News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do you think of "Managementspeak"?

Started by hm insulators, June 03, 2016, 05:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

This whole thing just reminds me of how upset I get when PC terminology for jobs is used. "Sanitation engineer" for "garbage collector," "associate" for "employee" and so on. And I hate the terms "Human Resources" or "HR." How about "personnel?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on September 04, 2016, 04:04:46 PM
This whole thing just reminds me of how upset I get when PC terminology for jobs is used. "Sanitation engineer" for "garbage collector," "associate" for "employee" and so on. And I hate the terms "Human Resources" or "HR." How about "personnel?"

I always though "Human Resources" sounded like some kind of harvest waiting to be culled like cattle.  Perhaps nobody read who thought of changing it from "Personnel" read The Time Machine or what a Morlock is.  I think a lot of these common business terms changed due to them having a negative blue collar legacy to them. 

Personally I'd rather go with something like "Garbage Overlord" or "Rat King" since they seem equally as silly as "Sanitation Engineer."   

1995hoo

Last weekend I was talking to our next-door neighbor and I was somewhat taken aback when she referred to the mailman as a "postperson."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

As much as Walmart probably sucks to work at they don't do the Target guest BS for sure.  Target is crying over losing sales over bathrooms, but it was like .02 pct down which is fluctuation.

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on September 04, 2016, 05:54:32 PM
As much as Walmart probably sucks to work at they don't do the Target guest BS for sure.  Target is crying over losing sales over bathrooms, but it was like .02 pct down which is fluctuation.
Wal-mart adds words like DOTs do. --- "Member of Management".
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 04, 2016, 06:01:03 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on September 04, 2016, 05:54:32 PM
Wal-mart adds words like DOTs do. --- "Member of Management", "An associate in or around <department>", etc.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

briantroutman

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 04, 2016, 05:08:03 PM
Last weekend I was talking to our next-door neighbor and I was somewhat taken aback when she referred to the mailman as a "postperson."

The correct term is postal carrier.

Sometimes, a terminology change isn't made just to assuage hurt P.C. feelings but to make language more precise. "Mailman"  isn't very descriptive. Assumably it's a man that has something to do with mail. Is that the Postal Clerk behind the counter at your local post office? A Mail Processing Clerk in a USPS Sectional Center Facility?

Look at it this way: Calling the person who stuffs the letters in your mailbox "mailman"  is about as accurate referring to patent attorney as a "lawman" .

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kkt on September 04, 2016, 02:31:54 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 04, 2016, 11:45:49 AM
The talk about "guests" and "team members" and the like makes me think of the pretentious terminology used in some coffee shops (notably Starbucks) where they don't like it if you say "small," "medium," or "large." I don't frequent any coffee shops and I've never bothered to learn their little lingo, so when I ask for a large coffee and they reply with something like, "You mean [whatever their term is]?," I usually respond, "Whatever the largest size is."

If you do that without being careful, they'll bring out a bathtub full.

And the smallest size isn't on the menu...you specifically have to ask for it.

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 04, 2016, 06:49:50 PM
Quote from: kkt on September 04, 2016, 02:31:54 PM
The talk about "guests" and "team members" and the like makes me think of the pretentious terminology used in some coffee shops (notably Starbucks) where they don't like it if you say "small," "medium," or "large." I don't frequent any coffee shops and I've never bothered to learn their little lingo, so when I ask for a large coffee and they reply with something like, "You mean [whatever their term is]?," I usually respond, "Whatever the largest size is."

If you do that without being careful, they'll bring out a bathtub full.

And the smallest size isn't on the menu...you specifically have to ask for it.

that's the kid size or the "value" drink.  which you can buy for a buck and just keep filling the cup.  what used to be large is now small. 

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

tckma

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 03, 2016, 10:47:19 PM

Don't go into a Target store and tell them you are not a guest....they don't have employees either...they have "team members."   :rolleyes:  They don't have managers either...they have "Team Leaders."  :-D

Well, as a project for my side job (mystery shopping and property evaluations) I once did a mannequin assessment at Target.  The job required you to walk to the service desk, ask for the "manager on duty," and then go on to do the rest of the assessment with that person.  When I asked to speak to the "manager on duty," they seemed to know who I was asking for.

Good gravy, that drives me up a wall.  I'm usually reminded of this Foamy the Squirrel sketch.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tckma on September 07, 2016, 12:28:39 PM

Don't go into a Target store and tell them you are not a guest....they don't have employees either...they have "team members."   :rolleyes:  They don't have managers either...they have "Team Leaders."  :-D

Well, as a project for my side job (mystery shopping and property evaluations) I once did a mannequin assessment at Target.  The job required you to walk to the service desk, ask for the "manager on duty," and then go on to do the rest of the assessment with that person.  When I asked to speak to the "manager on duty," they seemed to know who I was asking for.

They call for the "LOD" or "Leader on Duty?"  :rolleyes:

Scott5114

My boss just gave us a deadline of September 31st...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 81

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 14, 2016, 04:58:25 AM

What a relief!  I think I can meet that deadline.

GaryV

Quote from: US 81 on September 14, 2016, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 14, 2016, 04:58:25 AM

What a relief!  I think I can meet that deadline.

"Oh tomorrow never, never comes ..."

jwolfer

Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2016, 06:57:01 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on September 02, 2016, 06:08:20 PM
If you're staying overnight in a hotel you're a guest.

No. You're still a customer. You're not a guest at a hotel or restaurant unless you don't have to pay for your room or your meal.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 04, 2016, 06:45:20 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2016, 06:57:01 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on September 02, 2016, 06:08:20 PM
If you're staying overnight in a hotel you're a guest.

No. You're still a customer. You're not a guest at a hotel or restaurant unless you don't have to pay for your room or your meal.

I thought the main reasoning for this had to do with Wal-Mart calling their employees "associates".  (I only know about Target due to having worked at one for a couple months.)
Disney world does not have employees but rather cast members

Max Rockatansky

Don't they fire you at Disney if you break the illusion or post something in costume on social media?  I've heard so many SS Death's Head stories about Disney over the years that makes you wonder how bad it really gets even if a quarter of them were true.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2016, 12:10:19 AM
Don't they fire you at Disney if you break the illusion or post something in costume on social media?  I've heard so many SS Death's Head stories about Disney over the years that makes you wonder how bad it really gets even if a quarter of them were true.

I would not be surprised with anything that goes on there considering what Miley Cyrus (former Hannah Montana) has become now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tckma

Quote from: jwolfer on September 14, 2016, 09:04:19 PM
Disney world does not have employees but rather cast members

See, but that makes sense.

Although, the last time I was at Disney, I stayed at an on-property hotel, and I caught one of the housekeeping doors open with a sign that says: "Warning: Door opens onto stage!"  I think that's taking it a bit TOO far.

SSOWorld

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 15, 2016, 12:27:33 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2016, 12:10:19 AM

I would not be surprised with anything that goes on there considering what Miley Cyrus (former Hannah Montana) has become now.
Caution, twerking near Space Mountain! :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.