News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

City/town names ending with state abbreviations

Started by 2Co5_14, March 12, 2014, 01:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

sammi

bassoon1986

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on March 15, 2014, 09:22:34 PM
I'm going to assume that nowhere in the US does a city/town end with 'NJ'. Actually, does any word end with J?
close: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.N.P.J.,_Pennsylvania
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US81

I don't think I'll bother looking for Texas examples....

Duke87

A less open-ended question would be how many states this exists for. Down the list, we've got so far:

Normal, AL
Kodiak, AK
Morning Star, AR
La Paz, AZ
Manteca, CA
Frisco, CO
Prospect, CT
Brookside, DE
FL - ?
Tennga, GA
Puhi, HI
Philadelphia, IA
ID - ?
Franklin, IN
Virgil, IL
St. Marks, KS
KY - ?
Bayou Golla, LA
MA - none incorporated
MD - ?
Rome, ME
MI - none incorporated
MN - ?
Claycomo, MO
Fort Adams, MS
MT - ?   
NC - ?
ND - ?
Wayne, NE
NH - ?
NJ - ?
NM - ?
NV - ?
Albany, NY
OH - ?
Skiatook, OK
OR - ?
Aliquippa, PA
RI - none incorporated
SC - ?
SD - ?
TN - ?
TX - ?
Hideout, UT
Reva, VA
VT - ?   
Mattawa, WA
WI - ?
WV - ?
WY - ?

A few more look promising but some of the question marks are obvious nos.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sammi

J N Winkler

None in Kansas--the closest is Weskan (Kan. being an old-style abbreviation).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NE2

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 16, 2014, 01:23:29 PM
None in Kansas--the closest is Weskan (Kan. being an old-style abbreviation).
St. Mark's, along 29th North southwest of Colwich. The church is St. Mark but the school is St. Mark's, and USGS omits the apostrophe to get St. Marks.

There's also Rooks County.

Ghost towns include Brooks, Point Rocks, and Sparks.

bassoon1986

kurumi

Quote from: 1 on March 15, 2014, 09:23:48 PM
I'm going to assume that nowhere in the US does a city/town end with 'NJ'. Actually, does any word end with J?

No common words in English end with the letter j or the letter v.

"judge" should but doesn't; the beginning of the word even sets a precedent.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

sammi

Those that should end with -(d)ge or -ve, which strangely enough for English, is mostly consistent between words.

NE2

Improv? Perv? Shiv?

Takumi

Quote from: kurumi on March 16, 2014, 03:44:15 PM
"judge" should but doesn't; the beginning of the word even sets a precedent.
I see what you did there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Duke87

Updated above post, also added Skiatook, OK and Hideout, UT

NE2

Fort Adams, MS
Alabama, MA (it's where they posted those signs)
Katama, MA
Kenberma, MA
Wyoma, MA
It's hard to prove a negative.

J N Winkler

Quote from: NE2 on March 16, 2014, 01:36:40 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 16, 2014, 01:23:29 PMNone in Kansas--the closest is Weskan (Kan. being an old-style abbreviation).

St. Mark's, along 29th North southwest of Colwich. The church is St. Mark but the school is St. Mark's, and USGS omits the apostrophe to get St. Marks.

There's also Rooks County.

Ghost towns include Brooks, Point Rocks, and Sparks.

Points taken--I didn't extend the search past incorporated municipalities.  In regard to St. Mark, there is conflicting evidence.  GNIS has both church and populated place as "Saint Marks" (registration dates of 1978 for town, 2008 for church), but the church website gives it as St. Mark.  The church itself, which was built using limestone salvaged from the Wichita Watch Factory (a failed 1870's/1880's attempt to establish the town as a world center for watchmaking), is on the National Register of Historic Places and as such has a Wikipedia stub article.  The NPS' NRHP database isn't coming up for me at the moment, but the Wikipedia article uses the form without final s.  Facebook has a place page (possibly autogenerated from GNIS) for "Saint Marks," but YP.com has "St. Mark."  The KDOT map for Sedgwick County has "St. Marks" for the town and "St. Mark's Cem." for the cemetery behind the church (where at least a dozen of my ancestors are buried).

In regard to Texas, I don't know of any CDPs that end in the two-letter postal abbreviation, but a Google search on {Andratx, TX} comes up with interesting placename results.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NE2

There's also this local business that uses St. Mark's.

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 16, 2014, 06:01:11 PM
In regard to Texas, I don't know of any CDPs that end in the two-letter postal abbreviation, but a Google search on {Andratx, TX} comes up with interesting placename results.
Looks like bogus results, perhaps from Majorca being both the island that Andratx is on and a restaurant in Houston?

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on March 16, 2014, 05:15:33 PM
Katama, MA
Kenberma, MA
Wyoma, MA
It's hard to prove a negative.

None of these are incorporated places, so they aren't "City/town names" in the strictest sense. Since the list of incorporated places in any state is finite, it is easy to prove a negative for that simply by searching the list for the letter combination in question.

J N Winkler

This is a meta question, but what resources are people using to identify CDPs in particular states?

Duke87

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 16, 2014, 09:08:50 PM
This is a meta question, but what resources are people using to identify CDPs in particular states?

Wikipedia has lists. For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census-designated_places_in_Oklahoma
Although this does not include the contents of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Oklahoma (where my example came from), or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_Oklahoma

bassoon1986

PHLBOS

Quote from: pianocello on March 15, 2014, 03:02:52 PMUmm... because it doesn't exist? (If you could prove me wrong, that would be awesome)
Oops.  I didn't see the last line in the OP mentioning that the city/town had to be in the same state as its last 2-letters.  That's what I get for only glancing & typing too fast.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

East Oranj!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.