I-65 parallel Ohio River bridge Louisville/Southern Indiana

Started by hbelkins, February 24, 2012, 08:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

http://transportation.ky.gov/Press%20Releases/2012-02-23%20Downtown%20RFQ%20Issued%20RELEASE.docx

(Sorry for the link being to a Word document; I don't know why Frankfort does press releases online the way they do now).

The big news here is that they are doing a design-build with three finalists selected. The two finalists not selected will be getting a $1.5 million payment and KYTC will retain ownership of their design work.

Needless to say, this is a bit controversial.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

So you guys are going to pay for the design work three times and only use one design.  It would seem that $3M is far more than the supposed savings of a design build over traditional contracting or state employee designing.

hbelkins

State designing? Ha. The state hasn't designed anything other than some small projects for years. I don't even know why the state has design engineers on the payroll if they are going to use consultants on every project.

Of course I think the second downtown Louisville bridge is a colossal waste. Build the east end bridge and detour trucks out of downtown Louisville onto it or the Sherman Minton and be done with it.

Revive 755

Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2012, 12:46:36 PM
State designing? Ha. The state hasn't designed anything other than some small projects for years. I don't even know why the state has design engineers on the payroll if they are going to use consultants on every project.

Someone has to make sure the consultant plans are accurate.

hbelkins

On second thought, they have to use the consultants to pay off political contributors, and they have to hire personnel to reward political supporters.

SSF

Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2012, 09:13:33 PM

On second thought, they have to use the consultants to pay off political contributors, and they have to hire personnel to reward political supporters.

could be like one of GDOT's larger consultants and have the firm be co-founded by one of your former commissioners. 

codyg1985

It is common practice on design-build projects for the owner to pay the top firms that don't end up getting the project. There is a lot of work that goes into putting together the proposals, and these "fees" reflect that amount of money.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

RoadWarrior56

SSF, I know exactly what firm you are referring to, I had worked there at one time.

tdindy88

Bumping this for the reason of asking a question about this particular bridge, and I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked, but what is your opinion about the style of bridge being built here? I look at the current skyline of Louisville with the Kennedy, Clark, and railroad bridge plus the Big Four bridge currently being pedestrianized and then I look at the new northbound bridge for I-65. Does it seem out of place, the cable-stayed design of the bridge? On the East End, the design seems to work since there is no comparison bridge to compete with it, but downtown, with all those iron truss bridges over the river, it just seems that there isn't much consideration to how the ultimate look of the city will be with this new bridge. If it is a cheaper or better design, than fine, but if it's just about looking futuristic, is it worth it? Would it be any different if the new northbound bridge looked like the Kennedy (albiet newer.) They're building a new truss bridge over the Ohio in Madison and it works fine for them. Didn't know what the feel was like down there by those in the Louisville/Southern Indiana area.

hbelkins

I don't care what the new bridge looks like. It's not needed and is a waste of money.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Kentucky & Indiana finalize details of agreement on responsibility split for Ohio River bridges

QuoteIndiana and Kentucky officials are formally approving agreements governing the construction, financing and management of the $2.6 billion Ohio River bridges project, which adds two new tolled river crossings in Louisville and rebuild downtown interchanges on both sides. The formalities of a bi-state development agreement and a related interlocal agreement are scheduled for approval by the Kentucky Public Transportation Infrastructure Authority (KPTIA) and at meetings today in Indianapolis and Frankfort.

QuoteThe new Louisville and Southern Indiana Bridges Authority (LASIBA) which was created to develop a financing plan for the project will  meet before the end of October to begin work on the financing. LASIBA however is reduced to something of a legal shell by the agreements which delegate most of the powers of the bistate authority to each state's sponsoring agencies.

QuoteFor all the PR talk of these being "final agreements" important details of toll policy remain to be negotiated in a Toll Policy Agreement. And although harmony and goodwill currently prevail across the Ohio River when it comes to tolls and a multi-billion dollar project contention can arise.

QuoteKentucky's first venture into electronic tolling

Tolling is to be all-electronic. It will be Kentucky's first venture into electronic tolling and it will join the E-ZPass Group. Indiana is already part of E-ZPass.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ljwestmcsd

Of course I think the second downtown Louisville bridge is a colossal waste. Build the east end bridge and detour trucks out of downtown Louisville onto it or the Sherman Minton and be done with it.

The downtown bridge was an attempt by River Fields (a NIMBY group) to make the project so expensive that it wouldn't be done.
I'll be cursing them, along with my congressman who was on their board of directors, everytime I pay the toll.

hbelkins

Quote from: ljwestmcsd on October 18, 2012, 12:16:24 AM
The downtown bridge was an attempt by River Fields (a NIMBY group) to make the project so expensive that it wouldn't be done.
I'll be cursing them, along with my congressman who was on their board of directors, everytime I pay the toll.

Your congressman is worthless. I had some issues with Anne Northup, but she's infinitely preferable to the joke that is John Yarmuth. Louisville is running out of time to replace Yarmuth. I know there's no credible opponent for him this time. If he's not defeated in two years, he's probably set for as long as he wants to be in that position. After that, the best hope for getting him out of public service is if he runs for statewide office. No way could he be elected to a statewide position like senator or governor.

I still think the downtown bridge is a huge waste of money. Build the East End Bridge, ban through trucks inside the Watterson, and be happy.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 17, 2012, 05:37:17 PM
TOLLROADSnews: Kentucky & Indiana finalize details of agreement on responsibility split for Ohio River bridges
QuoteKentucky's first venture into electronic tolling

Tolling is to be all-electronic. It will be Kentucky's first venture into electronic tolling and it will join the E-ZPass Group. Indiana is already part of E-ZPass.

With luck, Kentucky's E-ZPass will be fee-free. Then I can trade in my West Virginia E-ZPass for one from my home state. Funny thing is that I would use it more out-of-state than I would in Kentucky.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2012, 11:05:24 AM
Your congressman is worthless.

that's either a bug of American government in general, or a feature.  tough to tell.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ShawnP

Well the bridges are gonna happen.

What would be good names.

East End is Indiana's so why Gus Grissom ?

Downtown is Kentucky so yes Dakota Meyer.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr_Northside

Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2012, 08:44:16 AM
How about "I-65 Bridge"?

I don't know of any politician or veteran named "I-65".... so I wouldn't bet any money on that.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

hbelkins

My guess is they'll become the Kennedy Bridges instead of the Kennedy Bridge, as we have now.

ShawnP

I would also favor John Calipari Memorial Bridge.

Yes, that would rattle some birdie cages.

digitalphiltv

As I recall, Florida named a bridge for one of its DOT project managers who died of cancer before the bridge could be finished. (David Bogan Escambia Bay Bridge on I-10 -- FL SR-8 -- a FEMA funded emergency repair following Hurricane Ivan.). It would certainly be nice to name a construction project for one of the employees working on the project, instead of the idiot politicians running the jurisdiction.

hbelkins

Quote from: phildmills on October 29, 2012, 08:43:27 PM
As I recall, Florida named a bridge for one of its DOT project managers who died of cancer before the bridge could be finished. (David Bogan Escambia Bay Bridge on I-10 -- FL SR-8 -- a FEMA funded emergency repair following Hurricane Ivan.). It would certainly be nice to name a construction project for one of the employees working on the project, instead of the idiot politicians running the jurisdiction.

The I-64 bridges crossing the Big Sandy River between Kentucky and West Virginia were rebuilt a few years ago. A couple of the workers on the project were killed in a workplace accident. The bridges have been named for them and West Virginia has erected signage on both sides of the river to denote such.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.