News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State (or County) Line Roads

Started by Darkchylde, June 27, 2013, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkchylde

So living where I am now, my apartment is in Missouri, but only about three blocks away from Kansas. Right on the state line in this area (except for a two block deviation due to a waterway,) there is State Line Road, which sits right on the state line between Missouri and Kansas. It's aptly named - literally, one can walk from one state to the other by crossing the road.

This has led me to ask, are there any other prominent roads such as State Line? I know there's another such road in Texarkana, but are there any others y'all can think of?

1995hoo

State Street in Bristol (straddles Virginia/Tennessee state line) and another in Delmar (straddles Delaware/Maryland state line)

State Line Avenue in Texarkana

I'm not sure if rue Canusa in Beebe, Quebec, actually straddles the border or if it just runs directly adjacent to it, but it seems to fit here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

0 Ave in Canada runs along the border, just east of the WA-543/BC-15 border crossing. 

I think if you do a little driving on grass, you can execute an illegal border hop.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Many flat midwestern states have state line roads. A large part of the US/Canada border has roads on either side of the international border, often with only a ditch or canal between the Canadian and American road.

Avalanchez71

What about the state line road that stradles Ardmore, TN and Ardmore, AL?

NWI_Irish96

I'm not sure exactly what qualifies something as prominent, but there is a State Line Rd separating Chicago from Hammond running from 106th St to 112th St, then farther south it picks up again separating Calumet City/Lansing from Hammond running from just north of Sibley Blvd to just north of the Kingery/Borman.

There are plenty of other places along Indiana's borders with IL/MI/OH that have a State Line Rd, but the IN/KY border has no such road.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Brandon

Quote from: realjd on June 27, 2013, 04:19:01 PM
Many flat midwestern states have state line roads. A large part of the US/Canada border has roads on either side of the international border, often with only a ditch or canal between the Canadian and American road.

Exactly.  There's a bunch of county and state line roads across the Midwest due to the PLSS and its associated meridians and parallels.  Not all of them are prominent however.  Some in the Chicago area that are major roads in their own right are:

Lake-Cook Road.
County Line Road (Cook/DuPage south of Hinsdale).
Harlem Avenue (IL-43).
Base Line Road (US-30).

Then there's State Line Avenue separating Chicago and Calumet City, Illinois from Hammond, Indiana (interrupted by Wolf Lake).

A lot of the others are minor roads that are there due to the PLSS:

183rd St, Will-Cook Rd, 135th St, Steger Rd, County Line Rd (Will-Kendall), 87th St among others.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 27, 2013, 04:42:39 PMthe IN/KY border has no such road.

are there any roads anywhere which parallel a river and are called State Line Road? 

more generally - are there any State Line Roads which are not straight and an obvious result of a land apportionment survey?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Two in Southeastern PA: 

City Ave. (or City Line Ave. aka US 1) falls along the Philadelphia/Montgomery County line (City of Philadelphia/Lower Merion Township).

County Line Road runs in a northwesterly direction from PA 532 (Bustleton Ave.) to Allentown Road and divides Bucks County from Philadelphia (for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile) and Montgomery Counties.  The northern side of the road is all Bucks County and the southern side is Montgomery & Philadlephia County.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

oscar

Western Avenue along the D.C./Maryland border might qualify.  The street is entirely within D.C., but Maryland starts at the northern edge.

This causes headaches for Maryland residents living on the avenue, who can't get permits for street parking since D.C. owns the street and won't issue permits for non-District residents. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

tdindy88

Marion County (Indianapolis) had, I believe, at one time three (maybe four) County Line Roads for the west, east and south edges of the county. The north county line is 96th Street and I think it's always been that way. However through the years West County Line Road was renamed to Raceway Road and East County Line Road became Carroll Road. South County Line Road has since become County Line Road. In the northwest part of the county there is also a Township Line Road to designate the boundary between Pike and Washington Townships.

theline

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 27, 2013, 04:42:39 PM
There are plenty of other places along Indiana's borders with IL/MI/OH that have a State Line Rd, but the IN/KY border has no such road.

For the KY/IN border, how about Waterworks Road, south of Evansville. If the Goog is to be believed, the state line runs along the road's edge for a short while: https://www.google.com/maps?q=Evansville,+IN&ll=37.926512,-87.552645&spn=0.007168,0.016512&sll=41.674720399475035,-86.27623253685643&sspn=0.2428778888927202,0.6595106170522954&t=h&dg=opt&hnear=Evansville,+Vanderburgh,+Indiana&z=17

Eth

Much of Moreland Avenue (US 23/SR 42) in Atlanta runs directly along the Fulton/DeKalb county line.

hobsini2

State Line Rd exists in several instances between WI and IL. Some of the more lengthy segments are (going east) from Warren IL to Winslow IL, N Chapel Rd (N of Freeport IL) to Wheeler Rd (just W of the Sugar River), in Beloit WI/South Beloit IL named Shirland Ave, WI 67 (actually north of the State Line) to Bissell Rd (NW of Hebron IL), Antioch IL (actually about a 1/2 mi in IL) to I-94 W Frontage Rd and Russell Rd/128th St about 1 1/2 miles E of I-94 to just E of IL 137/WI 32.

Also, Kautz Rd is the name given for the Kane-DuPage County Line Road.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Alps

There's a prominent County Line Rd. near the northern border of Ocean County, NJ that carries CR 528 at points. Then there is a discontiguous Province Line Rd. that traces the original East Jersey/West Jersey boundary*.
*There were a few different lines delineating the two provinces, but this is the one that lasted the longest.

Scott5114

The road along the Canadian—Oklahoma county line is County Line Road. Further south it picks up again with the same name and serves as the Grady—McClain county line.

Then, of course, there's the matter of OK-20/AR-43.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

UptownRoadGeek

State Line Rd separates Memphis, Tennessee proper from its Mississippi suburbs.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Steve on June 27, 2013, 07:06:34 PM
There's a prominent County Line Rd. near the northern border of Ocean County, NJ that carries CR 528 at points. Then there is a discontiguous Province Line Rd. that traces the original East Jersey/West Jersey boundary*.
*There were a few different lines delineating the two provinces, but this is the one that lasted the longest.

This road was an exciting discovery for me many years ago, as I imagine it would be for most political geography geeks, as it is (along with county lines) one of very few remaining vestiges of this unsolidified part of NJ history.  It's probably very little considered among today's New Jerseyans that not only was their state split into two separate proprietary colonies for decades, but for several decades after was in essence a vassal state of New York, which took a good chunk of NJ's northern end (Port Jervis, New Jersey, anyone?).  And New Jersey remains a place of constant division and struggle to this day.

bulldog1979

In Michigan, there are many county line roads in the Lower Peninsula that spring to mind. Many of them are named as portmanteaus of the adjacent county names, such as:

• Clarabella Road (Clare—Isabella)
  • Costabella Road (Mecosta—Isabella)
  • Grand Kal Road (Grand Traverse—Kalkaska)
  • Newcosta Road (Newaygo—Mecosta)
  • Mesceola Road (Mecosta—Osceola)
  • Kenowa Avenue (Kent—Ottawa, also used as the name along the Kent—Muskegon county line)
  • Ottogan (Ottawa—Allegan)
  • Clintonia (Clinton—Ionia)
Many others in the LP have names either unrelated to being a county line, or they're just named the generic "County Line Road" In the UP, I can't really think of any cases where there is a road that follows a county line, much less any fancy naming.

ce929wax

Baseline Road straddles several county lines in Southwest Michigan.  The road is discontinuous and is called Baseline Hwy in Eaton County.  Oh and whilst I am at it you have Vankal Rd (Van Buren-Kalamazoo), Van Buren St. (Van Buren-Cass) and Jackson Rd. (Calhoun-Jackson).

jwolfer

Quote from: Steve on June 27, 2013, 07:06:34 PM

County Line Road is CR 526.  The county line in that area is actually one of the branches of the Metedeconk River which is 100 or so yards north of the road.  CR 537 is actually the border between Monmouth and Ocean County a few miles to the west of County Line Road.  But its just called Route 537

Brandon

Quote from: ce929wax on June 27, 2013, 09:21:24 PM
Baseline Road straddles several county lines in Southwest Michigan.  The road is discontinuous and is called Baseline Hwy in Eaton County.  Oh and whilst I am at it you have Vankal Rd (Van Buren-Kalamazoo), Van Buren St. (Van Buren-Cass) and Jackson Rd. (Calhoun-Jackson).

And Base Line Road becomes major over between Oakland/Macomb Counties and Wayne County as 8 Mile Road, part of it being M-102.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JCinSummerfield

State Line Rd between Lucas County, OH and Monroe County, MI is unique in the fact that it is off the border for most of its' length.  It drifts both north and south of the border, not in a straight line like the border.

bugo

It would be utterly pointless to try to list all of the county line roads.  There are literally tens of thousands of examples across the country.

Doctor Whom

Quote from: oscar on June 27, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
Western Avenue along the D.C./Maryland border might qualify.
Ditto for Eastern and Southern Avenues.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.