News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ woman's rejected atheist license plate violates First Amendment

Started by ZLoth, April 19, 2014, 10:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Duke87 on April 22, 2014, 11:09:45 PM
I would imagine that Southern California might have a greater prevalence of 20 year old cars than Connecticut does. Cars last longer when they are not subject to cold, snowy winters.
My thoughts exactly. I just wasn't sure how to word it correctly. I've seen pictures of lots of cars in California that are nearly extinct elsewhere - Datsun 510s and 240Zs, pre-Civic Hondas, etc. They'd tend to skew the average vehicle age there to be older than most if not all other states, thus likely raising the stature needed for a vehicle to be classified as an antique. There are also probably political reasons for it as well, such as emissions. In the sections of Virginia that do emissions testing (DC suburbs), antique cars are exempt, as they are from inspection statewide. However, if you have a car registered as an antique, you must have another registered car that is your daily transportation. I don't know whether other states have the same policy.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

briantroutman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 22, 2014, 09:18:21 PM
Quote from: Takumi on April 22, 2014, 09:15:13 PM
I will, thanks. I'll need at least one by the end of May. Since one of them is a 1991, it'll only be on the car for 18 months or so. I'm getting an antique plate for it in 2016. Hopefully Virginia will go back to its classic plain blue-on-white by then.

25 years and the car is an antique?  I want antique plates for mine, but alas in California it has to be a lot older than that.

You can still get "Historic Vehicle"  plates on cars as new as 1989 (25 years) in California, but the caveat is that cars must be of "historic interest" , which seems like an exceedingly vague definition.

I worked at a couple of AAA offices in Pennsylvania, where AAA clubs can process title transfers and vehicle registrations. I got an inside look at PA's antique vehicle registration process, which seemed more challenging than I would have expected. Applicants had to submit multiple photographs from several angles showing that the car is in its original condition or fully restored. I seem to recall someone getting an application rejected because he had something minor like a tonneau cover that wasn't originally offered on that model.

Quote from: Takumi on April 23, 2014, 12:21:02 AM
However, if you have a car registered as an antique, you must have another registered car that is your daily transportation. I don't know whether other states have the same policy.

In PA, the regulations state occasional use and later clarify to say "one day a week" .

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 22, 2014, 09:37:03 PM

I will, thanks. I'll need at least one by the end of May. Since one of them is a 1991, it'll only be on the car for 18 months or so. I'm getting an antique plate for it in 2016. Hopefully Virginia will go back to its classic plain blue-on-white by then.

25 years and the car is an antique?  I want antique plates for mine, but alas in California it has to be a lot older than that.

In Connecticut it's only 20 years to qualify as "Early American."  Kind of dilutes the meaning, but still it's funny to see 1990s cars with those little open roadsters on the plates (a design they have sadly just retired).

Illinois actually has two different plates.  One is the Antique Vehicle - must be 25 years old or older and drive on occasion.  The other is Antique Vehicle - Expanded Use - must be 25 years old or older, can be driven a bit more often.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

I thought about registering my 1988 RX-7 as an antique because the registration fee is less and you're exempt from state safety inspection. I ultimately chose not to do so because they also put some restrictions on the use of the vehicle (you're not supposed to use it for routine personal transportation, for example, which was a dealbreaker for me because during the spring I just enjoy putting the top down and driving it as my primary car). I don't know how much they actually enforce those restrictions, but I'm not inclined to test it and find out.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2014, 07:53:49 AM

I thought about registering my 1988 RX-7 as an antique because the registration fee is less and you're exempt from state safety inspection. I ultimately chose not to do so because they also put some restrictions on the use of the vehicle (you're not supposed to use it for routine personal transportation, for example, which was a dealbreaker for me because during the spring I just enjoy putting the top down and driving it as my primary car). I don't know how much they actually enforce those restrictions, but I'm not inclined to test it and find out.

You should be given a certain number of miles to drive the car a year.  I wouldn't think driving it for a few months on a daily basis would make it considered a 'primary' car, just like living in a house for a few months wouldn't make it your primary residence for tax purposes.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 23, 2014, 07:57:09 AM

You should be given a certain number of miles to drive the car a year.  I wouldn't think driving it for a few months on a daily basis would make it considered a 'primary' car, just like living in a house for a few months wouldn't make it your primary residence for tax purposes.

Yeah, that might be easier, but I'm sure one reason they don't do that is because you're allowed to drive the vehicle to antique car shows and the like and such trips could require driving a good distance, especially if you live in a more rural area like far Southwest Virginia.

You can read the rules on the antique certification form here (go down to "Use of Antique Plates"): http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa10b.pdf
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SidS1045

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 21, 2014, 06:03:54 PMHere in Virginia a personalized plate costs $10 a year, which is probably a major reason why Virginia is said to have the most personalized plates of any state.

For a long time vanity plates in New Hampshire (known officially as "initial" plates, because many people put their initials on them) cost only $5 extra.  They're now $40 extra annually plus a one-time manufacturing fee of $8.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Brandon

Not a clue.  In Illinois, for both the AV and EA plates, you sign an affirmation, but that's about it.  The EA plate is a bit better as you can use it for more than just to/from a show or service.  You can use the vehicle as a daily driver between April 1 and October 31.  Yet, I've seen them used in the winter.  An EA plate registration is only $51 compared to $101 for a normal plate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2014, 08:01:30 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 23, 2014, 07:57:09 AM

Yeah, that might be easier, but I'm sure one reason they don't do that is because you're allowed to drive the vehicle to antique car shows and the like and such trips could require driving a good distance, especially if you live in a more rural area like far Southwest Virginia.

You can read the rules on the antique certification form here (go down to "Use of Antique Plates"): http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa10b.pdf

Just looked up Jersey's rules and they do appear to be about the same.  Ours are nicknamed QQ plates, since all antique plates start with QQ.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 23, 2014, 10:00:56 AMJust looked up Jersey's rules and they do appear to be about the same.  Ours are nicknamed QQ plates, since all antique plates start with QQ.

So enumerated, of course, because QQ is a pair of eyes bugging out in astonishment at your beautiful car.  This is the only instance of whimsy I have experienced from the government of New Jersey, but I love it.

Scott5114

I would imagine the reason QQ was selected was not anything so whimsical, but rather something along the lines of Q not being used for general issue plates because it looks like 0, so it was available for the special combination.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

signalman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2014, 10:33:59 PM
I would imagine the reason QQ was selected was not anything so whimsical, but rather something along the lines of Q not being used for general issue plates because it looks like 0, so it was available for the special combination.
You are correct.  NJ does not issue I, O, or Q in any position on passenger plates because they could be misread for 1s or 0s.  (O is used for Livery types.)  I and O used to be used, but not since 1992.  Q was never used in any position, except historic plates.  Vehicles get QQ, morotcycles get a single Q.

SP Cook

WV has two "old car" plates.  A "Classic Car" plate, which starts with "CC" and features generic representations of a 50s Corvette, an original Mustang and Charger, and an early 70s Grand Prix in the background, which is just like any other "club" (special interest) plate, costing double the regular fee, with no special restrictions.  And an "Antique Vehicle" plate, which starts with "AV" and features a generic Model A, which can be ordered either as a "club" plate as above, or as a "restricted" plate, valid for 10 years for the cost of 2 years' standard fee, restricted to driving on Saturday, Sunday, legal holidays, and to and from "approved events" (no idea how that could be enforced) and in parades.  The restricted plate exempts the car from the personal property tax on vehicles, which could be huge since it is based on true value, which could be quite high for a true collectable.

Both require a car to be 20 model years old, meaning cars far newer than those shown on the plates would be eligiable.  The most common "CC" that I see, actually VW Beatles, which the last (US) model year was 79.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.