News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Can anyone identify what these trees are?

Started by Molandfreak, March 25, 2014, 09:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

My mom and brother are on a road trip to Houston. They passed this truck near Dallas and wondered if these were just palm trees with the leaves chopped off. Does anyone know for sure?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

Yep, they're fan-type palm trees, most likely sabal palms or washingtonia or something similar.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman

Quote from: NE2 on March 25, 2014, 12:06:19 PM
The Larch.
And now - Number Three, The Horse Chestnut (to the sound of thunderous applause)
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hm insulators

Those are definitely palm trees, possibly on their way to Arizona or California as inland Texas would be too cold for most palms.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

xcellntbuy

Big ol' palm trees with a "hurricane" cut.  I see them all the time in south Florida, transported to new planting sites.

formulanone

Quote from: realjd on March 25, 2014, 03:09:58 PM
Yep, they're fan-type palm trees, most likely sabal palms or washingtonia or something similar.

Definitely the latter, since Sabal Palms don't have stalk remnants that look like that one. They fall off after a while.

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on March 26, 2014, 07:42:16 PM
Quote from: realjd on March 25, 2014, 03:09:58 PM

Definitely the latter, since Sabal Palms don't have stalk remnants that look like that one. They fall off after a while.

Want me to go take pictures of the sabal palms behind my fence? Or just Google Image Search it. The wild ones retain their stalk remnants all the way to the ground. The ones planted for landscaping are usually cleaned up.

formulanone

I thought sabal palmettos were the ones with (basically) cylindrical trunks? I've seen the unbooted variety in the wild, on farms, ranches, and state parks. Maybe I'm thinking of another palm.

Road Hog

Quote from: hm insulators on March 26, 2014, 04:38:34 PM
Those are definitely palm trees, possibly on their way to Arizona or California as inland Texas would be too cold for most palms.

There must be a hardy variety of palm available, because they can and do live in North Texas. Several subdivisions have planted them lining streets, and I see them more and more in yards as ornamentals.

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on March 31, 2014, 08:04:16 PM
I thought sabal palmettos were the ones with (basically) cylindrical trunks? I've seen the unbooted variety in the wild, on farms, ranches, and state parks. Maybe I'm thinking of another palm.

You must be thinking of something else. From the wiki link you posted:

The branch stalks will fall off in the wind, burn off in a wild fire, or get rubbed off by animals. In protected locations though, it's not uncommon to see them with the branch remnants going all the way to the ground.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.