News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Oddly specific distances on signs

Started by Takumi, April 22, 2013, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on April 23, 2013, 02:36:37 PM
They're for checking braking distances of a Honda Prelude.
So the 298 feet is with the stock brakes from xx mph, while the 186 feet is with the aftermarket brakes on mine from the same speed. Got it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Road Hog

The speed limit on the University of Mississippi campus is 18 mph in honor of Archie Manning.

kphoger

Do all the speed limit signs come with models?
(Is anyone else thinking of Denmark right now?)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2013, 11:23:54 AM
Is it me or does she appear pregnant in that photo?

sometimes people are pregnant.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 24, 2013, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2013, 11:23:54 AM
Is it me or does she appear pregnant in that photo?

sometimes people are pregnant.
No kidding, but having an attractive & seemingly young, pregnant woman posing as a model in a photo on a university campus doesn't quite send the right message for parents of prospective students applying for admission.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

is that some kind of official photo?  I thought it was just borrowed from J. Arthur Random's facebook page.

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 24, 2013, 12:02:33 PMI thought it was just borrowed from J. Arthur Random's facebook page.
Random('s) Facebook page... interesting. :hmmm:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on April 24, 2013, 01:28:59 PM
Looks like Tetazoo work to me.

is that where you lived?  I was on 5W, which - as far as I remember - did not have a nickname.

jake@aaroads.com

djsinco

I didn't want to start a new thread, and this is a stretch to be on topic here, but here I go anyway...

I drove I-81 S in VA for the first time in years earlier this year. In the northern part of the state, (I cannot remember where,) there was a sign listing the 3 exits available for the next town. It could have been Lexington, Harrisonburg, Staunton, or some other, but in that part of the state. The sign read "Town Name," exits xxx,xxx,xxx with no spaces. It made it look like the exit number was 100 million plus.

I wish I had the presence of mind to stop and take a pic. Does anyone know which town this is, and/or the mile marker of this sign?
3 million miles and counting

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DTComposer

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 23, 2013, 02:29:11 AM
Can't be any worse than these two curve advisory signs on Quito Road in the San Jose area...

I could swear that at least one of those used to be different...17 or 18 or 19? I remember it being under 20.

Did they re-engineer the curve for a higher design speed? :)

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on April 24, 2013, 01:49:38 PM
PS: the photo is actually from here: http://www.olemissmom.com/2009/08/back-to-beginning.html

Thank you for clearing up the mystery.  So the lady in the photo was not a student when the picture was taken.  Her son Rhodes was born 36 days after the picture was taken.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2013, 05:18:09 PM
PS: the photo is actually from here: http://www.olemissmom.com/2009/08/back-to-beginning.html

Thank you for clearing up the mystery.  So the lady in the photo was not a student when the picture was taken.  Her son Rhodes was born 36 days after the picture was taken.
RHODES! </second Randomite on this thread>

Brandon

A rather apt name given the topic of this forum.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

myosh_tino

Quote from: DTComposer on April 24, 2013, 03:50:14 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on April 23, 2013, 02:29:11 AM
Can't be any worse than these two curve advisory signs on Quito Road in the San Jose area...

I could swear that at least one of those used to be different...17 or 18 or 19? I remember it being under 20.

Did they re-engineer the curve for a higher design speed? :)
I thought so too.  The two GSV images in my post were on taken as you drive south on Quito Road.  If you drive north on Quito Road, you'll encounter a 22 MPH advisory sign and a 19 MPH advisory sign (Google Street View image).  The 19 MPH sign is for the same curve as the 21 MPH advisory sign but going in the opposite direction.

The northbound lane is the inner lane on the curve so I guess that's why the advisory limit is 2 MPH less.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on April 24, 2013, 09:13:42 PM
Thank you for clearing up the mystery.
You can fish too!
http://www.google.com/insidesearch/features/images/searchbyimage.html

Right, but it still would have taken quite a bit of poking around in the blog to verify the dates.  ;-)
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

There is a sign on IL 83 announcing the exit for Ogden Ave in 1/3 mile.  Probably not the only one, but can't be all that common.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

myosh_tino

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 25, 2013, 12:21:31 PM
There is a sign on IL 83 announcing the exit for Ogden Ave in 1/3 mile.  Probably not the only one, but can't be all that common.
I've never seen "1/3 MILE" however, the advance guide sign for northbound San Antonio Road from southbound US 101 features a "1/8 MILE" designation.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

I have seen a 1/3 somewhere in California but I definitely do not remember where. 

I remember it being used in New England a few times in the 90s.  I-84 in Connecticut maybe??

jake@aaroads.com

kj3400

Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

PHLBOS

I've seen 1/3 MILE and 1/8 MILE used on MA BGS'.  The original 70s-era BGS for the advance-notice for the MA 114 East (originally marked as South) exit off US 1 South in Danvers had a 1/8 MILE reference.  The current BGS now reads EXIT 800 FEET.

Along I-95 North in the same general area (Exits 47A-B), both the original and current advance-notice BGS for MA 114 West (Exit 47B) list 1/3 MILE references.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 25, 2013, 02:37:13 PM
I have seen a 1/3 somewhere in California but I definitely do not remember where. 

I remember it being used in New England a few times in the 90s.  I-84 in Connecticut maybe??

There were several 1/3 mile advance signs in Massachusetts for awhile, usually for the second exit at cloverleafs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.