News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Casey Kasem dead at 82

Started by golden eagle, June 16, 2014, 01:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

roadman65

All I can say is Zoinks.  As Casey was a Voice Over in the cartoon world as Shaggy on Scooby Doo in addition to his American Top 40 countdown show syndicated for decades.

Also his work is Robin in the cartoon version of Batman and Alex in Josie and The Pussycats.  I believe he even did the Ford commercials for a while, but am not sure, however, he did show announcements for NBC during closing sequences when networks use to have them ending all programs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

amroad17

This man was an American institution.  There were many weekends I would listen to American Top 40 Countdown throughout the 1970's and 1980's.  I would even listen to it when a specific day was replayed on my Sirius XM this past year on XM 7--the 70's station.

It is a shame how his final days were handled, with the infighting among the family members.

What I will remember is his legendary voice announcing the hits of the time, his cartoon voiceovers, his "Long Distance Dedications", and his most famous saying ever: "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars."

R.I.P. Casey! :-(
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

spooky

It seems fitting that news of his passing came on a Sunday morning, since I spent so many Sunday mornings listening to him on American Top 40 during my formative years. RIP Casey, and as always - keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.

texaskdog

I listened to that show every week 1978-1986 and wrote every song down.  Great childhood memories.

roadman65

I remember his shows on radio when there was a 66 WNBC in NYC who syndicated his program in that particular market.  It now brings back memories of the day, when WNBC was playing music on AM Radio.  Plus it was that station that made stars out of Imus and Howard Stern as both had their shows on that station on weekdays.  Casey was on Sundays always.

I also remember how narrow minded we were in my class back in the 80's as we all had to listen to Classic Rock back then.  Any top 40, Disco, R & B, or anything else you would get picked on if you admitted you liked at all, especially the Bee Gees!  Yes the memories of him brought back the times.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Sirrius Sirius/XM Channel 7 (70s on 7) often does rebroadcasts of the old American Top 40 shows and they will likely continue do so.  Last night, it was a Casey Kasem/AT40 tribute on the station.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

spooky

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 16, 2014, 12:15:21 PM
Sirrius/XM Channel 7 (70s on 7) often does rebroadcasts of the old American Top 40 shows and they will likely continue do so.  Last night, it was a Casey Kasem/AT40 tribute on the station.

I wish Sirius would do his '80s rebroadcasts on the '80s channel.

roadman65

Depends on who owns the rights.  Right now CBS who owns Sunny FM does reruns of his classic countdowns in Orlando as part of their retro 80s stuff.  It might be that scenario.

Sheryl Crowe

getemngo

I'm more familiar with his voiceover work, but I started listening to AT40 on the car ride home from church around 2001 or 2002. I wasn't looking forward to Ryan Seacrest replacing him in 2004, but when that day came, the local station started broadcasting... American Top 20 with Casey Kasem instead! Such was his influence that the station would rather switch shows than switch hosts.  :nod:
~ Sam from Michigan

Mr. Matté

Quote from: spooky on June 16, 2014, 07:40:40 AM
It seems fitting that news of his passing came on a Sunday morning, since I spent so many Sunday mornings listening to him on American Top 40 during my formative years.

It would be more fitting if his show aired this Sunday morning and every Sunday morning at 2... TWO?!

spooky

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 16, 2014, 01:56:38 PM
It seems fitting that news of his passing came on a Sunday morning, since I spent so many Sunday mornings listening to him on American Top 40 during my formative years.

It would be more fitting if his show aired this Sunday morning and every Sunday morning at 2... TWO?!

ponderous, man.

bing101

US71

Not unexpected, sadly. :(

MB886

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ARMOURERERIC

FM 105.3 in San Diego "The Walrus" rebroadcasts AT40 of the 70's remastered on Sunday mornings at 7AM

cpzilliacus

Casey Kasem's American Top 40 was carried (I think from inception in 1970) on WPGC AM and FM in the Washington, D.C./Maryland/Virginia market, and it quickly caught on, airing frm 9 AM to 12 Noon on Sundays.

I was not a loyal listener, but I did still listen to it frequently.

Kasem had a great voice for radio (IMO, much better than talkers like Larry King and Limbaugh).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

I used to love listening to his show every weekend as a teenager growing up in the Windy City. RIP Casey :(
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

robbones

He was one of a kind.  Can say the same to Dick Clark and Andy Griffith.   Who are some other one of a kinds yall grew up with?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on June 16, 2014, 02:03:56 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 16, 2014, 01:56:38 PM

ponderous, man.

They do this to him every time.

Quote from: roadman65 on June 16, 2014, 08:20:30 AM
I remember his shows on radio when there was a 66 WNBC in NYC who syndicated his program in that particular market.  It now brings back memories of the day, when WNBC was playing music on AM Radio.  Plus it was that station that made stars out of Imus and Howard Stern as both had their shows on that station on weekdays.  Casey was on Sundays always.

It was a wild station to the end.  I remember well WNBC's last day, after which the new first-of-its-kind all-sports station WFAN moved down the dial from 1050.

QuoteI also remember how narrow minded we were in my class back in the 80's as we all had to listen to Classic Rock back then.  Any top 40, Disco, R & B, or anything else you would get picked on if you admitted you liked at all, especially the Bee Gees!  Yes the memories of him brought back the times.

It was not until the late 80s, IIRC, that the marketing concept "classic rock" came about.  Prior to that it was just "rock," but rock had splintered so many ways that it was hard to target the various markets without categorizing them.  Contrast this with "alternative," an already-broad category that the marketers blew out in the early 90s to include all manner of crap that never would have fallen under that banner a couple of years earlier.

Back on topic, Casey's brilliance was being able to deliver copy on all kinds of genres with clarity and (on mic, anyway) respect.  He may have screwed his reputation by the way he treated the folks in the booth, but he was very talented broadcaster, a dying breed.

Brian556

Considering how long this guy had been a DJ, I would have loved to get his opinion/perspective on the quality of music of today vs past times. I have no idea what his opinion would have been on this, but considering what mine is one the matter; think about this:

You started DJ-ing because you loved all the wonderful music that was coming out at the time you started. Then, all of a sudden, music goes down the toilet, and turn into a bunch of awful noise that you can't stand. But, this is the only career you know, and you are stuck playing they awful s*** that passes for music today, and you have to pretend to like it to please you boss and audience. I think it would be a rather unpleasant situation to be in. Being forced to listen to a lot of the "music" made from the 90's-today would be like a form of torture to me.

thenetwork

I used to do a good impression of Casey on my college radio station.  When my "Casey" signed off, he would always say, "Keep your feet off the coffee table and keep reaching for your wallet". 

If you don't have the money or the patience to wait until the weekend to hear the AT40 reruns on Sirius/XM, iheartradio.com has a 24/7 AT40 Channel which goes back & forth between the 70s and the 80s (just put Casey Kasem in the search box).  It's about the only good thing iheartradio's owner, Clear Channel, has ever done for it's listeners,

Although for how much CC has destroyed AM & FM radio in the last 15 years, calling their website/app "I Heart Radio" is a true oxymoron! If Casey Kasem is playing ALL the Top-40 songs on his show, why isn't Clear Channel doing the same on it's Oldies/Classic Hits stations???

bugo

I would have respected him a lot more if he had played real music instead of the pop garbage that made up the lion's share of the music played on his show. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on June 17, 2014, 11:07:37 AM
I would have respected him a lot more if he had played real music instead of the pop garbage that made up the lion's share of the music played on his show.

This kind of respect is an expensive commodity in the music industry.  That is, it pretty much will cost you the chance to earn any money.

I am a radio junkie, and everyday listen to great DJs play shows with creative, deep, and wide-ranging playlists.  But none of them get paid for it.  This is not considered a monetizable way of conducting radio these days.

Whether or not you respected Casey Kasem, his show was specifically about what was popular in a given week.  It was basically like the news. And if he didn't want to do it that way, they'd have just gotten someone else who would.

jeffandnicole

Your parents probably said the same thing about your music tastes as well.

People are very opinionated about their music tastes.  Doesn't matter what it is; everyone elses's music sounds like crap.

It's easy to find people that agree to your tastes as well. And that group of people will sit around and say how their music was the best music of all time. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 17, 2014, 12:38:22 PM

Your parents probably said the same thing about your music tastes as well.

People are very opinionated about their music tastes.  Doesn't matter what it is; everyone elses's music sounds like crap.

It's easy to find people that agree to your tastes as well. And that group of people will sit around and say how their music was the best music of all time.

There are lots of folks that listen to and appreciate lots of different kinds of music.  However, as much as I hate to let folks off the hook for these things, the stupid way music is marketed more or less urges people to embrace the attitude you describe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.