News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Biscuits and gravy at McDonald's

Started by bugo, March 19, 2014, 04:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: english si on March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 AMAnd 'biscuit' is a scone - the recipes are identical.

We have both at many places here.  It just costs $2 more when they call it a scone.

english si

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 24, 2014, 08:54:30 PMWe have both at many places here.  It just costs $2 more when they call it a scone.
Well of course it does - it's a poshness premium in the States!*

It's like how lardons are more expensive than bacon, despite the only difference being the way it has been cut (small cubes, rather than thin slices) - but 'lardons' are French, and therefore that little bit more pretentious-sounding, so you can charge more.

Or maybe it is just as what the scones come with is more expensive? Maybe the clotted cream is imported (that adds lots to the cost)?

*I hope it costs an extra dollar if you say 'scone' to rhyme with 'own', rather than 'on' as additional lar-de-dar tax.

hm insulators

When I lived in Hawaii, the McDonalds' over there offered saimin, a Japanese noodle soup (Top Ramen is a bastardized saimin). I wonder if that's still the case.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

roadman65

Grab what you can now, as McDonalds may have a strike soon!  That rumor about unions asking McDonalds to pay their help 15 dollars and hour may be fact soon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

It would never happen.  Here's why:

If the current staff at McDonalds did want to form a union, and the union demanded $15 an hour, and McDonalds said pound sand, the unions would say their members will strike.

McDonalds would say...OK, go ahead. 

McDonalds employees tend to be teens or adults that are making a few extra dollars, or teens or adults trying to earn money for school, living expenses, etc.  If they went out on strike, they would be earning nothing.

In the meantime, McDonalds gets a ton of applications from people every day, because you need very few skills to handle the main duties at a McDonalds.  And many people that are applying for jobs at McDonalds are doing so because they don't have the skills or qualifications to work elsewhere, or simply haven't been able to find steady employment elsewhere.

So...while the union employees are striking outside, McDonalds will continue to be fully staffed.  The union employees will quickly learn that their paychecks have stopped, and now their employment with McDonalds has stopped too.

oscar

Strikes at McD's are particularly unlikely in the short run, since the employees are not yet unionized.  They're getting support from unions, and some employees may belong individually to unions, but no union in the U.S. is authorized to bargain with McD's on behalf of its employees.  And McD's hasn't yet rolled out the full Wal-Mart playbook on staying non-union in the U.S.  Employees can walk out without union representation, but as Jeff points out there's nothing stopping McD's from firing them and hiring permanent replacements.

Getting back to biscuit and gravy, I'm not a fan of either, so I don't speak from much experience.  But I suspect McD's optimizes its biscuits for eating behind the wheel, giving priority to minimizing crumbs falling into your lap (not well enough for me) over taste or texture, though the latter are adequate for me on the rare occasions where I eat a McD's biscuit sandwich.  ISTM a sit-down-only place would be a better place to look for the perfect biscuit and gravy, if you're into that kind of thing.

Carl's Jr. and maybe Hardee's list on their websites the stores where biscuits are available, so maybe they focus more on better biscuits.  But I don't know if gravy is an option.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JMoses24

Biscuits and gravy are in fact available in at least one of the McDonalds in Florence. Maybe others, but I cannot attest to that. I am not touching the other topics.

iPod touch 5G

bugo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2014, 11:34:09 AM
In the meantime, McDonalds gets a ton of applications from people every day, because you need very few skills to handle the main duties at a McDonalds.  And many people that are applying for jobs at McDonalds are doing so because they don't have the skills or qualifications to work elsewhere, or simply haven't been able to find steady employment elsewhere.

That is not true.  Not everyone can deal with the public.

Brandon

Quote from: bugo on May 16, 2014, 10:16:30 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2014, 11:34:09 AM

That is not true.  Not everyone can deal with the public.

Most of the crew in the back actually cooking/heating the food does not interact with the public.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: oscar on May 15, 2014, 12:52:36 PMCarl's Jr. and maybe Hardee's list on their websites the stores where biscuits are available, so maybe they focus more on better biscuits.  But I don't know if gravy is an option.

Every Carl's and Hardee's I've ever been to, regardless of where, has had biscuits and gravy on the breakfast menu.  They are served the same way McDonald's B&G are served, with the gravy in a bowl on its own, but they are better than McD's.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

hbelkins

For many years, the nearest Hardee's that was on any route we traveled was in Abingdon, Va. We always left on vacations very early in the morning (well before sunrise) and any time we would pass through Abingdon, we would stop at the Hardee's there so Dad could get a steak biscuit. When Hardee's opened restaurants in this area, he was pleased, as there ended up being a couple of Hardee's within a half-hour of here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on May 16, 2014, 02:52:45 PM
Quote from: oscar on May 15, 2014, 12:52:36 PMCarl's Jr. and maybe Hardee's list on their websites the stores where biscuits are available, so maybe they focus more on better biscuits.  But I don't know if gravy is an option.

Every Carl's and Hardee's I've ever been to, regardless of where, has had biscuits and gravy on the breakfast menu.  They are served the same way McDonald's B&G are served, with the gravy in a bowl on its own, but they are better than McD's.

I know of a Dairy Queen in VA that serves B&G.  Some of the best B&G I've had at a fast food place.

hbelkins

Most of the DQs around here serve biscuits and gravy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.