News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Windows 8.1 to get a start menu again

Started by SteveG1988, April 02, 2014, 04:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

JREwing78

It only took two years of consumer complaints and indifference for Microsoft to get the message - stop treating the traditional desktop interface as a second-class citizen.

Windows needed a presence on touch devices like tablets, and there were a lot of good ideas baked into the Modern interface. But it made using the classic Windows interface so infuriating to use that people stayed away from Windows 8 in droves.

The obscene amount of success Start8, Classic Start, and similar projects (Start menu replacement apps) have had only underscore this point.

SteveG1988

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 03, 2014, 05:01:50 AM
It only took two years of consumer complaints and indifference for Microsoft to get the message - stop treating the traditional desktop interface as a second-class citizen.

Windows needed a presence on touch devices like tablets, and there were a lot of good ideas baked into the Modern interface. But it made using the classic Windows interface so infuriating to use that people stayed away from Windows 8 in droves.

The obscene amount of success Start8, Classic Start, and similar projects (Start menu replacement apps) have had only underscore this point.

It is like new coke then?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

vdeane

They wanted to make the desktop nothing more than an app.  Then they realized that only a few tablet fanboys wanted that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

myosh_tino

Anyone find it odd that this and other changes like Office for iOS are taking place after the change in CEOs?  While I understand that Office for iOS has probably been in development for quite some time, it wasn't released under Ballmer's watch.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

getemngo

Microsoft has more or less admitted about Windows 8, as with the Ribbon in Office 2007, that the new interface is meant to help the most casual users, while power users will be able to adapt because power users are willing to go the extra mile and learn. :banghead: Doesn't explain why Windows Server 2012 has the Metro Modern interface, since no casual users will be buying it...

In the last few years, Microsoft and Apple have tried to be all things to all people, blending their desktop, tablet, and mobile OSes into one ugly mess. Apple doesn't really need to do this when they're not making touchscreen PCs or laptops, and Microsoft doesn't really need to do this when Windows, Windows Mobile, and (for some bizarre reason) Windows RT are still separate.
~ Sam from Michigan

vdeane

The ribbon was made because the top new feature requests for Office were for features already in the product.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Still not as good as Windows 7's start menu
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadsguy

Even though it's a start (no pun intended), I hope programs like Classic Shell stick around to make it more like Windows 7's menu, along with programs like UxStyle to allow custom themes. (e.g. Aero in 8.1; Desktop Metro is awful...)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Android

I don't think Classic Shell is going anywhere.  I tried Windows 8 when it was in pre-release and free... and didn't like it much but thanks to Classic Shell and some other add-ons got it to work the way I wanted it to.   I dual-booted with W7, but basically stopped using the W7 partition - and I bought the upgrade to W8 Pro after the launch when it was still dirt cheap.   I get occasional popups telling me to upgrade to 8.1 but I really don't see any need to as my computer works fine as I have it set up.  I wonder how many popups I'll get for 8.1.1 now...
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

SSOWorld

Quote from: Android on April 05, 2014, 07:42:21 PM
I don't think Classic Shell is going anywhere.  I tried Windows 8 when it was in pre-release and free... and didn't like it much but thanks to Classic Shell and some other add-ons got it to work the way I wanted it to.   I dual-booted with W7, but basically stopped using the W7 partition - and I bought the upgrade to W8 Pro after the launch when it was still dirt cheap.   I get occasional popups telling me to upgrade to 8.1 but I really don't see any need to as my computer works fine as I have it set up.  I wonder how many popups I'll get for 8.1.1 now...
You won't. They are pushing it out silently via Windows Update - pretty much like they do with Internet Exploder.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: vdeane on April 04, 2014, 10:22:37 PM
The ribbon was made because the top new feature requests for Office were for features already in the product.
And unlike the Metro interface, the Ribbon is actually well-organized and helpful, AND doesn't hide the stuff power-users use.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.