News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA 63-Woodhaven Road (Northeast Philadelphia)

Started by ilvny, February 15, 2013, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilvny

I remember seeing signs saying StopWoodhavenRoad.com, which led me to research Woodhaven Road, which is designated as PA 63.  According to the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, PA 63 (the current Woodhaven Road alignment) was to extend to the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  PA 63 would have continued as the Cross County Expressway, "[serving] the PA 611 corridor, utilizing the Doylestown Bypass as it continued north to the PA 33 freeway near Easton" (Wikipedia).

When this fell through, Woodhaven Road was to continue from Evans Street to Philmont Avenue.  This was cancelled because residents of Lower Moreland did not want increased traffic.  In 1993, an alternative plan arose that would extend Woodhaven Road to Bustleton Avenue.  This never happened.

Right now, Woodhaven Road ends in an industrial area.  All traffic is directed to turn left onto Evans Street which connects to Byberry Road.  As a result, Byberry Road backs up frequently because its used as a connector to and from Woodhaven Road, which connects to US 1 (Roosevelt Boulevard), Thornton Road, Academy Road, Knights Road, Franklin Mills Mall, US 13 (Bristol Pike), and I-95.  Byberry Road is also impacted by traffic from PA 532 (Bustleton Avenue), and Philmont Avenue.

Since Woodhaven Road was never finished, PA 63 runs in a concurrency with US 1.  The concurrency ends at Red Lion Road, which carries the PA 63 designation.  In addition, the Woodhaven cloverleaf interchange with Roosevelt Boulevard has ramps that are blocked off.

I wish Woodhaven Road would extend further as originally planned to relieve the traffic in the Somerton neighborhood of Philadelphia.

Roadsguy

This is pretty common knowledge. :P

I believe it was never cancelled to bring it to Philmont/Byberry, but it's not active. They really should bring it to the Turnpike, but there's a cemetery in the way. :(
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PAHighways

There were plans in the early 00s that would have completed the expressway; however, not to the extent of what was originally proposed.  Three alternatives were devised, which I have listed on my Woodhaven Road page.

Since logging onto woodhavenroad.com now resolves to a place holder page indicating it is for sale, it would appear any extension is dead...again.

SteveG1988

Have they upgraded US1 between woodhaven road and the turnpike, to make up for the lack of PA63 connection
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

akotchi

The only recent construction I am aware of is that double left turn lanes were constructed northbound at the Old Lincoln Highway intersection, but that was more of a weaving issue between the merge of inner-outer drives and the signal.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.