News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TV Shows that changed their names

Started by roadman65, July 19, 2016, 11:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: akotchi on July 20, 2016, 01:08:20 PM
Similarly, Emergency! became Emergency One! in reruns.

Had forgotten about that one until you mentioned it.  Likewise, Dragnet was re-titled as "Dragnet 1969" or "Dragnet 1970" in syndication, depending upon the year of the episode.  When Dragnet reruns were initially shown on Nick and Nite, the episodes has the syndication titles instead of the original ones.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman on July 20, 2016, 07:39:38 PM
Quote from: akotchi on July 20, 2016, 01:08:20 PM
Similarly, Emergency! became Emergency One! in reruns.

Had forgotten about that one until you mentioned it.  Likewise, Dragnet was re-titled as "Dragnet 1969" or "Dragnet 1970" in syndication, depending upon the year of the episode.  When Dragnet reruns were initially shown on Nick and Nite, the episodes has the syndication titles instead of the original ones.

Are you sure about that? I could swear I read in Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh's encyclopedic Guide to Prime Time Network TV Shows that the series was billed as Dragnet 1967 (and so on) in then-contemporary TV listings to distinguish it from reruns of the '50s series that were still common at the time. I do remember reading that reruns of the earlier series were retitled Badge 714 in syndication.

SP Cook

Quote from: briantroutman on July 20, 2016, 09:40:09 PM

Are you sure about that? I could swear I read in Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh's encyclopedic Guide to Prime Time Network TV Shows that the series was billed as Dragnet 1967 (and so on) in then-contemporary TV listings to distinguish it from reruns of the '50s series that were still common at the time.

"Dragnet" was a radio show that ran on NBC from 1949 to 1957, and a TV show that ran from 1951-1959, also on NBC.  The TV show reruns were sometimes retitled "Badge 714".   

"Dragnet 19**" (1967-70) was a relaunch of the show.  It was not a renaming of the old one, but a different series.  Oddly, the pilot for this series was originally called "Dragnet 1966" and was a two hour TV movie.  It has several cast differences from the series that followed.  It was not shown in the USA until it was shown as a two part episode in the seires in 1968.  But it was in theatres as "World Premire: Dragnet" two years earlier in other countries.

Webb was working on a third series when he died in 1982.  There was then another series called "The New Dragnet" from 1989-91.  Then the (truly awful) Ed O'Neil series from 2003-04.  It was "Dragnet" for its first season and "LA Dragnet" for its second.

There also was a movie, more or less just a bigger budget and longer version of the first TV show, in 1954, and the Dan Aykroyd comedy movie in 1987.

slorydn1

There was that gameshow Matchgame back in the 70's.

I think it started in 1973 and was called Matchgame '73, and the title changed to match the year every year for several years and then changed to Matchgame P.M. as it's last iteration.

In my mind I can still hear host Gene Rayburn ask a question such as "That woman was so drunk that she slipped and fell on her [blank]" which would cause Charles Nelson Reilly to start laughing hysterically which would then spread to the entire panel.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

akotchi

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 21, 2016, 10:30:48 AM
In my mind I can still hear host Gene Rayburn ask a question such as "That woman was so drunk that she slipped and fell on her [blank]" which would cause Charles Nelson Reilly to start laughing hysterically which would then spread to the entire panel.

Don't forget the audience participation part . . . How drunk was she?   ;-)
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

SteveG1988

SeaQuest DSV became Seaquest 2032, warning spoilers,

Spoiler:

Season 2 ended on a cliffhanger, in 2022 when the crew were taken by an alien space ship to another planet, the ship self destructed, etc....a classic case of trying to buy another season. Season 3 started, set on earth, 10 years later. When SeaQuest (Submarine!) is found in a cornfield in the middle of nowhere. The crew, scattered around the planet, in their last "happy place" Everyone was unaged. The capitan goes on the search for his son, Michael Ironside takes over as the Commanding officer. Season 2 had a lot of seasonal rot issues, namely a few monster of the week episodes where they faced, and i am not joking, a giant crocodile that was a frozen fossil, killer plants, etc. Season 3 several cast members stayed, and the plots became a lot more serious. It was still basically star trek under the ocean, season 1 was TNG like, season 2 was voyager like, season 3 was like DS9 in terms of tone.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

noelbotevera

I think it started in 1973 and was called Matchgame '73, and the title changed to match the year every year for several years and then changed to Matchgame P.M. as it's last iteration.

Ah yes, I've watched episodes of those on Youtube.

The original Teen Titans from the mid 90's or so to about 2004 later came back in 2013/2014 as the godawful Teen Titans Go.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

1995hoo

There was also the one where he said a contestant had nice nipples. He meant to say "dimples."

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NJRoadfan

Ellen was originally called These Friends of Mine. The title card was altered during re-runs to cover the old name.

sparker

The TV show "Burke's Law", about a police detective (played by Gene Barry) who happened to be a zillionaire and who was chauffeured to crime scenes in a Rolls-Royce (1963-65) suddenly changed direction in 1965 -- to take advantage of the James Bond/spy craze of the time -- and morphed into "Amos Burke, Secret Agent".  Featuring ludicrous plots -- and full of guest actors & actresses who had appeared in Bond films -- the show lasted one unmemorable season.     

PHLBOS

One short-lived early 90s sitcom that aired on the Fox network, modeled after the 1986 movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off went from Parker Lewis Can't Lose to simply Parker Lewis in its 3rd & final season.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.