News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recycled Road Signs

Started by KEK Inc., March 22, 2013, 07:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

I wouldn't be surprised if most road signs are recycled; however, there are some instances where it's pretty obvious that the sign is recycled. 

In Seattle, I noticed a freeway-sized speed limit sign was turned into a mini-guide sign.  Both sides look pretty old.

Front of sign (current sign):
http://goo.gl/maps/vVv0t

Back of sign:
http://goo.gl/maps/U200i
Take the road less traveled.

ctsignguy

Here is a STOP sign recycled into a US 3 shield...

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 22, 2013, 07:14:10 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if most road signs are recycled; however, there are some instances where it's pretty obvious that the sign is recycled. 

In Seattle, I noticed a freeway-sized speed limit sign was turned into a mini-guide sign.  Both sides look pretty old.

Front of sign (current sign):
http://goo.gl/maps/vVv0t

Back of sign:
http://goo.gl/maps/U200i

if the speed limit was patched from 60 to 50, it would predate the 1974 national speed limit.

the front of the sign features a '70 spec shield, but with the custom Washington font for number 5.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Quote from: NE2 on March 22, 2013, 08:53:13 AM

:bigass:
So you're supposed to keep right of the barrier but still pretend you're in the UK when going around the circle?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2013, 11:45:03 AM

So you're supposed to keep right of the barrier but still pretend you're in the UK when going around the circle?
That median needs to see the underside of a lawn mower, too.

Ian

Albany County, NY likes to reuse their old signs by creating a new one on the back of the former one. In most cases, they do a very poor job of cleaning the sheeting off of the old message. Here is an example of a CR 201 shield in Voorheesville. Front:

Back:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kj3400

Not going to lie, the old sign looks better than the new sign.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Billy F 1988

The South Hills region of Missoula has some white shoulder markers made by recycled street blades. You can see some of the lettering on them, too. They're right in front of the Lewis and Clark Square.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PurdueBill

This pic of mine on Steve's web site shows a very recycled pair of signs on old US 24 between Peru and Logansport, Indiana.

The fronts of the signs look completely normal; only from the back can you tell they are recycled.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

The former Triborough Road sign on NJ 24 WB for never-completed Exit 5 (built as a cloverleaf, overpasses now used as an ATV trail) was chopped up and brought over to NJ 3, as I only discovered a few years ago after despairing I was just barely too late to see it on 24:

Mdcastle

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Wrong logo, wrong positioning, and wrong direction.

Perfect.

Mapmikey

Re-use of a VA 160 cutout...this was gone in GMSV

Mapmikey

cu2010

Need to weight-post your town roads to keep trucks off them during spring thaw? Don't have the right signs? Don't have signposts to put them on? Just improvise!

Plenty more like 'em around here, too...a lot of them could certainly qualify as "the worst of road signs"...fortunately they're only up for a few weeks of the year...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

sp_redelectric

Tigard, Oregon frequently re-uses old signs with new retro-reflective sheeting for speed limit signs, as well as recycle signs for No Parking signs.  You can often see the old sign on the back of a No Parking sign, or underneath the new sheeting layer.

getemngo

At the Dubuque meet last weekend, we saw some shields (US 61, I think) that used to be Do Not Pass and Pass With Care signs.
~ Sam from Michigan

formulanone

A "Push to Cross" / "No Parking" hybrid...located in Margate, Florida:

hbelkins

Quote from: getemngo on May 09, 2013, 06:15:59 PM
At the Dubuque meet last weekend, we saw some shields (US 61, I think) that used to be Do Not Pass and Pass With Care signs.

I went back after the meet tour and got photos. I plan to post them in the "Recycled Signs" thread.

Oh wait, this is that thread!  :biggrin:

These are on the old road that runs north of the WI 11/WI 35 intersection.

Looks like these used to be US 10 shields

IMG_2436 by hbelkins, on Flickr

This one is the top two-thirds of an old "Pass With Care" sign

IMG_2439 by hbelkins, on Flickr

Kinda hard to see, but this one is the top two-thirds of an old "Do Not Pass" sign

IMG_2440 by hbelkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr. Matté

Also some things I've seen on my bike ride today but didn't get to photograph: I saw on the back of a road name plaque what was definitely once a diagrammatic "STOP AHEAD" sign and like this, Mercer County DOT loves to repurpose old county route shields by pasting over new numbers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.