News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Remove the North Half of the KC Downtown Loop?

Started by Revive 755, May 05, 2016, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Weasel

It's a pretty laughable excuse for a freeway, and it's a God-awful routing for northbound I-35 traffic, so the world won't be missing much if it's gone.  I presume I-35 and I-70 would use the southern portion of the loop instead, which, unfortunately, isn't much better, but, once the South Lawrence Trafficway is completed, it will be easy for long-distance traffic to bypass Downtown Kansas City from any direction.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

froggie

I could see this being potentially feasible.  I may draw something up that includes it and a few other concepts from that downtown plan:

- Deck over I-670 (would probably need to be widened or improved if the North Loop is taken out).

- Provide a connection between I-29/35 and the Heart of America Bridge.

- Tie US 169 more directly into the west leg of the downtown loop, or possibly relocate that closer to the railroad.

- A realigned I-35 south of downtown, closer to the railroads to the west.

Darkchylde

I'd love to know where all the traffic's supposed to go if they do get rid of the northern leg of the Downtown Loop. There's no room to add capacity to the southern leg of the loop (I-670) and nowhere else near the city center to route a through east-west Interstate. Both the northern and southern legs are packed full of cars during a good bit of the day as it is.

The Ghostbuster

How likely is it that the North Half of the Downtown Loop will be removed in the future?

NE2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 06, 2016, 06:37:11 PM
How likely is it that the North Half of the Downtown Loop will be removed in the future?
More likely than you ceasing to ask dumb questions.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mvak36

Quote from: Darkchylde on May 06, 2016, 06:23:56 PM
I'd love to know where all the traffic's supposed to go if they do get rid of the northern leg of the Downtown Loop. There's no room to add capacity to the southern leg of the loop (I-670) and nowhere else near the city center to route a through east-west Interstate. Both the northern and southern legs are packed full of cars during a good bit of the day as it is.

This.

They would have to route both 35 and 70 through the southern loop and there's no room to expand 670 like Darkchylde said. And, if it hasn't been said enough already, MODOT doesn't have any money to do this project. I really hope this gets shut down.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Ned Weasel

Quote from: mvak36 on May 06, 2016, 11:54:11 PM

This.

They would have to route both 35 and 70 through the southern loop and there's no room to expand 670 like Darkchylde said. And, if it hasn't been said enough already, MODOT doesn't have any money to do this project. I really hope this gets shut down.

If there's too much downtown traffic after the freeway removal, then perhaps congestion pricing would be a better alternative than adding freeway capacity.  Also, have you considered the possibility that the project could pay for itself in reduced maintenance costs once all those overpasses are gone?

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

mvak36

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 07, 2016, 03:32:00 AM

If there's too much downtown traffic after the freeway removal, then perhaps congestion pricing would be a better alternative than adding freeway capacity.  Also, have you considered the possibility that the project could pay for itself in reduced maintenance costs once all those overpasses are gone?

I agree on the overpass maintenance costs, but I'm not sure if they will be able to put in toll lanes (I assume that's what you meant by congestion pricing). They've been trying on and off over the years to put tolls on 70.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

I took a quick look at the situation.  Contrary to some claims, I think it would be possible to do something similar to 70/71 in Columbus, OH along the southern leg.  Retaining walls would likely be needed, but those retaining walls could also serve as the anchor for the proposed/suggested freeway lid.  Another factor in favor of widening the southern leg is that an extra-wide left shoulder already exists in the eastbound direction.  The only potential pinch point would be where the AT&T building is on Oak St.

Would it be expensive?  Yes.  Would it be painful during construction?  Probably.  But that doesn't mean it isn't technically feasible.  I do believe it is.

Gnutella

Does this mean that there won't be EXITS 2A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-J-K-L-M-N-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y anymore? :-(

ARMOURERERIC

I always wondered what would happen if someone took a small radius downtown urban loop and made it into a 6-8 Lane one direction counter clockwise fully access controlled loop.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 29, 2016, 11:03:23 PM
I always wondered what would happen if someone took a small radius downtown urban loop and made it into a 6-8 Lane one direction counter clockwise fully access controlled loop.

I've actually thought that would be a good idea for the Downtown Kansas City freeway loop, but you'd have to redo a ton of the ramps.  Removing the worst one or two segments of the loop seems more economically feasible.

compdude787

That would actually be really interesting to see! Basically it would be like a giant roundabout. :)

Henry

You know, I'm all for that idea, however ambitious it sounds.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ARMOURERERIC

FWIW, about 25 years ago, I found on the shelf of ODU in Norfolk the study report (Parson's-Brinkerhoff?) that laid out the design for the KC inner loop.

mrsman

Quote from: compdude787 on July 30, 2016, 08:08:00 PM

That would actually be really interesting to see! Basically it would be like a giant roundabout. :)

And it might also allow for better separation between express and local traffic on the expressways.  (I.e. separating the traffic wanting to exit onto Downtwn streets vs. traffic that is driving through downtown to interchange between I-29, I-70, I-35, and US 71/I-49.  Of course, if it were to actually happen in KC, you'd need to redo a lot of the existing ramps to accommodate a one-way loop.

Bickendan

There was talk about doing that with I-5 and I-405 in Portland, reserving the bottom decks of the Marquam and Fremont Bridges for local traffic.

silverback1065

How about this, route 70 on the southern leg, and onto 670, remove the northern leg and the rest of 70, connect 169 to be a continuous part of the west leg of the loop.  replace the north leg with an at grade boulevard, with roundabouts instead of signals.  Crazy or feasible?

kphoger

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 20, 2016, 06:40:14 PM
How about this, route 70 on the southern leg, and onto 670, remove the northern leg and the rest of 70, connect 169 to be a continuous part of the west leg of the loop.  replace the north leg with an at grade boulevard, with roundabouts instead of signals.  Crazy or feasible?

But you're still left with this issue (see below).  Changing the numbers doesn't magically make vehicles disappear.

This.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

silverback1065

Quote from: kphoger on September 20, 2016, 06:50:37 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 20, 2016, 06:40:14 PM

But you're still left with this issue (see below).  Changing the numbers doesn't magically make vehicles disappear.

This.

you have a point, just an idea.  It would look a lot like downtown indy's 3 leg inner loop, with west street being the secret 4th leg.  If it were all at grade, you could add more lanes, but it would get dangerous for bikers and peds with it being at grade. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.