5 Minutes Early Is On Time; On Time Is Late; Late Is Unacceptable

Started by ZLoth, August 10, 2016, 01:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: 8.Lug on August 11, 2016, 12:41:46 PM
Aside from people utilizing public transportation - Why is it so hard for people to just get to work on time - and to just work til their shift ends? Why is it so difficult to have some work ethic? Jesus fucking christ people.

I don't think it's entirely fair to conflate lack of punctuality with laziness or lack of work ethic.

Trying to get to a particular location at an exact time is an incredibly demanding request that, if I try to meet to the T, is the source of a lot of stress and anxiety. I used to be like this, always aiming to be early so I had a margin of error to prevent lateness, and I would get annoyed and complain when someone was two minutes late meeting me. I was told by many people that my expectations were unrealistic and I was doing myself a disservice by complaining about something most people didn't think was a big deal.

Eventually I learned to chill out and stop fussing so much about punctuality and not worry about possibly being five minutes late to something. It has allowed me to relax more. It has not, however, negatively impacted the amount of work I get done.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Jardine

When I was 'office-hourly', I didn't have to clock in or out.  Didn't really appreciate it too much as I had a supervisor for a while that liked to schedule meetings at 8AM.  When the company instituted flex time (LOL, how flexible is coming in at either 8 or 9?) I happily took the 9AM slot, and saved everyone else with the 8AM the hassle of being timely to work.

And I didn't garner any flack for the 9AM start either as it aligned me closer to the west coast schedule (2 hrs later) and my job went better since most of what I did involved Rockwell and Boeing Commercial*.  I made a strong case for allowing me to come in at 10AM, and while my super agreed it would be a plus if I fully synchronized with Cali, she didn't think the higher ups would go for it no matter what.

*some time later I was absorbed into a cluster fuck involving BMA, and they were in Wichita KS, and I suppose boss was happy I wasn't coming in at 10 at that point

Jardine

I was one of the few in our section that grabbed lunch in the cafeteria everyday and ate at my desk over the noon hour.  Since I was in the office (50 minutes out of 60) I was 'on call' far all kinds of brushfires I then got to stamp out.  Made me look good to have handled things outside my realm of responsibilities.

90% of business is just being there, LOL!

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 10, 2016, 03:08:13 PM
I'm usually one for getting where I'm going early.  But with that said, I'm not going to flip the hell out if someone is "on time."  On time is on time, if you wanted someone there early then say so.

But then wouldn't the earlier time you requested someone be there become the "on-time" time?  :hmmm:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 13, 2016, 08:48:21 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 10, 2016, 03:08:13 PM
I'm usually one for getting where I'm going early.  But with that said, I'm not going to flip the hell out if someone is "on time."  On time is on time, if you wanted someone there early then say so.

But then wouldn't the earlier time you requested someone be there become the "on-time" time?  :hmmm:

No that would be early.  Usually most reasonable companies have a reasonable variance for clocking in early like 6 to 15 minutes early...some even have one for being late.  That's what makes the change to the exempt status law so interesting.  Suddenly you'll have a bunch of people who didn't have to clock-in before that going to have to now.  So some of these people described earlier in the thread having these crazed "5 minutes is on time" expectations are going to probably have to put up or shut up if they make less than 47.5k a year.

roadman65

When I worked for Aramark we had a boss there who considered you to arrive back from Lunch or your fifteen minute break on time as late.  He had a buzzer installed to regulate our breaks and at two minutes before the meal period or break ended he had it set to buzz.  It meant you had two minutes to travel back to your station so that when the end break buzzer went off, you were to be working.

All other managers gave you your full 15 and 30 minute but not ole Larry who said for every employee late for work one minute late that means 70 minutes of work is lost as we had over that amount of employees.  He seems to gorget that you can make up those seventy minutes by doing a power move as it has been proven that with other managers in his position.  He was just a gold brick who never had responsibilities of his own, as his approach to being a manager is that if every employee works, there is no need for a department or division head to work himself and he proved that and got a pat on the back from his boss for just walking around the plant and sitting in his office watching the camera all day long.  In fact he complained about me being in the restroom too long and was willing to show me the captions on video to prove that as the doors to the men's room were under surveilance.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

He was watching when you were entering and leaving the bathroom....what if you had a stomach virus?  That's one step below being illegal surveillance, from your description he probably crossed the line at some point and cameras installed in the bathroom.  Sounds like this guy read too many old industrist books on "work productivity" and man hours. 

nexus73

As a joke saying goes, when you work for yourself you only need to work for half a day...which 12 hours you work is up to you...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jwolfer

Quote from: nexus73 on August 13, 2016, 11:19:02 AM
As a joke saying goes, when you work for yourself you only need to work for half a day...which 12 hours you work is up to you...LOL!

Rick
But if you have something happen or an event like a kids field trip or play... No explanation or begging for the time off

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 13, 2016, 09:20:54 AM
He was watching when you were entering and leaving the bathroom....what if you had a stomach virus?  That's one step below being illegal surveillance, from your description he probably crossed the line at some point and cameras installed in the bathroom.  Sounds like this guy read too many old industrist books on "work productivity" and man hours. 

Sounds like he watched Chaplin's Modern Times and he thought it was a how-to film.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on August 14, 2016, 12:50:25 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 13, 2016, 09:20:54 AM

Sounds like he watched Chaplin's Modern Times and he thought it was a how-to film.

Or Metropolis....   Maybe he thought that the wealthy elite industrialists were the protagonists and the workers living underground were the antagonists who wrought the destruction of their home?   :eyebrow:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.