News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Eureka, CA has another quake in 4 years

Started by bing101, March 10, 2014, 02:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

ET21

The West Coast is due for a big one. You could almost say the entire country is due for a big one in any one of Mother Nature's hazards department
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Road Hog

It'll take a hundred 6.9 quakes to bleed off what'll be an 8.9 when it hits.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

sdmichael

Large magnitude earthquakes are fairly common near the Triple Junction. So... a 6.9 or 6.5 isn't that big a deal. The Cascadia Subduction Zone, which hasn't seen a large event since 1700, is capable of a 9.0+. That fault runs from the Mendocino Fracture Zone north past Seattle, WA. It forms the boundary between the Juan De Fuca Plate and the North American Plate.

jeffandnicole

Wasn't the big one supposed to hit 20 years ago?

hm insulators

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2014, 02:06:36 PM

Of course, nature doesn't operate on human time-scales; it works on its own schedule. That being said, the West Coast has always been earthquake-prone, not just California but all up and down the coast and even into Canada. In California, of course, you have the infamous San Andreas Fault plus a host of others, known and unknown. Off the coast of the Pacific Northwest you have the Cascadia Fault Zone which has the potential to be nastier even than the San Andreas. (The other day I spent an entire afternoon reading a book called Cascadia at the Tempe, Arizona public library.) Unfortunately, we just have no way of knowing when these faults will let go and cause a disaster that might make Hurricane Katrina look minor. It could happen right now while you're reading this, or next week, or next year, or not for a hundred years or more.

:hmmm:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Brandon

Quote from: hm insulators on March 11, 2014, 04:16:05 PM

Of course, nature doesn't operate on human time-scales; it works on its own schedule. That being said, the West Coast has always been earthquake-prone, not just California but all up and down the coast and even into Canada. In California, of course, you have the infamous San Andreas Fault plus a host of others, known and unknown. Off the coast of the Pacific Northwest you have the Cascadia Fault Zone which has the potential to be nastier even than the San Andreas. (The other day I spent an entire afternoon reading a book called Cascadia at the Tempe, Arizona public library.) Unfortunately, we just have no way of knowing when these faults will let go and cause a disaster that might make Hurricane Katrina look minor. It could happen right now while you're reading this, or next week, or next year, or not for a hundred years or more.

:hmmm:

Very true, the Earth does not, has not, and never will work on human time scales (a reason why I laugh at certain "change" folks I've met).  Earthquakes are terribly hard to predict and do not occur on a schedule.  But, if you want serious disaster, wait until Yellowstone goes off.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brian556

QuoteBut, if you want serious disaster, wait until Yellowstone goes off.

or the next time I eat at Taco Bell!  :-D

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if the new Eastern span of the Bay bridge might resist to a 9.0 quake?
Then, one more worried thing, is there some nuclear reactors along the Western coast? I hope we won't get a Fukushima incident after the quake.

sdmichael

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 11, 2014, 09:34:26 PM
I wonder if the new Eastern span of the Bay bridge might resist to a 9.0 quake?
Then, one more worried thing, is there some nuclear reactors along the Western coast? I hope we won't get a Fukushima incident after the quake.

It doesn't have to withstand a 9.0... the SAF and the Hayward aren't capable of such. Maximum would be around 8.2 or so.

Brian556

From what I hear, it wasn't the quake that caused the problems at Fukashima; it was the tsunami.

Brandon

Quote from: Brian556 on March 11, 2014, 11:16:49 PM
From what I hear, it wasn't the quake that caused the problems at Fukashima; it was the tsunami.

Yes.  The plant survived the quake quite well in fact.  It just couldn't handle the rush of water coming in during the tsunami.  Many of these affected areas of Japan had seawalls of some sort to defend against tsunami, but during the quake, and because of the quake, the ground subsided about 3-5 feet.  This was just enough to make the tsunami a factor.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bing101

Which Big one? Hayward Fault in Oakland, CA. I know San Francisco Bay Area is overdue for a quake not so much the rest of California.

Stephane Dumas

There another quake in the LA area of 4.4 and some said it could be a foreshock to a bigger one.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-foreshock-20140317,0,2194994.story

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 17, 2014, 02:00:59 PM
There another quake in the LA area of 4.4 and some said it could be a foreshock to a bigger one.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-foreshock-20140317,0,2194994.story

Where have I heard that before?  Oh, yeah...EVERYTIME there's been a minor quake in the LA area, some say it could be a foreshock to a bigger one.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 17, 2014, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 17, 2014, 02:00:59 PM

Where have I heard that before?  Oh, yeah...EVERYTIME there's been a minor quake in the LA area, some say it could be a foreshock to a bigger one.

LOL!  That area sees hundreds of minor earthquakes everyday.  Most are never felt by anything other than instruments.  For all we know, that could be the big one for that fault at this time.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.