News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Filming locations of various movies

Started by Stephane Dumas, August 06, 2016, 03:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I spotted some screenshots of various locations of Toronto where the first 4 Police Academy movies and Short Circuit 2 was filmed. (The 1st Short Circuit was filmed in Astoria where the Goonies was filmed).
http://torontoist.com/2008/03/_in_our_very_fi/
http://torontoist.com/2007/10/reel_toronto_th/

7/8

These were to interesting to read, thanks Stephane! The fact that they would let the CN Tower and Toronto Star buildings stay in the background is pretty funny.

I think these would be good for posting in this topic (despite the name, the topic is for both TV shows and movies) https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10575.0

sparker

Back in 1977, a good friend lived in San Francisco on North Kearney street, in the block above Broadway (a 40-degree upslope northbound, closed to through traffic).  The film "Foul Play" (with Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn et. al.) filmed a chase sequence on the block; they paid her a few hundred $$ to plant their lighting equipment on her front porch for 3 days; she got to watch the filming from her bay window -- and also got free tickets to the local premiere.  Unfortunately, the film (written by the guy who wrote "Silver Streak") was pretty forgettable, with a quite ludicrous plot!   

Max Rockatansky

I'm assuming by the thread name that this meant to be all inclusive in regards to movie filming locales.  I always liked the back drop scenery from the Colorado Plateau in Vanishing Point.  I really think that's where Monument Valley and U.S. 163 really got associated with car culture due to that White Hemi Challenger try to put juke a patrol car.  I really enjoyed visiting both Thompson Springs and Cisco as well since they were in the movie then gradually became full fledged ghost towns.  The drive-in scene in Back to the Future 3 and the part where Forest stops running were in Monument Valley also.

sparker

I alluded to this in the thread about getting city features wrong, but back about '84 a friend and I decided to map out all the locations in S.F. used in the chase sequence in "Bullitt".  We had a camcorder with us loaded with a copy of the film, so we could flip back & forth and stop-motion while driving around the city.  He drove, and I operated the camcorder, viewing the film on the unit's small monitor screen.  We determined that the sequence started on Army Street a couple of blocks west of 101, but quickly moved up to Nob Hill before heading over to the north slope of Russian Hill near Gough, where most of the section where the cars were becoming airborne at cross streets while heading downhill (and where the viewer's gut is up in one's throat!) was filmed.  Obviously the film crew searched for locations that would have the most visceral effect without much thought to geographic continuity!  -- if you didn't spend much time in S.F., you wouldn't likely know the difference anyway! 

The last in-city sequence was at the southern entrance to the Presidio, above Ocean Beach, where the chase cars made an abrupt left onto what looked like a semi-rural roadway -- but the chase continued onto San Bruno Mountain Blvd., which, as the name suggests, hugs the ridge of the mountain separating S.F. from South San Francisco (with spectacular views of the bay as well as SFO airport!).  That road was built in 1966-67 and wasn't even opened to the public at the time of filming (late '67); the rather volatile & spectacular chase end "set" (where the villains' Charger plows into a propane tank field and subsequently explodes) was set up right above where the road descends into the town of Brisbane. 

Best part of this trip through the film's locations -- we did it in my friend's 1967 Mustang coupe -- it wasn't the British Racing Green Shelby variant used in the film (and mostly driven by McQueen himself!), but a lighter metallic green.  Still, close enough (it had the original 289 engine that was the basis for the Shelby mod).  Fun times! 

tchafe1978

Milwaukee has been the filming location of at least 2 movies that were set in other cities. On of the best sports movies of all time, Major League, was set in Cleveland, but a majority of it was filmed in Milwaukee, especially the stadium scenes. Milwaukee County Stadium was used in place of Cleveland Municipal Stadium. I can remember casting calls in the paper for large numbers of extras to fill the stadium for some of the scenes. I think I was in 5th grade at the time, and one of my classmates can be seen dancing on top of the dugout in one of the scenes where Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn makes his entrance from the bullpen.

Blues Brothers is another movie set in another city but partially filmed in Milwaukee. It was set in Chicago, but some of the chase scenes were filmed in Milwaukee, most notably the scene where the cops chasing Jake and Elwood go flying off the end of unfinished freeway ramps. That scene was filmed at the only partially finished I-794 Hoan Bridge.

roadman

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 12, 2016, 01:50:19 PM

Blues Brothers is another movie set in another city but partially filmed in Milwaukee. It was set in Chicago, but some of the chase scenes were filmed in Milwaukee, most notably the scene where the cops chasing Jake and Elwood go flying off the end of unfinished freeway ramps. That scene was filmed at the only partially finished I-794 Hoan Bridge.

It wasn't the cops who flew off the unfinished ramp.  It was the leader of the Illinois Nazi Party (played by Henry Gibson) and his deputy.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

tchafe1978

Quote from: roadman on August 12, 2016, 02:22:28 PM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 12, 2016, 01:50:19 PM

It wasn't the cops who flew off the unfinished ramp.  It was the leader of the Illinois Nazi Party (played by Henry Gibson) and his deputy.

Yup, you're right. My memory failed me those details.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.