Thinking of starting a little collection of old tech

Started by noelbotevera, August 25, 2016, 07:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

I've been reading up on technology along with some civil engineering/road construction on the side, and was thinking of trying to learn how to code with C++. So I just thought about making a collection of old technology I find around the house or pick up for cheap on eBay.

My first item could be a wire recorder, and I found one on eBay that works for only $75. Considering the age, that's dirt cheap.

Besides, it also gives me bragging rights to next person who says that they bought the iPhone 6S when it was new, and went to Disney World (should note I mean kids who act like spoiled rich people).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hotdogPi

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 25, 2016, 07:35:35 PM

Besides, it also gives me bragging rights to next person who says that they bought the iPhone 6S when it was, and went to Disney World (should note I mean kids who act like spoiled rich people).

Are you missing a word? I can't seem to parse this.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

Just hang onto what every gadgetry you have now.  Sooner or later it is bound to become vintage.  I have a crap ton of old video game systems and computers that I used to play games on.  I tried to sell the whole load for $500 about 10 years back but there was no takers.  I hung onto all the stuff that worked and now it's the only thing people want to talk about when they hit my living room. 

noelbotevera

Quote from: 1 on August 25, 2016, 07:44:01 PM

Besides, it also gives me bragging rights to next person who says that they bought the iPhone 6S when it was, and went to Disney World (should note I mean kids who act like spoiled rich people).

Oops, forgot about this thread. Should be fixed.

Problem is, things such as the original Wii is only ten years old and isn't really worth much. I've found some good deals on old tech, such as a Webster Chicago wire recorder for $75.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Scott5114

When I was your age (which wasn't that long ago, around 2002 or so) I had a thing for typewriters. I managed to talk my English teachers into allowing typewritten work (when they wouldn't accept computer work, because spell-check was considered "cheating"). Both of my typewriters were electric and eventually stopped working. I always wanted to get a manual typewriter, but never did.

Later on I eventually got a word processor, which is basically a stand-alone device that does nothing but run a word processing program somewhat like MS Word. You could save to a floppy disk or print it to what was basically an electric typewriter that was part of the device.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GCrites

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 27, 2016, 09:20:28 PM

Problem is, things such as the original Wii is only ten years old and isn't really worth much. I've found some good deals on old tech, such as a Webster Chicago wire recorder for $75.

Yeah, Wii is deep in the Dead Zone. Protip: If you are in your late teens/early 20s DO NOT pick that time to sell your video game stuff from middle school. Everybody has the same idea at the same time, and there is no way that there are going to be as many people wanting to buy 9-year-old video games as there are people wanting to sell them for cigarette and beer money. That's what creates and reinforces the Video Game Dead Zone of 5-15 year old stuff.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 30, 2016, 07:28:55 PM
When I was your age (which wasn't that long ago, around 2002 or so) I had a thing for typewriters. I managed to talk my English teachers into allowing typewritten work (when they wouldn't accept computer work, because spell-check was considered "cheating"). Both of my typewriters were electric and eventually stopped working. I always wanted to get a manual typewriter, but never did.

Later on I eventually got a word processor, which is basically a stand-alone device that does nothing but run a word processing program somewhat like MS Word. You could save to a floppy disk or print it to what was basically an electric typewriter that was part of the device.

I can relate. My family had an old typewriter that I thought was incredibly interesting and would often play around on it. I never really did much with it though.

As an aside, Salvation Armies, Goodwills, and similarly situated second-hand stores are often good places to find really good deals on old electronics. You often get employees there who don't know the value of a piece and it gets priced well below market value. Avoid specialty electronic stores because their employees obviously have a better idea of what the product will sell for.

noelbotevera

Quote from: GCrites80s on August 30, 2016, 09:53:41 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 27, 2016, 09:20:28 PM

Yeah, Wii is deep in the Dead Zone. Protip: If you are in your late teens/early 20s DO NOT pick that time to sell your video game stuff from middle school. Everybody has the same idea at the same time, and there is no way that there are going to be as many people wanting to buy 9-year-old video games as there are people wanting to sell them for cigarette and beer money. That's what creates and reinforces the Video Game Dead Zone of 5-15 year old stuff.
I actually bought it around when I turned I think 6. I'm letting it age or try to repair it to see if that will increase the value after it hits 16+ years old.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

sparker

If you really want to start having some fun with older electronics, consider looking (mostly at garage and estate sales) for older audio equipment -- analog receivers from the '70's, turntables from that period (although DO upgrade the phono cartridges!), and even cassette or reel-to-reel tape decks (most of them will need all new drive belts!).  If you can find any vacuum-tube equipment (not old consoles like Zenith or Motorola) -- primarily American-made gear like H.H. Scott, Eico, Dynaco, etc. -- at bargain prices, those will increase in value with a little TLC (and you can find just about any audio tube ever used these days, thanks to the former Eastern Bloc!).  The fun thing is -- while you're collecting these items, you'll be able to avail yourself of great audio!

Disclaimer: I'm a partner in a vintage audio restoration and sales business -- but if you purchase such equipment from us, it'll naturally cost you considerably more due to the fact that we put $$ into each unit to rehab them internally & cosmetically.  Right now, I'm rebuilding an old Harman-Kardon Citation II tube amplifier, circa '63, that back then retailed for about $550.  After the update, we're going to list it for about $1750 -- and we've already got a couple of collectors interested at that price point!  Bottom line -- if you find this type of unit -- and learn to do basic work on them -- you can turn your collection activities into, if you so want, a viable venture!

Max Rockatansky

^^^  To add to that I've even made a couple bucks on the side repairing broken 24-hour VCR units over the years.  Believe it or not some people really even still don't want to make the jump to DVR despite how cheap it's become.  Funny how easy the machines are to fix yet how to fix them since they became obsolete.  Basically it's all supply and demand....when you are the only supply and someone demands...you name the price and go from there.

sparker

One thing I've found over the years -- if you're going to deal with older technology, it's a good thing to have a handy supply of spare parts with which to work.  Hit garage sales, swap meets, estate sales -- and if the price is right, add as many units (particularly tape/video recorders) to your own stash as you can accommodate -- working or not -- just as a parts source.  This is especially true for older VHS VCR's (through the late '80's):  most were actually made from internal parts supplied by three main manufacturers:  Panasonic, JVC, and Hitachi -- the latter OEM'd all the old RCA stuff.  Thus if you need a head assembly for an old RCA, if you have an old Hitachi, it stands a good chance of working if it's the same basic configuration.  Audio equipment -- get to know the websites of component distributors like Mouser and Digikey; unless you get something that's physically trashed, you can usually repair anything built prior to the home-theater era, when most internal construction went to surface-mount components (they're adhered to the circuit boards and wave-soldered, so they're all but impossible to repair at the component level).  There's a number of (derisive) sayings about home-theater (aka "short attention span audio") components -- but the most common way of dealing with one that has "crashed" is to practice your shot-put into the nearest dumpster!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.