News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The anal road enthusiast

Started by bugo, October 05, 2012, 10:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The anal road enthusiast (ARE) is an odd creature.  Instead of celebrating unique things about or roads, the ARE wants every sign error fixed pronto, even the harmless ones like AR 71 instead of US 71.  They do not tolerate highways that break the grid, even though they are diagonal.  They hate anomalies like US 412 and I-238, roads that break the boring AASHTO guidelines.  They believe the US highway and Interstate grids should be perfect and every highway should fit in its place, even where it's not practical.  They whine to DOTs when an error sign is placed no matter how petty.  They want everything to fit into a nice little box even when impractical.  They are so used to order and rules in their lives that they can't stand it when any of those rules are broken in any way.  The ARE knows who they are and that they are this way, and they celebrate it.  If you see an ARE, turn around and walk away slowly, then run like hell.  ARE is a contagious disease and is a lifelong affliction you can't get rid of.  If you exhibit any of these warning signs, call your doctor immediately.

jwolfer

bugo

It's true!  Look at how many road enthusiasts get downright livid about US 400, 412, and 425.  I like the numbers because they are anomalies, just like the error US 66 sign that was posted in Tulsa for about 2 weeks.  I'm glad I got a picture of that.  Some of the AREs would contact ODOT and try to get the sign replaced by a meat cleaver.  I was hoping it would stay up for years.

It's gone now, but here's proof that it existed.  It was literally up about 2 weeks.  I'm glad that it was on a route that I often take (took) and that it caught my eye.

jwolfer

Quote from: bugo on October 05, 2012, 11:40:42 AM
It's true!  Look at how many road enthusiasts get downright livid about US 400, 412, and 425.  I like the numbers because they are anomalies, just like the error US 66 sign that was posted in Tulsa for about 2 weeks.  I'm glad I got a picture of that.  Some of the AREs would contact ODOT and try to get the sign replaced by a meat cleaver.  I was hoping it would stay up for years.

we are livid about some numbering anomaly and our friends and family dont even know the number.  And if they do its no big deal. 

"but dont you understand its not in the grid!!"  is in our mind as  the other person just sits there

NYYPhil777

This reminds me of the "status quo" society we live in...  :pan: Good thing I'm not an ARE (in most cases).
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

corco

These people are no fun- most of the fun of having a rigid structure is seeing anomalies to that structure. If it were perfectly uniform, it would be terribly boring.

bugo

Quote from: corco on October 05, 2012, 12:32:09 PM
These people are no fun- most of the fun of having a rigid structure is seeing anomalies to that structure. If it were perfectly uniform, it would be terribly boring.

Exactly.

formulanone

I enjoy the out-of-place, out-of-grid, out-of-its-mind stuff, to be honest. I have no interest in a world or hobby where all is uniform and totally predictable. I like design errors, that means there's variety. A few things that break convention are worth the trouble of investigation. I rather prefer the shields which have their quirks, the roads that aren't straight, and the occasional things that make no earthly sense.

I understand there are those here with their own agendas, whether it's their livelihood or just their particular flights of fancy...I don't know it all, and I see no reason to overly criticize either way.

Beltway

They also have a knack for finding and reporting on every teeny, tiny little 'error' they see on roads and signs.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on October 05, 2012, 04:58:43 PM
They also have a knack for finding and reporting on every teeny, tiny little 'error' they see on roads and signs.

And posting it on the "Worst of" thread, no less.

I wonder what the ARE would do in a third-world country.....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

national highway 1

Quote from: jwolfer on October 05, 2012, 11:51:37 AM
"but dont you understand its not in the grid!!"  is in our mind as  the other person just sits there
That would be an outrage to CLU in 'Tron'!
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

bugo

I regrettably and totally accidentally got some error OK 82 shields removed from a stretch of US 59 just south of Sallisaw, OK.  The OK 82 shields were posted, so I emailed ODOT asking if the two segments of OK 82 were being connected and they realized the signs had been posted in error and removed them.  I felt really, really bad.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on October 06, 2012, 01:13:52 AM

I regrettably and totally accidentally got some error OK 82 shields removed from a stretch of US 59 just south of Sallisaw, OK.  The OK 82 shields were posted, so I emailed ODOT asking if the two segments of OK 82 were being connected and they realized the signs had been posted in error and removed them.  I felt really, really bad.

I'm pretty sure that some error signs have been corrected as a result of my having taken pictures and posting them on my site. I learned after I started my current job that folks at KYTC in Frankfort were well aware of my site, so I think someone was paying attention.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: bugo on October 05, 2012, 10:14:33 AM
The anal road enthusiast (ARE) is an odd creature.  Instead of celebrating unique things about or roads, the ARE wants every sign error fixed pronto, even the harmless ones like AR 71 instead of US 71.  They do not tolerate highways that break the grid, even though they are diagonal.  They hate anomalies like US 412 and I-238, roads that break the boring AASHTO guidelines.  They believe the US highway and Interstate grids should be perfect and every highway should fit in its place, even where it's not practical.  They whine to DOTs when an error sign is placed no matter how petty.  They want everything to fit into a nice little box even when impractical.  They are so used to order and rules in their lives that they can't stand it when any of those rules are broken in any way.  The ARE knows who they are and that they are this way, and they celebrate it.  If you see an ARE, turn around and walk away slowly, then run like hell.  ARE is a contagious disease and is a lifelong affliction you can't get rid of.  If you exhibit any of these warning signs, call your doctor immediately.
There's a difference between being an ARE and wanting a good numbering system.  A number that's a little out of place is understandable and interesting (I even include I-99 in this though many do not).  A number that is way out is just bad (such as the I-3 proposal, or I-238 or I-74 in NC).  I actually don't mind US 400 as much as US 412 or US 425; at least US 400 wasn't valid otherwise, so it's an oddity, but the others are supposed to be spurs of US 12 and US 25 respictively so they just break the numbering system (though the US route numbering sytem was odd from the start, with spurs as long as their parents).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I guess I'm an anal road enthusiast. Sorry.

Error signs are an oddity, and thus fun to laugh at, but after I get my photo I'd really like to have it fixed. It might not get anyone lost if ODOT posts US-281 as US-288, but if my state is going to spend my money putting up road signs, I would like them to actually do it right. Signing the wrong type is somewhat forgivable, but there are instances in Oklahoma where there are highways with the same number in different types (I-44/OK 44, US 270/OK 270, US 56/OK 56, etc) and those might get people lost, especially in the case of 44 (where the two routes intersect) and 270 (where the routes are parallel; the OK is the old alignment of the US). And spacing/alignment/size ratio/spelling errors just scream "HEY! THIS STATE HAS AN INCOMPETENT GOVERNMENT!" But then again issues like that bother me wherever I see them, on road signs or not (it is really hard to not scream at my coworkers sometimes . . .)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

An unending and virulent hatred of Breezewood and every breezewood everywhere.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bugo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 06, 2012, 12:45:09 PM

+1

I've never been through Breezewood, and I'd never spend one penny there, but I'd like to experience it.  If they built a regular interchange it would lose its charm.

Ian

Quote from: bugo on October 06, 2012, 01:06:02 PM

+1

I've never been through Breezewood, and I'd never spend one penny there, but I'd like to experience it.  If they built a regular interchange it would lose its charm.

Agreed with both of you. I took a side trip through Breezewood on my way to Ohio last May and I thought it was neat. Never before have I seen so many fast food restaurants, gas stations/truck stops, and hotels crammed into such a small amount of area!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

Breezewood is kind of fun the one time just to say you've been, but I'd like to have the option to not have to drive through it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

The typical ARE wants everything to be the same nationwide.  They fully support the hated MUTCD, and want every state to adopt the exact same sign standards.  They tend to love Clearview as well.  Some of them hate old signs and want them replaced by boring modern signs.  They want America's highways to resemble America's suburbs and strip malls: places where you can't tell what city or state you're in because they all look the same.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2012, 01:29:39 PM
Breezewood is kind of fun the one time just to say you've been, but I'd like to have the option to not have to drive through it.

I-68/I-79.

And what is far worse than Breezewood are the small towns you have to slow down and go through on expressways.  Oklahoma is particularly bad at this (US 69, I'm looking at you.)  Breezewood is just a short stretch, while some of these "small" towns take several minutes to get through.  There are more chances to get stopped by Barney Fife in Atoka or Stringtown than in Breezewood.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on October 06, 2012, 01:13:52 AM

A route number error is not 'tiny'.  Things like "shield errors" ARE.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Ian

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2012, 01:29:39 PM

You do have a point, but as Jeremy said, I-68/I-79 is a decent enough by-pass of Breezewood. The one thing that I disliked about the town was how long the red light was where I-70 met US 30. It was about a 3 minute long wait going east on US 30!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Beltway

Isn't that a strawman?  An "unending and virulent hatred" is certainly an overreaction, but they deserve criticism on a regular basis as long as they stand uncorrected.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 06, 2012, 01:47:12 PM
You do have a point, but as Jeremy said, I-68/I-79 is a decent enough by-pass of Breezewood. The one thing that I disliked about the town was how long the red light was where I-70 met US 30. It was about a 3 minute long wait going east on US 30!

I-68/I-79 is only a bypass for I-70 traffic between Hancock MD and Washington PA.  It's not a bypass for traffic between MD I-70 and I-76 to the west, such as to Pittsburgh, or to I-99 northward (as in the best route between D.C. and Buffalo NY).  Basically including all points needing use of I-76 west of Breezewood.

That wait can be 10 minutes at times.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.