News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 16, 2017, 01:47:04 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 16, 2017, 01:35:38 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on January 14, 2017, 01:29:15 PM
VDOT erred when it didn't extend the 4th lane to Prince William Pkwy as part of the 4th lane addition south from Newington.  It was needed then and would've predated the HOT lanes contract.

Would that also have required that the Purple Heart Bridge over the Occoquan River be widened?  Not cheap.

Per Kozel's website there was trouble getting funding for the 4th lane project in the 2002-2007 6-year program, but that ROW was essentially already in hand.  However, expanding the project south to PW Pkwy would have had a huge ROW cost especially in the Occoquan Rd (old VA 253) overpass area.

This was also about the time that the bottom fell out of the VDOT budget due to reduced driving and the refusal of the  Virginia General Assembly to raise the per-gallon tax on motor fuel.

It is also notable that the express lanes also back up occasionally from people exiting at PW PKwy using the exit only lane that drops the HOT lanes from 3 lanes to 2.  I always though that 3rd lane should extend to Dale City flyover exit.

How often does that happen?  Sounds like Transurban needs to raise the price for trips south of the Prince William Parkway.

The Purple Heart Bridge was widened for the 4th lane project.  The 4th lane makes it to the VA 123 interchange.

Right you are.  I had mixed VA-123 (Gordon Boulevard) and VA-294 (Prince William Parkway) in my  mind for some reason.  I always thought there was little room to widen I-95 between VA-123 and VA-294 (especially southbound), but a look at Google Maps appears to indicate that vacant land is there, though  adding another lane southbound might be expensive (regardless of who pays for it).

The backup at the PW Pkwy exit from the HOT lanes happens at least once a week, sometimes twice.  A substantial portion of traffic exits here.  The problem is whatever is happening at the other end of the ramp, which goes directly into a park and ride lot.  Raising the tolls south of the PW Pkwy wouldn't change anything about this IMO.

Yeah, a lot of car-pool traffic enters northbound and exits southbound at this point.  I can  recall the days before the HOV lanes were extended south from Springfield, there were HOV-only ramps to serve what was then signed as the "Horner Road Commuter Lot," and the lot has grown significantly since then (lots of slug line activity here).

It is dangerous on the HOT lanes because traffic is whizzing by at 65+ mph in the remaining 2 through lanes and the 3rd lane is at a stop.  Some people try to dart out from a standstill back into the through lanes to presumably go to the Dale City exit instead.

Agreed. Wonder if these are the same drivers that illegally used the crossovers south of VA-784 to get from the conventional lanes to the (then) HOV lanes before Transurban took over?

Regardless, I think Transurban has an obligation to deal with this problem.

FYI - The PW Pkwy exit is the next-to-last exit in the middle tolling segment, which is routinely $10 for the full segment.  The last segment to Garrisonville varies widely from as little as $6 but does routinely reach $17.

Wonder if that $17 will come down some when the lanes are extended further south?  Even at the lower price, Transurban should be making even more money after the extension.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

WTOP reports the CTB will vote this morning on extending the I-95 HO/T lanes ten miles south to Route 17 at Falmouth:

http://wtop.com/sprawl-crawl/2017/01/vote-set-advance-10-mile-95-express-lane-lane-extension-toll-lane-changes-works/
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jmiles32

Recent Developments Concerning the I-95/I-395 HOT Lanes Extensions

On Tuesday Governor McAuliffe approved a $500 million deal with Transurban to extend the I-395 express lanes 8 miles north from Edsall Rd to the D.C line
http://www.equipmentworld.com/virginia-accepts-proposal-for-500-million-8-mile-extension-of-i-395-express-lanes/
Improvements Include:
-Adding a third reversible lane from Edsall Road to just south of Eads Street near the Pentagon;
-Improving the Eads Street interchange and transit and carpool access at the Pentagon;
-Adding a fourth regular southbound lane on I-395 between Duke Street and Edsall Road;
-Rehabilitating five bridges over I-395; and
-New sound walls to protect neighboring communities.

On the opposite end of the I-95/I-395 HOT lanes, there are upcoming infomation meetings regarding the recently CTB approved plans to extend the I-95 express lanes 10 miles south from Garrisonville Rd to US-17 near Fredricksburg.
http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/fredericksburg/meetings-set-for-proposed-express-lanes-extension/article_543f76c5-ceed-5e71-bb09-f2a0fb1c53b2.html

I also found an interesting idea by Fix VA-28 that would have this southern extension be 4 lanes(2 lanes in each direction) instead of just 2 reversible lanes.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Gx6a9gUUK9uCrUznPebUYMPfK0E&ll=38.43402365365768%2C-77.42869960000002&z=11
This idea makes sense because of how long it would take to switch the express lanes from one direction to the other when they stretch around 50 miles(D.C to Fredericksburg) or possibly even further should they be extended again.

Fixed typos due to the $500 million just being written as $500.   -Mark
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 04, 2017, 08:51:36 PM
I also found an interesting idea by Fix VA-28 that would have this southern extension be 4 lanes(2 lanes in each direction) instead of just 2 reversible lanes.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Gx6a9gUUK9uCrUznPebUYMPfK0E&ll=38.43402365365768%2C-77.42869960000002&z=11
This idea makes sense because of how long it would take to switch the express lanes from one direction to the other when they stretch around 50 miles(D.C to Fredericksburg) or possibly even further should they be extended again.

Is there room for that without having to do major construction work on the conventional (unmanaged and "free") roadways?  The median of I-95 gets a fair amount narrower between VA-8900 (Exit 136, Centreport Parkway) and VA-630 (Exit 140, Courthouse Road at Stafford), in particular at the bridge that carries VA-628 (American Legion Road) over I-95.

As for reversing the lanes, yes, that takes some time, especially when switching from northbound (usually AM) operation to southbound (usually PM) operation in the middle of most weekdays.  The opposite reversal from southbound to northbound is usually done late at night (except on Saturdays) and is usually not as much of an issue.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Jmiles32

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 05, 2017, 09:28:07 AM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 04, 2017, 08:51:36 PM

Is there room for that without having to do major construction work on the conventional (unmanaged and "free") roadways?  The median of I-95 gets a fair amount narrower between VA-8900 (Exit 136, Centreport Parkway) and VA-630 (Exit 140, Courthouse Road at Stafford), in particular at the bridge that carries VA-628 (American Legion Road) over I-95.

That is correct. Downsides to this idea include a lack of median space on some parts of I-95, requiring additional major construction work to expand the median, which would certainly effect the the regular lanes. The public would probably not be to thrilled about this as it would cause even more closures and delays on arguably the worst part of I-95 in the state. There will also likely be an extremely high cost to this project. Not sure yet if this extension will be financed by the state or private sector(Transburban).

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Temporary I-395 HOV lane closures start this week

QuoteWork crews are scheduled to begin preparations this week for summer construction of the Interstate 395 Express Lanes. Preliminary work March 8-12, overlapping into the early hours of March 13, will temporarily close the high-occupancy vehicle lanes.

QuoteThe crews will be surveying and conducting other work starting 8 p.m. Wednesday, March 8.

QuoteTo accommodate the activity, the HOV lanes will be closed overnight; Virginia Department of Transportation says the lanes will reopen for morning rush hour. The work will continue into the weekend, including Sunday morning, and wrap up for the start of next Monday morning's rush hour.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Northern Va. toll lanes to move forward

QuoteToll lanes on Interstate 395 are set to take another step forward next week, when a state transportation panel is expected to approve a $45 million loan for the project.

QuoteThe Virginia Transportation Infrastructure Bank Advisory Panel will recommend Tuesday that the Commonwealth Transportation Board approve the loan to Transurban, the operator of the existing 95 and 495 Express Lanes.

QuoteThe loan would be repaid within 30 years of the end of construction through toll payments, beginning with interest payments in June 2020 and principal payments in December 2024.

cpzilliacus

Fredericksburg.com (The Free Lance-Star): Will express lanes ever reach into Spotsylvania?

QuoteWith last week's revelation that a new design concept would build lanes for the southbound Rappahannock River crossing project in the median of Interstate 95, some wondered what happened to the original plan to extend the express lanes to the Massaponax area.

QuoteIt appears that any plan to stretch the electronically toll lanes (which run in the median) to Massaponax died some time ago, based on financial reasons. The crossing project's new plans seemed to toss more dirt onto the southern extension's grave.

QuoteBut that doesn't mean the express lane extension couldn't be revived.

QuoteThe crossing project's new plan to build three lanes in the I—95 median between U.S. 17 and State Route 3 "doesn't prevent the express lanes from going further south,"  said Paul Agnello, administrator of the Fredericksburg Area Metropolitan Planning Organization. "I think it's still very possible."

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 22, 2017, 11:14:56 AM
Fredericksburg.com (The Free Lance-Star): Will express lanes ever reach into Spotsylvania?
QuoteWith last week's revelation that a new design concept would build lanes for the southbound Rappahannock River crossing project in the median of Interstate 95, some wondered what happened to the original plan to extend the express lanes to the Massaponax area.
QuoteIt appears that any plan to stretch the electronically toll lanes (which run in the median) to Massaponax died some time ago, based on financial reasons. The crossing project's new plans seemed to toss more dirt onto the southern extension's grave.
QuoteBut that doesn't mean the express lane extension couldn't be revived.
QuoteThe crossing project's new plan to build three lanes in the I—95 median between U.S. 17 and State Route 3 "doesn't prevent the express lanes from going further south,"  said Paul Agnello, administrator of the Fredericksburg Area Metropolitan Planning Organization. "I think it's still very possible."

The extension to Massaponax would be nice, but at about $50 million per mile would cost about $1.0 billion to construct.

If tolled at the same rate as the existing I-95 HOT lanes, that would be about 30 cents per mile in low traffic periods, about 50 cents per mile in medium traffic periods, and about a dollar per mile in peak traffic periods.

That would be rather pricey, but there are enough ramps that there would be at least 4 independent segments that you could choose to use or not use.

I use the I-95 and I-495 HOT lanes on my occasional trips (about 3 or 4 per year) thru the area, and I have paid peak hour tolls anywhere from $18 to $27 for the combined trip, and IMHO the benefits are well worth it, have done it at the height of the morning rush hour numerous times.

Not sure what I would do if a daily commuter!

I think the HOT lanes are a great concept, but what happens when traffic steadily grows over the next 10 years to where it takes $50 or $60 for my trip, in order to price the usage to a level where traffic stays free flowing?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

The extra cost to extend the lanes is only $350M as they are already slated to come down to US 17 Falmouth with construction starting in a couple years.

If tied in correctly, the  Rappahannock Project lanes below Falmouth would provide the same sort of function as if the HOT lanes were being extended to VA 3.

I am a daily user of the toll lanes and find them to be worthwhile. I do not have to use all segments everyday in both directions so that helps keep toll totals down.

vdeane

It would be great is the express lanes could be extended further south.  That whole area where they would have been was a glorified parking lot when I was driving back from the Beckley meet.

If I remember right, the cost to build that section was to have been offset by the tolls collected in Arlington.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 22, 2017, 12:47:51 PM
The extra cost to extend the lanes is only $350M as they are already slated to come down to US 17 Falmouth with construction starting in a couple years.

That is 10 miles extension.  To south of US-17 at Massaponax is another 8 miles including a river bridge; maybe another $350 million?

If tied in correctly, the  Rappahannock Project lanes below Falmouth would provide the same sort of function as if the HOT lanes were being extended to VA 3.

But wouldn't all lanes be general purpose between US-17 Falmouth and VA-3?

I am a daily user of the toll lanes and find them to be worthwhile. I do not have to use all segments everyday in both directions so that helps keep toll totals down.

That is good to hear!

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

I use the Beltway lanes regularly, though less frequently since SafeTrack ended at our end of the Blue Line. It's well worth it, even on a rainy day like May 12 when we paid $20.30 from I-66 to Springfield. In general, the higher the toll is, the more likely the lanes are to be worth it–in my unscientific observation, the variable tolling seems to have the desired effect of pricing out some people, as we usually find ourselves doing 60 to 70 mph regardless of the price. When we go that way, we're home from downtown–or really from the bridge–in half an hour, versus an hour via I-395 or the streets at rush hour. (I say "from the bridge" to recognize that the traffic getting out of the city is a complete crapshoot.)

Now, if it were $20 every day I might find a different route even if it took longer! More typically it's around $11 at 6:00 PM.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on May 22, 2017, 01:41:03 PM

Yes but if the HOT lanes end in a way where one can go from them directly to the C/D lanes for US 17 and VA 3, this (from I-95's mainline point of view) would be same as if the HOT lanes made it separately to VA 3.  Especially since it would then also be possible to go from HOT lanes to C/D lanes to south of VA 3 before rejoining I-95...

If the HOT lanes end so that everyone has to get onto mainline I-95 before getting into the C/D lanes, then this adds traffic to mainline 95 that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

On the beltway if the toll gets to about $25 that usually means there is a problem in the HOT lanes...

On I-95 SB they are pretty good about letting drivers know that the HOT lanes are backed up from their Garrisonville endpoint and for me the time is about the same to get back onto mainline 95 at Dumfries but at a savings of $10-15.  This is true because the HOT lanes become slower than mainline when they are backed up more than a mile or so.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 22, 2017, 03:29:42 PM
Yes but if the HOT lanes end in a way where one can go from them directly to the C/D lanes for US 17 and VA 3, this (from I-95's mainline point of view) would be same as if the HOT lanes made it separately to VA 3.  Especially since it would then also be possible to go from HOT lanes to C/D lanes to south of VA 3 before rejoining I-95...

If the HOT lanes end so that everyone has to get onto mainline I-95 before getting into the C/D lanes, then this adds traffic to mainline 95 that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

That is the plan, but the C-D roadway would be general purpose and could still become congested, although there will be 5 directional lanes between US-17 and VA-3 instead of the current 3 lanes.

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/fredericksburg/i-95_express_lanes_fredericksburg_extension.asp
I-95 Express Lanes Fredericksburg Extension

"This project would extend I-95 Express Lanes approximately 10 miles south of Route 610 (Garrisonville Road) in Stafford County to the vicinity of Route 17 (I-95 Exit 133)."

"The facility is proposed to connect to the I-95 Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing project, and if funded in the future, the I-95 Northbound Rappahannock River Crossing project."

On the beltway if the toll gets to about $25 that usually means there is a problem in the HOT lanes...

On I-95 SB they are pretty good about letting drivers know that the HOT lanes are backed up from their Garrisonville endpoint and for me the time is about the same to get back onto mainline 95 at Dumfries but at a savings of $10-15.  This is true because the HOT lanes become slower than mainline when they are backed up more than a mile or so.

One time approaching VA-234 while SB I saw a toll of something like $25, and thought "that must be an error", so I did not exit the HOT lanes there, and met up with a huge traffic jam at the end.  Big mistake!  I should have taken the clue and exited to the general purpose lanes near VA-234, they would have been faster.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on May 22, 2017, 08:40:46 PM

One time approaching VA-234 while SB I saw a toll of something like $25, and thought "that must be an error", so I did not exit the HOT lanes there, and met up with a huge traffic jam at the end.  Big mistake!  I should have taken the clue and exited to the general purpose lanes near VA-234, they would have been faster.

About the highest toll I've seen on the last segment of 95 that had little to no queue at the Garrisonville flyover was around $18. 

The illusion is that if the HOT lanes are wide open down only 4 more miles from the Dumfries exit to the forming queue (this happens only once in a while or on holiday Thurs and Fri) and 95 mainline is backed up the entire 9 miles, it is faster to take the mainline.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on May 22, 2017, 08:40:46 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on May 22, 2017, 03:29:42 PM

That is the plan, but the C-D roadway would be general purpose and could still become congested, although there will be 5 directional lanes between US-17 and VA-3 instead of the current 3 lanes.

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/fredericksburg/i-95_express_lanes_fredericksburg_extension.asp
I-95 Express Lanes Fredericksburg Extension

I posted this earlier on the General VA forum, but now it may be more relevant here
  http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/transportation/new-concept-for-rappahannock-river-crossing-project-on-interstate/article_78f3edd0-b7d4-5004-861a-e0afd5ba9c4c.html
The good news is that instead of building new CD lanes outside of the I-95 regular lanes, a new 3 lane I-95 south will be built within the existing I-95 median. This would increase the current 3 southbound lanes from US-17 to VA-3 to 6 southbound lanes, unlike the original design which increases it to only 5 southbound lanes. Unfortunately I have yet to see a graphic of what this would look like.

I'm actually pretty excited to see how VDOT plans to connect the future terminus of the I-95 HOT lanes Fredricksburg Extension to the Rappahannock River Crossing Project. Hopefully its a very good design because if done correctly, then extending the HOT lanes further south into Spotsylvaina might not be needed for while. On the other hand I think it is extremly important for the CTB to somehow find funding for the currently not funded Northernbound Rappahannock Crossing Project as it is vital for this whole thing to be fully successful.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on May 22, 2017, 01:32:04 PM
If I remember right, the cost to build that section was to have been offset by the tolls collected in Arlington.

The original plans had the managed lanes running up I-395 all the way to the last  access/egress point before the  Potomac River and D.C. 

A member of the Arlington County Board (I think this is the only county legislative body in the Commonwealth that does not style itself as a "board of supervisors" or "board of county  supervisors") was virulently opposed to the project, and got his fellow board members to agree to try and stop it in federal court.  That effectively truncated the managed lanes at the south end, even though that objecting member left the Arlington County Board several years ago.

So now those lanes crossing the City  of Alexandria and running into Arlington County  will happen as HOV/Toll lanes, though at the south end, they are not going to run all the way to Massaponax, at least not now.

1995hoo

Does anyone know if there is a Transurban policy not to go after people for a certain minimal unpaid toll? Ms1995hoo got a new car over Memorial Day weekend and I immediately added it to our E-ZPass account, but the adhesive tapes (plastic Velcro) didn't come until Saturday. Last Friday the traffic was bad coming home from work, so I went ahead and used the I-95 lanes from Turkeycock to the Franconia—Springfield Parkway and registered the plate number afterwards via ExpressLanes.com to be e-mailed a toll invoice. They've never sent an invoice and have not charged our E-ZPass account (Sunday's two trips on the Beltway, in the same car but with a transponder, posted last night). Do you think I need to be concerned about it? I checked all my spam folders and the like and found nothing, and I can no longer search for a trip online because you can only do that within five days (which I did do and a trip never posted).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 09:39:52 AM
Does anyone know if there is a Transurban policy not to go after people for a certain minimal unpaid toll? Ms1995hoo got a new car over Memorial Day weekend and I immediately added it to our E-ZPass account, but the adhesive tapes (plastic Velcro) didn't come until Saturday. Last Friday the traffic was bad coming home from work, so I went ahead and used the I-95 lanes from Turkeycock to the Franconia—Springfield Parkway and registered the plate number afterwards via ExpressLanes.com to be e-mailed a toll invoice. They've never sent an invoice and have not charged our E-ZPass account (Sunday's two trips on the Beltway, in the same car but with a transponder, posted last night). Do you think I need to be concerned about it? I checked all my spam folders and the like and found nothing, and I can no longer search for a trip online because you can only do that within five days (which I did do and a trip never posted).

I would be proactive and check with Transurban if I was you.  There's a "Missed a toll" button on this Web site (I think it covers the 95Express and 495Express facilities).

1995hoo

The "Missed a Toll" button is what I used last Friday night right after getting home. You put in your plate number, the relevant date(s), and an e-mail address and they're supposed to e-mail you when your trip is up for billing. I got a confirmation that I'd done all that and then never got an e-mail billing us.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 11:15:09 AM
The "Missed a Toll" button is what I used last Friday night right after getting home. You put in your plate number, the relevant date(s), and an e-mail address and they're supposed to e-mail you when your trip is up for billing. I got a confirmation that I'd done all that and then never got an e-mail billing us.

I assert at that point you have done everything you could on your end. 

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 09, 2017, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 11:15:09 AM

I assert at that point you have done everything you could on your end. 

Interesting follow-up. I called them to ask about it and she said it was billed to our E-ZPass, so there's nothing to do. I checked and indeed it posted this morning (sometime after 7:30).

That's interesting news to me because it means they DO query at least the Virginia E-ZPass database before billing you–as noted above, I had added the plate number to our account and simply didn't have the transponder with us. This is good to know that they do that now, as it also eases my mind about a transponder battery going dead.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 11:30:54 AM
That's interesting news to me because it means they DO query at least the Virginia E-ZPass database before billing you–as noted above, I had added the plate number to our account and simply didn't have the transponder with us. This is good to know that they do that now, as it also eases my mind about a transponder battery going dead.

My guess is that it is pretty easy for them  to query some sort of consolidated database with license plate numbers from all of the states in the E-ZPass Group. In theory at least, this is why they ask for the registration plate number of your car or cars in the first place.

mrsman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 09, 2017, 03:34:24 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 11:30:54 AM

My guess is that it is pretty easy for them  to query some sort of consolidated database with license plate numbers from all of the states in the E-ZPass Group. In theory at least, this is why they ask for the registration plate number of your car or cars in the first place.

Similar story.  When the ICC first opened, there was a brief, free-trial period that I utilized to tour the road before the toll was implemented.  At the time, we had one EZ-Pass transponder which was placed on my wife's car which we tended to use for our out of state trips.  My car was registered to the account, but the transponder was not in my car when I drove the ICC.  I figured that I did not need a transponder for a free trip.  It came as a surprise to see my trip come in our EZ-Pass statement showing my trip (with a $0 toll) in a car that did not have a transponder.  You are right that it is a good policy for them to keep track of trips that are made in case a battery goes down.

For the record, now we have two transponders tied to the same account so we can use either car on an EZPass facility without concern.  Both vehicles are registered with EZ-Pass.

As a slight off-topic note, I wonder if the use of a grand data base would be the easiest method to achieve national interoperability between the many different toll agencies around the country.  AFAIK, the different agencies use different technologies and cannot easily be interchanged in large scale, even though you hear of small scale interoperability (like TX-OK-KS).  The EZ-Pass in my car will probably never work in FL, TX, or CA, but if my license plate were somehow on a registry with those states I could probably (at some point, not now) drive on their toll roads without incurring an administrative penalty.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.