News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I-35 South, somewhere between Ottawa and Emporia, Kansas
Shot with my cell phone on Feb. 20, 2012
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Passing down the center line between two trucks – on the bypass around Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas.
Taken during March 2010 (I was actually the driver, I think Sara Patterson took the picture).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Long and straight through the Chihuahuan Desert.
Carretera Federal 40 eastbound, between La Paila and Saltillo, Coahuila – March 2009.

Male pronouns, please.

Morriswa

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2012, 09:55:53 PM

What in the world were you doing driving down the center of the road, between two semis, no less?

kphoger

A2 highways (called 'supercarreteras' in common parlance) are designed for this.  They have wide paved shoulders, and the shoulder line is a broken white line.  They are commonly constructed where traffic volume is too heavy for a simple two-laner but funds aren't available for a four-lane highway.  Some drivers have even developed the habit of riding the shoulder nonstop, I guess so they don't have to watch their mirrors.

If I'm behind a slow-moving vehicle (as in the picture), here's the practice:  I crowd the center line and put my left blinker on; the truck in front of me slides over and straddles the shoulder line; I creep over the center line; any oncoming vehicles also slide over and straddle their shoulder line; and I just shoot down the middle.

When it's just passenger cars it's only a little bit nerve-shaking.  When it's 18-wheelers on either side of you, you get a little more nervous.  This was Saras first taste of Mexican-style passing.

Edit:  FYI, A2 highways are 7 meters from shoulder line to shoulder line, and have shoulders of 2.5 meters each.  That's a total width of 39 feet 4½ inches.  By comparison, the standard minimum width for one side of an Interstate highway in the U.S. is 38 feet of pavement (4-ft left shoulder, 12-foot lane, 12-foot lane, 10-foot right shoulder).  So there's plenty of room for three vehicles to pass by each other.  It still makes for a pretty cool picture, though, huh?
Male pronouns, please.

Morriswa

kphoger,
That is nuts!  We don't do that in America (at least, not the law-abiding citizens, anyway!).  I don't know if I could get used to that.  I'd probably have an accident.

blawp

Why not a slightly narrower shoulder and a 10 ft wide median?

kphoger

Quote from: Morriswa on April 29, 2012, 05:17:49 PM
kphoger,
That is nuts!  We don't do that in America (at least, not the law-abiding citizens, anyway!).

Not true.  This is a somewhat common practice on Texas back roads.  In fact, I had my first experience with this type of driving on Texas SR 158 between Goldsmith and Gardendale back in the 1990s.  We were obviously tourists, with bikes on top of the car, just coming out of Goldsmith (read: trying to get back up to highway speed).  The truck in front of us straddled the shoulder, then three oncoming trucks straddled their shoulder, and I was able to pass down the middle.  Yes, on a U.S. road.  Let me tell you, it doesn't take long to get used to people moving out of your way!

Quote from: blawp on April 29, 2012, 07:53:05 PM
Why not a slightly narrower shoulder and a 10 ft wide median?

Would that make any real difference in traffic capacity?  As it is, the shoulder can still be used for its two primary purposes:  as a storage area for breakdowns (or roadkill), and as a buffer between traffic and the edge of the pavement.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2012, 08:37:59 AM
Not true.  This is a somewhat common practice on Texas back roads.  In fact, I had my first experience with this type of driving on Texas SR 158 between Goldsmith and Gardendale back in the 1990s.  We were obviously tourists, with bikes on top of the car, just coming out of Goldsmith (read: trying to get back up to highway speed).  The truck in front of us straddled the shoulder, then three oncoming trucks straddled their shoulder, and I was able to pass down the middle.  Yes, on a U.S. road.  Let me tell you, it doesn't take long to get used to people moving out of your way!

I have never seen this behavior intentionally in the US.  Just once in (IIRC) Oklahoma when someone misjudged a distance towards an oncoming vehicle during a suicide pass.  Everyone reacted instinctively, and there were much brake lights and at one point all three cars were just about dead stopped side by side. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 28, 2012, 11:24:09 AM

Taken at a Chevron station at the intersection of CA-58 and US-395. This is also the closest I've ever gone up to a BGS.

I hope you stopped by the antique store on the northwest side of the junction!  lots of great signs there.  ask to go in the warehouse!

jake@aaroads.com

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of mine that I think are interesting views:

The above are of Ontario's Hwy 403 approaching Mississauga's city centre from both directions

This one is Ontario's Hwy 427 before it was reconstructed to modern standards.

The four-level Hwy 427/407 interchange in Western Vaughan.

In Metro Detroit, this is the lodge freeway approaching the Golden Triangle in Southfield.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

agentsteel53

that night shot is awesome! 

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 30, 2012, 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2012, 08:37:59 AM

I have never seen this behavior intentionally in the US.  Just once in (IIRC) Oklahoma when someone misjudged a distance towards an oncoming vehicle during a suicide pass.  Everyone reacted instinctively, and there were much brake lights and at one point all three cars were just about dead stopped side by side. 

Yes, I've been told by a couple of people who grew up in Texas that folks often do it on the FM roads; the only other time I've seen it done stateside was when a trucker rode the shoulder on 54/400 somewhere east of Wichita to let me know it was OK to pass him (no oncoming traffic, though).

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 30, 2012, 12:21:50 PM
that night shot is awesome! 

Agreed.  I also like the other one, right below it; the curve of the highway is well placed in the photo.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Agreed, the night shot is great!

Also, a capture of a rare bird, the Isuzu VehiCross in the last shot (yellow/gray).

AsphaltPlanet

Thanks guys!

I think I owe some compliments to the other contributors on this thread.

Long exposure night photography is a bit of a hobby of mine.  I shot this one last year of the Gardiner Expressway on approach to Downtown Toronto:
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

CentralCAroadgeek

Nice pictures AsphaltPlanet! Nice to see what vistas Canadian highways can offer. I especially like your night ones. But I have a question about the last one. Does Canada use orange for construction signs? I'm asking this because that "Construction Zone Ends" sign isn't orange.

Here's more of mine:
The Nevada state line sign in South Lake Tahoe. It also shows the elevation of Lake Tahoe.

A view of the I-5/I-210 interchange in the San Fernando Valley.

I-5 north curves in Sacramento before downtown.

I-680 north in San Jose.

A view of downtown San Jose from I-280 east, toward Highway 101.

Looking west toward the 280/880/17 interchange on I-280 north.

Before the picture above, this is taken on I-280 north. This shows the flyover ramp to Southwest Expressway.

The view after entering I-280 north from US-101 north.

A view of hills in South San Jose along Highway 101, this being northbound.

Highway 101 north in south Santa Clara County.

Highway 101 descending in San Benito County after the 152 interchange and before the 129 exit.

The view of the eucalyptus forest along 101 in San Benito County.

And, saving the best for last,
Taken on the onramp from I-880 south to I-280 south. This overlooks I-280 north.

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 05, 2012, 04:01:15 PM

The view of the eucalyptus forest along 101 in San Benito County.

Wow, that looks like a beautiful drive.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

xcellntbuy

Absolutely fantastic photos! :clap:

Jim

I've been meaning to post some of my own favorites.  Starting with the Alaska Highway.  All from June 2001.

Northbound around Mile 200 in BC.

Northbound, north of Watson Lake.

Nisultin Bay Bridge.

Southbound between Sheep Mountain and Haines Junction.

Northbound approaching Delta Junction.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 05, 2012, 04:01:15 PM
Nice pictures AsphaltPlanet! Nice to see what vistas Canadian highways can offer. I especially like your night ones. But I have a question about the last one. Does Canada use orange for construction signs? I'm asking this because that "Construction Zone Ends" sign isn't orange.

Construction signs in general are orange in Canada. In fact both Ontario and Quebec sometimes stripe temporary lane markings in orange in construction zones. The white construction zone signage is somewhat of an anomaly unique to Ontario. (Though I am sure other provinces have other anomolies that I am not aware of).

formulanone

Two from County Road N1 in Los Angeles County, California. (2012)

kphoger

Not the best quality, since I shot it with my cell phone.
Under the canal route, 09-19-2011.
Specifically, it's where the 3rd Street canal spills out under the highway.
Male pronouns, please.

CentralCAroadgeek

A typical San Francisco street corner.

Highway 101 ascending in Marin County just after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.

Reflective signs in action on I-5 south just after the East LA Interchange. And no photo editing was used.

What just has to be my favorite vista in the Monterey Peninsula. Here, Highway 1 is descending from the Del Monte Forest just north of Carmel.

A speed limit 10 sign taken on the parking lot for Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey.

Morriswa

Here are some more that I have taken:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GA383LeavingFortGordon.JPG (GA SR 383, leaving Fort Gordon).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GA388EndGrovetown.JPG (GA SR 388's western terminus in Grovetown).

I don't know how to add the pictures directly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.