Are you a project person or an event person?

Started by bandit957, July 31, 2016, 02:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Are you a project person or an event person?

For some people, life is a series of events. For other peeps, life is a series of projects.

Not long ago, I figured out I'm a project person. Apparently, I'm in the minority. As a project person, I continue strong links with my past activities. I still effectively expand on some of the same projects I've had as far back as I could remember, perhaps as far back as preschool age. I'm much more realistic now, and not fantastical like I was as a kid, but it's more or less the same projects.

I'm not much of a people person, and I never performed well in careers where I had to talk to people, but maybe it's because I'm really more into projects than events.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GCrites

I'd like to be a project person, but I'm "good enough" with people that I was thrown into the event person realm. Some people would say that I'm actually really good with people and events. But the top level of being a people person is turning people into projects without pissing them off or causing harm. I'm not that good, so back to the event realm for me.

Darkchylde

Definitely more of a project person here. Now if only I could finish one...

wxfree

I don't see a difference.  A project is a series of events.  Events can be separate from projects and those can be as important as events that are part of projects.

My fascination with roads goes back a long way.  I grew up in a town but have always loved rural areas.  To me, roads have always been the way to the rural areas I like to go to.  This fascination isn't really a project, but is a purpose.  My interest in roads has included several projects, such as exploring certain areas and memorizing roads.  One recent project was tracking the speed limit increases after Texas made 75 mph limit legal statewide.  Each month I'd look at the minute order and each time it was an event.  Each event contributed to the project, which was motivated by the purpose, my love of roads.  To me, purpose, project, and event all add up to an important thing and none of them has as much meaning is it could without the other two.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jeffandnicole

Volunteering, I'm an event person, especially when they occur over a period of time (several days, a week, etc).  I'm still not extremely talkative...many volunteers will know a lot more about other people by the time the event is done than I will...but I enjoy the event in my own way.

But normal everyday life, much more a project person.

slorydn1

I'm with wxfree. I really don't see a distinction between the two.

Like jeffandnichole, I was a volunteer, in a multitude of areas. At church, at school, Fire and EMS-the latter is what led me to my paid career in 911 (in which I also started out as a reserve-a volunteer who got trained but didn't get paid until I got hired full-time after about 6 months).

All of these events led to projects over time (right now I'm tasked with the project of setting up our 911 center to be EMD certified). Yet, my whole job centers around whatever event is called in the next time the phone rings or a unit calls me on the radio.

So I guess if there is a distinction between the two, I guess I am equally comfortable either way.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Max Rockatansky

I generally don't enjoy people very much and go out of my way to avoid them as much as possible.  I'll even go to a movie at 10 AM due so I can have minimal interference.  I would much rather watch a sports event on TV than go to one in person nowadays or enjoy a beer on the couch rather than one at a party or bar.  So definitely not an "events" person in that sense.  As far as projects...I would call being more of a loner more than anything.  Unless you consider all these little road trips that I do projects then I don't think that I qualify there either.  I would say that I'm probably just bored half the time and watching TV doesn't do it for me anymore?  :eyebrow:

bandit957

Quote from: Darkchylde on August 02, 2016, 12:06:33 AM
Definitely more of a project person here. Now if only I could finish one...

People used to accuse me of starting projects and not finishing them, but usually they just morphed into other projects.

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 02, 2016, 07:48:19 AM
I generally don't enjoy people very much and go out of my way to avoid them as much as possible.

I used to work at the local library, but I always preferred to be left alone at work. I didn't like dealing with customers, no matter how reasonable they were. I just absolutely hated that. I just wanted to process and sort the new books and be left alone by customers.

bandit957

The first project I can remember was a very small one. When I was about 4 years old, I drew a street map of a local neighborhood on a paper grocery bag. It wasn't really to cartographic scale. I drew it the way I perceived it.

I had other things like this that went on for years, but mostly they were maps of fictional places.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on August 02, 2016, 10:41:52 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 02, 2016, 07:48:19 AM
I generally don't enjoy people very much and go out of my way to avoid them as much as possible.

I used to work at the local library, but I always preferred to be left alone at work. I didn't like dealing with customers, no matter how reasonable they were. I just absolutely hated that. I just wanted to process and sort the new books and be left alone by customers.

I was fortunate in that regard that I was always certain even probably in middle school that I wanted either to be in Law Enforcement or the Military.  So basically going out of high school I did my four years as a military police office and then got to do the same thing for six years as highway patrol.  I had an opportunity to move out of law enforcement into something very similar so for the most part my interactions with people have generally been when they've done something that they shouldn't have.  :rolleyes: Funny thing was that I come from a family of people who were sales people or were into marketing...listening to them talk sometimes is exhausting.  I got a brother who is into some pyramid marketing type deal...granted he makes money at it but he has to be an extreme extrovert which seems to be his thing.  Me as the outside kind looks at what he does as almost "cult" like.  :-D

bandit957

One other thing I was always interested in was the music charts, and this was a project that lasted 8 years. I guess I was going on 10 when I started paying really close attention, thanks to shows like 'American Top 40'. For 8 years - up until 'American Top 40' stopped using the Hot 100 - I kept very close track of the top 40 chart. I developed a point system for each record that charted, with 40 points for each week at #1, 39 points for each week at #2, etc. If for some reason I was out of town and couldn't hear Casey or Shadoe countin' down the hits, somehow I'd find out the top 40 songs that week. I vaguely recall going to the Covington library in the early '90s and looking at Billboard.

Casey Kasem and Shadoe Stevens were like hip music professors in my day.

One day, I was getting ready to listen to the countdown, and my mom said, "You can't let your life revolve around the top 40." I think it was because I had outdoor chores to do. So I took a radio outside and listened to the countdown while raking leaves and refilling the lawn mower.

GCrites

Since I have the capability of dealing with hundreds of customers per day I got thrown into the people zone. Sometimes it does get draining being in front of the public 40-50 hours a week and of course I spend even more time in public eating and taking care of daily life tasks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.