News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former names you use without meaning to

Started by Pete from Boston, February 26, 2015, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kendancy66

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 27, 2015, 11:15:41 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 27, 2015, 10:58:32 AM

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2015, 03:03:10 PM
MAC machine. Not an ATM.  When ATMs were first introduced, the Philly area machines were called MAC machines.  The name still sticks in this area.

It might have been you that referred to these before, and from that I assumed it was still a current thing.  I remember all ATMs being spoken of as "MAC machines" in New Jersey 25 years ago. 

I remember ATMs being referred to as "Cashflow machines" in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Very few people used them, too. The name "Cashflow" came about because Sovran Bank was one of the dominant banks in Virginia and they branded their machine as "Cashflow." (They became NationsBank when they merged with C&S and NCNB and they're now Bank of America.)

jp the roadgeek

Still call the Izod Center Brendan Byrne Arena.  XL, MassMutual, and Dunkin Donuts Centers are the Hartford, Springfield, and Providence Civic Centers respectively.  Still call the DCU Center The Worcester Centrum. Both X-Finity Centers in New England are still The Meadows and Great Woods.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

golden eagle

Sears Tower. I'm sorry, Willis Tower doesn't do it for me.

jeffandnicole

The name for this traffic camera at the 4 legged intersection of US 30 & 130 in New Jersey is still the Collingswood Circle, even though the circle was removed in 2008.

vtk

Quote from: golden eagle on March 01, 2015, 09:36:40 AM

Ironically, Willis sounds less commercial...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Big John

Quote from: golden eagle on March 01, 2015, 09:36:40 AM

What you talkin' about?  :sombrero:

cjk374

Quote from: DandyDan on February 28, 2015, 12:53:47 AM
In Omaha, there is the CenturyLink Center, which used to be the Qwest Center.

Bossier City, LA also has a CenturyLink Center...formerly known as the CenturyTel Center, the original name when it was built.

The Mercedes-Benz Superdome in NOLA will always just be known as The Superdome (or the Louisiana Superdome).

In Ruston, LA, I can't seem to stop calling MLK Dr. by the old name Chatham Hwy (LA 146).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

golden eagle

I've seen maps online as recently as five years ago refer to Medgar Evers Blvd. in Jackson as Delta Drive. The name change took place in either 1985 or '86.

pianocello

The Circle Interchange. I guess it was recently renamed to the Jane Byrne Interchange; I had no idea until I listened to WGN recently and heard their traffic reports. They say "Byrne Circle Interchange"

Also, it will forever be the Sears Tower.

In the Quad Cities, the baseball stadium in Davenport and the arena in Moline were both renamed within the past ten years, and I thought I would always call them "John O'Donnell Stadium" and "the MARK", respectively. To my surprise, I've caught myself accidentally calling them by their current names (Modern Woodmen Park or the iWireless Center).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

kphoger

The Circle isn't called the Circle? WBBM will never be the same.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SidS1045

Surprised no one has mentioned the recent (and at least one not-so-recent) re-namings in NYC that most natives don't use.

The not-so-recent, of course, is Avenue of the Americas...a name so resolutely ignored in everyday use that most intersections now carry signage for both Avenue of the Americas and "6 Av."

The Triborough Bridge is now the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.  The Queensborough Bridge (still called the 59th Street Bridge by the real old-timers) is now the Ed Koch Queensborough Bridge.  The Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel is now the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel.  The West Side Highway (once called the Miller Highway, after Manhattan Borough President Julius Miller, who first proposed it) is officially the Joe DiMaggio Highway.  None of these re-namings have caught on.

Some NYC natives still use "East River Drive" as a substitute for the FDR Drive, but I think FDR Drive has pretty much stuck by now.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US71

I will sometimes intentionally use Bunyard Tunnel instead of Bobby Hopper Tunnel ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 01, 2015, 10:52:12 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned the recent (and at least one not-so-recent) re-namings in NYC that most natives don't use.

The not-so-recent, of course, is Avenue of the Americas...a name so resolutely ignored in everyday use that most intersections now carry signage for both Avenue of the Americas and "6 Av."

The Triborough Bridge is now the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.  The Queensborough Bridge (still called the 59th Street Bridge by the real old-timers) is now the Ed Koch Queensborough Bridge.  The Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel is now the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel.  The West Side Highway (once called the Miller Highway, after Manhattan Borough President Julius Miller, who first proposed it) is officially the Joe DiMaggio Highway.  None of these re-namings have caught on.

Some NYC natives still use "East River Drive" as a substitute for the FDR Drive, but I think FDR Drive has pretty much stuck by now.

Funny, the "ceremonial" names are so unused that I don't think of their predecessors as "former."

Slightly off course for the topic I laid out, I call a certain building in the Bronx "Yankee Stadium," even though it's an imposter.  They at least could have had the guts to bury the name if they were gonna bury the building.

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 28, 2015, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: signalman on February 28, 2015, 08:30:36 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on February 27, 2015, 08:58:59 PM
Oh yeah, to me it is still the Sears Tower in Chicago.
Wait, its name was changed?  What was it changed to?  I have/had no idea.  Although, admittedly, I don't really know much about Chicago.

Willis Tower for something like ten years.  I don't think many people in Chicago uses the new name, either.

Only in the media.  Otherwise, it's still the Sears Tower to the locals.  Ditto for Comiskey Park (aka US Cellular Field).

Others:

Calumet Expressway (Bishop Ford Freeway)
Northwest Tollway (Jane Addams Tollway)
Field's (muck Facy's)
Circle Interchange (aka The Circle - Jane Byrne Interchange)

Of course, there's things that have an original name, but no one uses them:

The Bean (formally, "Cloud Gate")
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on March 04, 2015, 09:51:05 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 28, 2015, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: signalman on February 28, 2015, 08:30:36 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on February 27, 2015, 08:58:59 PM
Oh yeah, to me it is still the Sears Tower in Chicago.
Wait, its name was changed?  What was it changed to?  I have/had no idea.  Although, admittedly, I don't really know much about Chicago.

Willis Tower for something like ten years.  I don't think many people in Chicago uses the new name, either.

Only in the media.  Otherwise, it's still the Sears Tower to the locals.  Ditto for Comiskey Park (aka US Cellular Field).

Others:

Calumet Expressway (Bishop Ford Freeway)
Northwest Tollway (Jane Addams Tollway)
Field's (muck Facy's)
Circle Interchange (aka The Circle - Jane Byrne Interchange)

Of course, there's things that have an original name, but no one uses them:

The Bean (formally, "Cloud Gate")
The United Center (where the Bulls and Blackhawks play) is the New Chicago Stadium to me, as it was built across the street from the old Stadium. Too bad it couldn't get the same treatment as Comiskey Park once did when it was first built.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Pan Am Building in NYC.  Its now the Met Life Building.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dcbjms

We Rhode Islanders do this all the time (the "where Almacs used to be" syndrome) that we find it natural.  This, for example, is still the Little Red Bridge - even though it's neither little nor red.  The Dunkin' Donuts Center is still the Civic Center, never the "Dunk".  And that's scratching the surface.

roadman65

The PNC Arts Center will always be the Garden State Arts Center to me.

Newark Liberty Airport will always be Newark Airport.

The names of the NYC crossings will always be to me the original names.  Not because of my personal feelings of those its now named for, but out of convenience.  In fact I think most New Yorkers will always refer to the Ed Koch Bridge as the 59th Street Bridge.

Also many crossings in NYC always will also not use the full name with some crossings.  Midtown Tunnel instead of its proper name as the Queens- Midtown Tunnel or the Battery Tunnel even when it was officially the Brooklyn- Battery Tunnel are always used in proper talk.  Even the NYCDOT signs the LIE WB control city as "Midtown Tunnel" omitting the "Queens" part.

In New Jersey, the Cape May- Lewes Ferry is often referred to as just the "Cape May Ferry" and the Burlington- Bristol Bridge is called the "Bristol Bridge" and the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge is, I think, just called the "Tacony Bridge."  Jeff might shed some light on that last one, as my assumption is signs along I-295 and US 130 for NJ 73 N Bound say that particular name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2015, 01:26:54 PM
...the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge is, I think, just called the "Tacony Bridge."  Jeff might shed some light on that last one, as my assumption is signs along I-295 and US 130 for NJ 73 N Bound say that particular name.

Palmyra doesn't get too much loving from NJ sign makers.  295 & 130 signage all use 'Tacony Bridge' or 'Tacony Br'.

The sign on 73 lists the town of Palmyra, then the Tacony Br.  http://goo.gl/maps/ntPzL

But then the next sign ignores the town...http://goo.gl/maps/e50D6

And further down...well, you're on your own... http://goo.gl/maps/HN6Tq

algorerhythms

"Washington National Airport", rather than "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport"

NE2

Quote from: algorerhythms on March 04, 2015, 07:03:09 PM
"Washington National Airport", rather than "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport"
Do you really do that *without* meaning to?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

NY: MTA Bridges and Tunnels absorbed the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority decades ago, but is still commonly known as the TBTA.

SSOWorld

Millenium station in Chicago (Metra) still referred to as Randolph and Water.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Standiford Field instead of Louisville International Airport.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.