News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 27, 2014, 08:39:33 PM
Is there a PR release on this that you can link me to? Need to update OSM and want to have the PR to back up the edit.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2014/2014-05-02
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cu2010 on July 27, 2014, 09:26:29 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 27, 2014, 08:39:33 PM
Is there a PR release on this that you can link me to? Need to update OSM and want to have the PR to back up the edit.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2014/2014-05-02

Thanks!  Now have updated OSM in Changeset #24394677.  Also have created a note on OSM so that you or anybody else can let everybody know when it might re-open so that OSM can be updated and have I-86 tags updated to allow it to be routed on once again. - https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/207176

Billy F 1988

Well, I hate to break the news to this particular thread, but the Googs now appear to have marked Continental Drive south of Butte as "route 375" and Montana Highway 2 with a "quasai concurrency" of "route 393". Those don't exist in Butte. And those "routes" per se, are Secondary route numbers that are farther east than they appear to be "according" to Google. Yeah. Just because you think MT 2 is "concurrent" with SR 393 doesn't mean anything to me at all. And Continental Drive is a local artery that connects with I-90 and MT 2 and should not warrant a Secondary designation based on the low traffic volume there.

Want proof of my find? Click the link to validate this discovery: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.957493,-112.4578503,12z
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

dfwmapper

393 looks like someone made an honest mistake at some point in the past, because 393 does continue south from that point, and 2 is poorly signed north of there. 375 appears to be a historical relic, as I did find references to a highway 375 in some random newspaper articles from the 60s, and also there are arrowhead 375 signs along highway 2 at the southern intersection in street view. Not in the road log now though. Both fixed now, so that should be updated on Maps soon.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Several ramps on the New Jersey Turnpike are marked with white instead of their usual colors. (See Exits 3 and 5) Strangely, this doesn't happen for exit 8A, where NJ 32 is also marked in white on Google Maps, but the ramps are their normal colors.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2014, 12:51:28 PM
US 1-9 Truck is now US 1-9 Bipass :bigass:

Same with US-19 Truck here in Pittsburgh.

dfwmapper

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 21, 2014, 07:37:17 PM

They're correctly named as Truck. Google uses the BYP banner because...who knows. Probably easier than doing proper support for bannered routes. US routes only get a few (ALT, BUS, BYP), while state routes get none.

roadman65

Not exactly a highway, but a city street in Newark, NJ (and Irvington, NJ) that is supposed to be Sanford Avenue.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Irvington,+NJ/@40.7330949,-74.2376248,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c3acc433f2e4d1:0x50cac0d62e5a555f

In fact Essex County made the same mistake (I wonder if these two are connected) on CR 603 in Irvington on the overhead street signs at the intersection there.  http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/essex/ Scroll down to the lower part.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this before, but I hate when GM uses names that might be technically correct, but aren't really used regularly.

For example, I-10 is the Christopher Columbus Transcontinental Highway, and there is ONE (and only one) sign stating that in Santa Monica, CA, but nobody uses that.  It's known as  either I-10, or the Santa Monica Freeway.

Many places where US 30 is technically Lincoln Highway, but it might be know on the street signs as being "Main Street", yet Main Street is not shown on the map.  And when you are driving the road, only Main Street shows up, not Lincoln Highway.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: dfwmapper on October 22, 2014, 01:54:24 AM

They're correctly named as Truck. Google uses the BYP banner because...who knows. Probably easier than doing proper support for bannered routes. US routes only get a few (ALT, BUS, BYP), while state routes get none.
Not familiar with Pittsburgh, but seeing that given the two choices, US 1/9 Truck is clearly more of a business route than a bypass, there's nothing correct about that banner.

dfwmapper

rickmastfan67

I know that the extension of PA Turnpike 576 is underway, but I didn't think it was open..... :banghead:

http://goo.gl/maps/wGtKt

dfwmapper

There's apparently a bug in Maps causing roads that are marked as Planned/Started to be visible.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

It's different in Map vs. Satellite view as well.

Bickendan

Quote from: mrsman on November 30, 2014, 07:41:53 AM
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this before, but I hate when GM uses names that might be technically correct, but aren't really used regularly.

For example, I-10 is the Christopher Columbus Transcontinental Highway, and there is ONE (and only one) sign stating that in Santa Monica, CA, but nobody uses that.  It's known as  either I-10, or the Santa Monica Freeway.

Many places where US 30 is technically Lincoln Highway, but it might be know on the street signs as being "Main Street", yet Main Street is not shown on the map.  And when you are driving the road, only Main Street shows up, not Lincoln Highway.
At some point, GM showed US 30 in Oregon as the Lincoln Highway.
Not quite, Goog.

NE2

Quote from: Bickendan on December 04, 2014, 12:01:05 PM
At some point, GM showed US 30 in Oregon as Quebec Route 366.
Not quite, Goog.

dfwmapper

Good help is hard to find. It's especially hard when your pool of talent is more suited to answering phones for AOL.

Bickendan

mrsman

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 30, 2014, 07:55:46 AM

Not familiar with Pittsburgh, but seeing that given the two choices, US 1/9 Truck is clearly more of a business route than a bypass, there's nothing correct about that banner.

US 1/9 Truck is a business routing, but truck makes more sense because the regular 1/9 prohibits certain heavy trucks on the Pulaski Skyway.  Truck 1/9 provides a truck friendly toll free route between Newark and the Holland Tunnel.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: NE2 on December 04, 2014, 12:04:28 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on December 04, 2014, 12:01:05 PM
At some point, GM showed US 30 in Oregon as Quebec Route 366.
Not quite, Goog.

[Empty post]

Not only US 30 in OR, but the entire lenght of US 30 was marked as Quebec Route 366.

Or all those 'US [Insert number here] in [Insert state here]'.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Zeffy

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 05, 2014, 10:30:05 AM
Not only US 30 in OR, but the entire lenght of US 30 was marked as Quebec Route 366.

Is it bad that I just can't take that particular route number seriously, no matter where it is?

Quote from: mrsman on December 05, 2014, 10:12:17 AM
US 1/9 Truck is a business routing, but truck makes more sense because the regular 1/9 prohibits certain heavy trucks on the Pulaski Skyway.  Truck 1/9 provides a truck friendly toll free route between Newark and the Holland Tunnel.

Actually, I don't even think it's marked as 1/9 in the first place - all I see are US 9 shields on the TRUCK 1/9 section.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Kacie Jane

Quote from: mrsman on December 05, 2014, 10:12:17 AM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 30, 2014, 07:55:46 AM

I didn't mean that it should be signed as Business in real life.  Just that if Google is going to insist on a choice between only Business or Bypass, Business would have been clearly better in this case, so the BYP banner is especially wrong.

dfwmapper

The problem is that too many states sign TRUCK along the best through route when they should be using BYPASS or no banner on the bypass and BUSINESS on the in-town route. The Goog using BYP as the banner for routes signed as TRUCK conveys the correct idea most of the time, just not in this one oddball case where it's a truck route not because it's the best route, but because of restrictions on what would otherwise be the best route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.