News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The anal road enthusiast

Started by bugo, October 05, 2012, 10:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 12, 2012, 05:08:38 PM
are there any contractions that omit the apostrophe? 

A borderline one:
'Til = Till = Until
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

I was using the 'it's' in question as a contraction.  Shortening "It is a lot, not alot." to "It's a lot, not alot."  It has now been drawn out to a lot more than initially conceived.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 12, 2012, 05:08:38 PMare there any contractions that omit the apostrophe?
Fortnight, and Sennight (almost never used as week is simply easier to say and write - especially now), used to have apostrophes (fo'rt'night, se'nnight), but don't now. Fortnight isn't really used in North America though - probably why it wasn't on the page NE2 linked to.

As did 'bus: short for omnibus - now just bus, though that's more a clipping like fridge or phone. However it did take an apostrophe in the past.

Soton for Southampton doesn't take an apostrophe, unless you are making/reading a road sign (where it's So'ton). Typically seen on a Premier League Table that doesn't have much horizontal space, though is used as shorthand for the city. Only one I can think of that's on road signs but is used elsewhere that isn't simply a clipping/removal of words.

agentsteel53

Quote from: english si on October 12, 2012, 08:00:36 PM
Soton for Southampton doesn't take an apostrophe, unless you are making/reading a road sign (where it's So'ton). Typically seen on a Premier League Table that doesn't have much horizontal space, though is used as shorthand for the city. Only one I can think of that's on road signs but is used elsewhere that isn't simply a clipping/removal of words.

we've got similar Sacto for Sacramento, CA.  there's also Frisco but no one in California actually calls it that.  not even folks from LA.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 12, 2012, 08:04:23 PM
we've got similar Sacto for Sacramento, CA.  there's also Frisco but no one in California actually calls it that.  not even folks from LA.
And all the New England boroughs that dropped the ugh. 19th century laws used an apostrophe.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on October 12, 2012, 09:45:52 PM

And all the New England boroughs that dropped the ugh. 19th century laws used an apostrophe.

in New York, even the word itself sometimes gets the drop.  Triboro Bridge, for example.

jake@aaroads.com

mgk920

Yea, the only 'Friscos' that I know of are in Colorado and Texas.

AANNDD . . . Please don't put apostrophe's in your plural's, pretty pleeeease.

:poke:

(And I'll refuse to shop at businesse's that do that in their sign's and other advertising! :nod: )

Mike

hbelkins

Apparently the people in SF get really annoyed when their city is abbreviated "Frisco." There's also a Frisco near the Outer Banks of North Carolina, IIRC.

I always shorten Cincinnati as "Cincy" but I've heard that's a bone of contention for the locals. I never see it abbreviated as "Cincy," which is the way a lot of Kentuckians shorten it, but "Cinti" is pretty commonly used there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on October 15, 2012, 12:09:31 PM
There's also a Frisco near the Outer Banks of North Carolina, IIRC.
You are correct. It's on Hatteras Island, between Buxton and Hatteras. A childhood friend had a beach house there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mgk920 on October 15, 2012, 11:58:50 AM
(And I'll refuse to shop at businesse's that do that in their sign's and other advertising! :nod: )

Mike

the "worst" is when quotes are used for "emphasis", especially "in" illogical places.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Quotethe "worst" is when quotes are used for "emphasis", especially "in" illogical places.

It always looks so sarcastic! I hope you have a "Happy Mothers Day!" (and now i will kill you)

Please enjoy our "Precor" treadmills. (that we bought in the Silk Alley)

Roadsguy

I know... X-(

Quote from: Some sign...
Please leave this somethingorother "ON" at all times.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 15, 2012, 12:39:24 PM
I know... X-(

Quote from: Some sign...
Please leave this somethingorother "ON" at all times.

"Please" flush
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I saw one for a construction company today. Their tagline was...
QuoteWhere "Quality" Comes First!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2012, 03:12:20 PM
I saw one for a construction company today. Their tagline was...
QuoteWhere "Quality" Comes First!

Reminds me of
Quote"Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 12, 2012, 08:04:23 PM
Quote from: english si on October 12, 2012, 08:00:36 PM

Balto for Baltimore City, Maryland.

Once pretty common on road signs around the state, not so much any longer.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2012, 01:33:46 PM
"Please" flush

At a building site near me, there's:
Quote"Authorized personnel only"

Such a boring quotation, I'm not surprised they didn't bother attributing the speaker. I do often wonder, as I'm wandering around inside the build site, why they still thought it worth bringing to my attention. :hmmm:

Road Hog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 11, 2012, 11:54:09 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on October 11, 2012, 11:39:54 AM

Alot of non-sheild street signs do refer to it as that.  Alot of people call it Alt 90

are there any "90A" shields?  I could've sworn I saw one once in 2005 but I didn't get a photo.  It might have just been a "90A" street blade.

this sign is still around, I believe.

I get a kick out of this sign because it says "WEST" and the ghost-shadowed "OST" is German for East.

(West is the same in English and German.)

Special K

Quote from: Road Hog on October 16, 2012, 11:13:16 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 11, 2012, 11:54:09 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on October 11, 2012, 11:39:54 AM

Alot of non-sheild street signs do refer to it as that.  Alot of people call it Alt 90

are there any "90A" shields?  I could've sworn I saw one once in 2005 but I didn't get a photo.  It might have just been a "90A" street blade.

this sign is still around, I believe.

I get a kick out of this sign because it says "WEST" and the ghost-shadowed "OST" is German for East.

(West is the same in English and German.)

That must be "old" 90, then.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Special K on October 17, 2012, 07:54:02 AM

is it an old 90 alignment?  that would be awesome.

jake@aaroads.com

Special K

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 17, 2012, 11:58:43 AM
Quote from: Special K on October 17, 2012, 07:54:02 AM

is it an old 90 alignment?  that would be awesome.

"Alt" = "old" in German.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Special K on October 17, 2012, 02:56:58 PM

"Alt" = "old" in German.

indeed.  thus, it would be extra awesome if it were the old alignment of 90.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on October 17, 2012, 04:15:15 PM
Also: WTF? They restored the OST text in Clearview (?), but kept the sign...

Is that the first instance of Clearview and button copy appearing on the same sign?

Weird.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.