News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

xcellntbuy

The brown Palisades Interstate Parkway logo sign has completely faded.

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 22, 2015, 09:08:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2015, 07:10:53 PM
It's still tolled.

So why did they blank out that spot?

Maybe it faded or fell off (they put the logo on top of a white background)? Judging by an old GSV, I'm assuming it faded beyond recognition.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 21, 2015, 11:40:05 AM
Although this is erroneous now, it wasn't when it was installed many years ago. Rounded edges (not standard now) and no bilingualism tell of old standards.

Hwy 2 in this area was turned over to the county on 1 January 1998. It should have a trapezoidal shield, not a King's Hwy crown. This old sign still remains as a relic of the past.

There is an old overhead sign at that traffic circle as well.  The overhead sign pre-dates the updated lane configuration from when the customs house was moved from the island.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.022045,-74.747543,3a,75y,117.31h,86.8t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMWwZarIXqvGOaTp_bZKBKQ!2e0
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cu2010

Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 21, 2015, 11:40:05 AM
Although this is erroneous now, it wasn't when it was installed many years ago. Rounded edges (not standard now) and no bilingualism tell of old standards.

Pretty sure it's gone now...don't recall seeing it last time I was in Cornwall. I'll have to go over soon and check.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

freebrickproductions

Found this on Tennessee Street in downtown Florence, AL today:
Button-copy Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

This I-65 shield on Monroe Street is the last I-65 shield in Huntsville, AL that isn't on I-565 in any way, shape, or form (I count the I-65 shields at the end of Governors Drive to be on I-565 since they are the beginning of the ramps). There used to be some I-65 shields at the intersection of Clinton Avenue and Governors Drive, but they were removed recently.
This sign probably also dates back to the days when Governors Drive was AL 20 as well.
To I-65 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Ian on September 21, 2010, 07:24:03 PM

That evacuation sign has a Conelrad Logo, that's pre-1962. I always thought Conelrad was just for the nuclear apocapylpse since Conelrad stands for Control of Electromagnetic Radiation, plus they taught you how to survive a nuke when they did Conelrad tests, I never knew they used this for hurricanes.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

Quote from: NE2 on April 03, 2015, 11:42:24 AM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on April 03, 2015, 11:28:05 AM
That evacuation sign has a Conelrad Logo, that's pre-1962.
what
I think he's referring to the Civil Defense Logo on the sign.  Never heard it referred to as a Conelrad Logo though.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

iBallasticwolf2

Yes I was referring to civil defense, Conelrad was the first of the civil defence broadcasting services
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

NE2

Yes, and the CD logo was used until 2006...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

freebrickproductions

The Madison County, AL EMA still uses the CD logo on some of their trucks.
And some sirens that were refurbished and then put back up into service also got CD logos.

(They/Them)

roadman

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on April 03, 2015, 01:01:14 PM
Yes I was referring to civil defense, Conelrad was the first of the civil defence broadcasting services
As the saying goes "you learn something new every day."  Thanks for the clarification.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mergingtraffic

What exits are these two off of? Driving through in 2013 I remember button copy signs like that off the exits of I-78.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

briantroutman

Quote from: doofy103 on April 03, 2015, 06:59:10 PM

What exits are these two off of? Driving through in 2013 I remember button copy signs like that off the exits of I-78.

Exit 23 - Shartlesville

SidS1045

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on April 03, 2015, 01:01:14 PM

It was *the* first emergency broadcasting service, willed into existence by President Eisenhower.  In the then-new nuclear age (the "Cold War"), Ike realized he would need a way to address the entire nation on short notice if bombers carrying nuclear warheads were detected on approach to US territory.  Conelrad mandated that, in a national emergency, most radio stations (AM's only, FM's were not a consideration back then) would go off the air, and those few which remained on the air would change frequency to either 640 or 1240 kHz.  The theory was that this would confuse the direction finding capabilities of Soviet bombers.  Most AM radios produced in the 1950's and 1960's had two small triangles on the tuning dial, at 640 and 1240, so the listener could switch to a Conelrad station on a moment's notice.

The two logos were different.  The Conelrad logo incorporated the Civil Defense logo, with a banner across it containing the Conelrad name.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SignGeek101

I'd like to nominate this.

This sign is at least 26 years old, but probably older. Notice the '4' in '400' is cut short a little on the left, Ontario did this until the late 80's.
The sign is rounded, which, again, was stopped many years ago (signs are square now).
The distances are a little suspicious. It's actually 1.5 km to the 400 on ramp (the gore point) and 3.1 km to Weston Road's gore point, indicating this sign could have been here since the early 70's.  :-o

http://goo.gl/maps/NCTyK

StogieGuy7

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 09, 2015, 10:07:09 PM

This sign is at least 26 years old, but probably older. Notice the '4' in '400' is cut short a little on the left, Ontario did this until the late 80's.
The sign is rounded, which, again, was stopped many years ago (signs are square now).
The distances are a little suspicious. It's actually 1.5 km to the 400 on ramp (the gore point) and 3.1 km to Weston Road's gore point, indicating this sign could have been here since the early 70's.  :-o

I remember my first journey through Ontario in 1987 and all of the directional signs on their freeways were white on blue like that.  I remember thinking that the signage looked so cool, almost like being in Europe, yet only a few miles from Buffalo or Detroit!  During the 1990s, they were gradually changed to the white on green standard that those of us in the USA are accustomed to seeing. 

Yes, it's at least 26 years old and likely over 30 - a definite candidate for the "best" thread!

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2015, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 09, 2015, 10:07:09 PM

I remember my first journey through Ontario in 1987 and all of the directional signs on their freeways were white on blue like that.  I remember thinking that the signage looked so cool, almost like being in Europe, yet only a few miles from Buffalo or Detroit!  During the 1990s, they were gradually changed to the white on green standard that those of us in the USA are accustomed to seeing. 

Yes, it's at least 26 years old and likely over 30 - a definite candidate for the "best" thread!

I think this sign was erected when Ontario (and Canada) first went metric, so it is likely over 30 years old.  Surprisingly, this sign was one of very few that was not replaced this spring during an overhead sign support replacement project that has been underway during the past couple of years within the GTA.  Very few of the old style aluminum tapered leg sign supports remain standing.

Before this spring, there was this sign:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_360_east_C_May14_24x16.jpg

as well as this sign for the 404:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_376_west_C_Sep13_24x16.jpg

The sign in advance of the 404 was replaced this spring.  (I took a picture, but can't find the memory card right now).
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2015, 03:28:30 PM
During the 1990s, they were gradually changed to the white on green standard that those of us in the USA are accustomed to seeing. 

Green signs were always used in Ontario (at least since the 60's). The blue signs are in place over the collector (local) lanes, the green over the express to avert driver confusion about which sign affected whom.

http://goo.gl/maps/jZafs

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 11, 2015, 10:34:17 PM
I think this sign was erected when Ontario (and Canada) first went metric, so it is likely over 30 years old.  Surprisingly, this sign was one of very few that was not replaced this spring during an overhead sign support replacement project that has been underway during the past couple of years within the GTA.  Very few of the old style aluminum tapered leg sign supports remain standing.

This sign for the 404:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_376_west_C_Sep13_24x16.jpg

The sign in advance of the 404 was replaced this spring.  (I took a picture, but can't find the memory card right now).

Did they replace the gantry as well?

AsphaltPlanet

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.