News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Truck driver charged in deadly crash injuring Tracy Morgan on NJ Turnpike

Started by bing101, June 07, 2014, 05:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Zeffy

The truck driver is from Georgia apparently. The crash looked grizzly as hell and I do not understand how one could cause a crash like that... but... well...

Anyway, hope Tracy Morgan can pull through. As of now he's still in critical condition.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cpzilliacus

This story contains an image of the tractor pulling the Wal-Mart trailer that was involved.

N.Y. Times: Tracy Morgan Critically Hurt in New Jersey Car Crash

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Zeffy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 08, 2014, 11:34:00 PM
This story contains an image of the tractor pulling the Wal-Mart trailer that was involved.

QuoteThe preliminary investigation by the state police found that Mr. Roper, who was traveling north in the center lane of the highway, failed to observe slow-moving traffic ahead of him, Sergeant Williams said. Mr. Roper noticed the traffic at the last minute and tried to swerve, but he still struck the van.

How in the world do you FAIL to notice slow moving traffic ahead of you?  :banghead:

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

aerules

SteveG1988

Quote from: Zeffy on June 09, 2014, 12:14:08 AM

QuoteThe preliminary investigation by the state police found that Mr. Roper, who was traveling north in the center lane of the highway, failed to observe slow-moving traffic ahead of him, Sergeant Williams said. Mr. Roper noticed the traffic at the last minute and tried to swerve, but he still struck the van.

How in the world do you FAIL to notice slow moving traffic ahead of you?  :banghead:

Highway hypnosis, he was probably on the road for several hours prior to getting onto the turnpike, or tunnel vision. He got snapped out of it at the last second...but it was too late.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on June 09, 2014, 12:14:08 AM

When you're not watching the traffic in front of you...ie: cell phone use, dozing off, reading a book/magazine/newspaper, etc.

Steve D

This is the first I've ever heard the Turnpike called "The Black Dragon" - they are making our beloved road out to be so sinister...

http://news.yahoo.com/tracy-morgan-entourage-latest-victims-black-dragon-214304350--abc-news-topstories.html

roadman65

Was this driver being charged the one in the Wal Mart truck?  I am asking cause the Wal Mart Truck is one of the vehicles you see photographed in the pictures covering the crash.  I know it was a total of six altogether that were the accident itself.  It would be strange shopping in Wal Mart or Sam's now knowing one of their employees was to blame for this tragedy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2014, 10:56:00 AM
Was this driver being charged the one in the Wal Mart truck?  I am asking cause the Wal Mart Truck is one of the vehicles you see photographed in the pictures covering the crash.  I know it was a total of six altogether that were the accident itself.  It would be strange shopping in Wal Mart or Sam's now knowing one of their employees was to blame for this tragedy.

Walmart has already released a statement saying that their truck drivers are taught better than this, and Walmart will financially support all the victims in any way possible.

SidS1045

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 09, 2014, 06:38:27 AM
When you're not watching the traffic in front of you...ie:...dozing off...

Authorities are now saying he had been awake for more than 24 hours without rest, a blatant violation of federal rules on long-haul trucking.

http://7online.com/entertainment/trucker-in-tracy-morgan-crash-hadnt-slept-officials-say/103246/
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

leroys73

Re: 24 hrs no sleep.  I have been told by reliable source Wal Mart will have a driver unload "off the clock" thus not in log as work then expect driver to drive where ever they are suppose to drive next.  If the driver bitches about it they are fired on the spot.  If true don't know how they get away with it but Wal Mart is a power house with a load of attorneys and political dollars at work.  I guess it will all shake out. 

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Pete from Boston

Quote from: leroys73 on June 09, 2014, 03:47:05 PM
Re: 24 hrs no sleep.  I have been told by reliable source Wal Mart will have a driver unload "off the clock" thus not in log as work then expect driver to drive where ever they are suppose to drive next.  If the driver bitches about it they are fired on the spot.  If true don't know how they get away with it but Wal Mart is a power house with a load of attorneys and political dollars at work.  I guess it will all shake out.

My first reaction was that Walmart coming out against this is a PR move to distract from the fact that their truckers cave to the pressures they and every other company put on their drivers. 

SteveG1988

Quote from: Zeffy on June 09, 2014, 11:07:35 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2014, 10:56:00 AM

Walmart has already released a statement saying that their truck drivers are taught better than this, and Walmart will financially support all the victims in any way possible.

I concur, the instructors at my school did talk to us about this accident. According to one of them you need at least 2 to 3 years of experience before going to work for Walmart, plus a blemish free record. The instructor said this driver may never drive a vehicle again due to it potentially being vehicular manslaughter, his CDL is toast regardless.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

While a lot of people are focusing on this accident due to Walmart and a celebrity being involved, it's well known that many if not most companies and drivers do what they can to skirt the rules. 

It's also interesting to see all the comments that people say this accident is being followed so closely by the NTSB because a celebrity was involved...but I bet those same people can't name the person that was killed in the accident, which shows they are only concerned about this accident because of Walmart and a celebrity being involved!

roadman65

I often agree about pressure being put on workers these days.  I am not sure with how Wal Mart treats their employees, but if it like many where micro managing takes place you can bet there is pressure there.

I am betting that Wal Mart is a big pressure as the MO fits them.  Cameras all over the store is usually a big temptation for micro managing.  Even though that is for shop lifting it still can be used for checking for goof offs and gold bricks as well as to monitor efficiency of each worker and has been even in places I used to work.

UPS and Fed Ex are ones too without cameras as they put strong deadlines on drivers despite roads are not always clear.  There second grad arithmetic plays a part as Time times Rate equals distance and the big wigs look at that and base delivery times on that.  That is why so many Fed Ex and UPS run red lights so much while driving like idiots!

Sheryl Crowe

massroadpatriot

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2014, 04:23:25 PM
I often agree about pressure being put on workers these days.  I am not sure with how Wal Mart treats their employees, but if it like many where micro managing takes place you can bet there is pressure there.

I am betting that Wal Mart is a big pressure as the MO fits them.  Cameras all over the store is usually a big temptation for micro managing.  Even though that is for shop lifting it still can be used for checking for goof offs and gold bricks as well as to monitor efficiency of each worker and has been even in places I used to work.

UPS and Fed Ex are ones too without cameras as they put strong deadlines on drivers despite roads are not always clear.  There second grad arithmetic plays a part as Time times Rate equals distance and the big wigs look at that and base delivery times on that.  That is why so many Fed Ex and UPS run red lights so much while driving like idiots!

I'm glad that someone else said it. Wal-Mart is a miserable place to work. My ex used to work there, and the stories that she told me convinced me that I should never shop there again.

I saw Tracy back in 2006 in Worcester, with Jim Norton, Louie C.K. Bob Saget, and Patrice O'Neal. He wasn't the funniest that night out of everyone on that bill, but it's still sad, because I love "the Tracy Morgan Show." That's one of those shows that should have gone on a lot longer.

Back to the highway topic at hand, the Turnpike is just a poorly designed highway. That's my $0.02.

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 09, 2014, 04:20:11 PM
While a lot of people are focusing on this accident due to Walmart and a celebrity being involved, it's well known that many if not most companies and drivers do what they can to skirt the rules. 

It's also interesting to see all the comments that people say this accident is being followed so closely by the NTSB because a celebrity was involved...but I bet those same people can't name the person that was killed in the accident, which shows they are only concerned about this accident because of Walmart and a celebrity being involved!
If the accident is being investigated by the NTSB, they are being fairly quiet about it.  I usually get notifications from the NTSB when they send a Go Team in response to a highway crash, as well as any initial media briefings, but I haven't heard anything from them on this one yet.

And, I suspect the NTSB's principal interest in this crash is because the initial evidence suggests that fatigue on the part of the Wal-Mart driver may have been a key factor.  Fatigue issues with commercial drivers are one of the NTSB's current "hot button" issues right now.

As for WalMart, you have to wonder about the logic behind a shipping strategy whereby they send their goods from Georgia to stores in the Northeast over the road one tractor trailer load at a time.  IMO, it would seem to be far more sensible to put those trailers on rail for most of the trip, like UPS does.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman on June 09, 2014, 05:30:24 PM
As for WalMart, you have to wonder about the logic behind a shipping strategy whereby they send their goods from Georgia to stores in the Northeast over the road one tractor trailer load at a time.  IMO, it would seem to be far more sensible to put those trailers on rail for most of the trip, like UPS does.

Much as I dislike Walmart, the company didn't become the world's largest retailer by being inept. And both boosters and critics seem to agree that Walmart's key advantage over competitors like Kmart has been in the company's ninja-like mastery of logistics. I doubt they've left any stone unturned and if they could make 1/3 of an extra cent by shipping shaving cream by rail, they absolutely would.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: massroadpatriot on June 09, 2014, 05:13:41 PM
Back to the highway topic at hand, the Turnpike is just a poorly designed highway. That's my $0.02.

I'll pay a lot more to understand your opinion regarding the Turnpike being a poorly designed highway.  While it's not America's first super highway or first toll road, a lot of what you see on the Turnpike became or had a significant effect on becoming the standard for today's interstates, including shoulder width, lane width, ramp radius, sight lines, maximum grade, etc.  Last year, 9 people total died in accidents on the highway: 1 on motorcycle, 3 pedestrians, 4 in vehicles but not wearing seatbelts, and 1 in a vehicle and wearing a seatbelt.  While many fear for their lives on that road, it's actually one of the safest highways in the country: The death rate is about as close to 0 as one would get for such a busy road. This accident really had nothing to do with the road itself; it had to do with congestion and drowsiness, which could occur on any road anywhere at any time.

SidS1045

The person killed was also a celebrity, maybe not as well known as Tracy Morgan, but still fairly well known...James McNair, AKA Jimmy Mac.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman65

Quote from: massroadpatriot on June 09, 2014, 05:13:41 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2014, 04:23:25 PM

I'm glad that someone else said it. Wal-Mart is a miserable place to work. My ex used to work there, and the stories that she told me convinced me that I should never shop there again.

I saw Tracy back in 2006 in Worcester, with Jim Norton, Louie C.K. Bob Saget, and Patrice O'Neal. He wasn't the funniest that night out of everyone on that bill, but it's still sad, because I love "the Tracy Morgan Show." That's one of those shows that should have gone on a lot longer.

I have heard that too first hand from an employee who works in one of the many Orlando area stores.  He said the pay stinks and some other stuff I cannot remember.  Maybe that is why they chose the company I used to work for to wash their uniforms and provide their floor mats and aprons, because they both operate the same in putting pressure on the employees for the most profit.  I would not surprise me if the retail giant is cutting corners by forcing their drivers to go 1100 miles in 20 hours or less.

Sheryl Crowe

leroys73

a lot of people are focusing on this accident due to Walmart and a celebrity being involved
Last Thanksgiving my brother-in-law's parents were killed in a rear end crash on the Ohio Turnpike by a wild young driver high on drugs running over 100 in which their car caught on fire and they could not get out.  Except locally, nothing was heard of it and then only on the internet with not much there.  It was not a police chase as he blew by the police so fast they could not pursue him.  Had to radio ahead and by then it was too late. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Alps

The single most unsafe thing about the Turnpike is the congestion at 6-8A, which is about to go away. It's truly sad that there was one more casualty from that stretch, but we can all hope that is the last one. Once the widened highway opens, the only deaths I would expect to see are drunks and druggies going way too fast.

amroad17

Quote from: leroys73 on June 09, 2014, 09:19:09 PM
a lot of people are focusing on this accident due to Walmart and a celebrity being involved
Last Thanksgiving my brother-in-law's parents were killed in a rear end crash on the Ohio Turnpike by a wild young driver high on drugs running over 100 in which their car caught on fire and they could not get out.  Except locally, nothing was heard of it and then only on the internet with not much there.  It was not a police chase as he blew by the police so fast they could not pursue him.  Had to radio ahead and by then it was too late.
I did read about this shortly after this happened and I am sorry for your loss.  I also saw the police video of this and there was no way they were going to catch him as, if I remember, he was going nearly 130 mph.

If Wal-Mart had union drivers, there would be no way they would be travelling all those miles and all those hours.  I was an independent contractor and used to drive a 6-wheeler (I hate the term "box truck") all across the country.  Yes, there are times when my logbook would be "fudged", but maybe by two hours at the most.  There is no way I would, or could, drive 20 or more hours to bring supplies somewhere.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.