News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Local Potato Chip/Snack Food Brands

Started by SteveG1988, July 08, 2014, 01:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

In the Philly area we have Herr's, Wise, and Utz.

What are the local brands in your area that you find even at Wal*Mart
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2014, 02:05:12 PM
Herr's, Wise & Utz. :-)

Yup, pretty much the same over here as well. Wait, we all live in New Jersey though, so that's cheating.  :-P
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

briantroutman

Central PA must have more snack food companies per capita than anywhere else on Earth. In addition to Snyder's, Utz, Herr's, and Wise, which have since gone regional or national, there's

Charles (formerly in Mountville, PA, now a zombie brand unconnected to the original company)
Martin's
Gibble's (cooked in lard, in case you care)
Perhaps the worst chips ever: Middleswarth

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

corco

formulanone

Zapp's in the southern half of Alabama (as well as Louisiana), Golden Flake in Florida, Georgia, Alabama.

Tom's in Florida and Georgia...probably seen them elsewhere in the southeast.

North Forks in Long Island are pretty good, too.

Cape Cod Chips can be found in any Target - I think I've seen them everywhere along the Eastern Seaboard, so they're not really "local only" - but bonus points awarded for always having a map on the back of the bag.

Quote from: Brandon on July 08, 2014, 02:36:53 PM
Jay's

Interestingly, you could find Krunchers! at Publix down in South Florida for the past 15-20 years.

On that note, a couple of Publixes in Southeastern Alabama / Northwestern Florida would have Tyrrell's Crisps, which hail from the UK. Not bad, but I can't seem to find them there anymore. Must have been a one-off warehouse deal.

Big John

pctech

Zapps (which started in Louisiana) now owned by Utz I believe.

SP Cook

The only truly local brand is Mister Bee's, made in Parkersburg, which bills itself as "200 miles fresher".  We get both versions of Snyder, the Snyder of Berlin and Snyder's of Hanover, which distinguish themselves under a long ago trademark dispute by always placing the "of whichever small central Pennsylvania town" in their brand names.  Sheetz has Utz.   Cincy brand Mike-Sells shows up here and there, as does Cleveland's Dan-Dee.

kj3400

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 08, 2014, 01:56:53 PM
Herr's, Wise, and Utz.

This, but I'm like 2 hours down I-95 in Baltimore, so.... :P
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

6a

Quote from: pctech on July 08, 2014, 03:53:45 PM
Zapps (which started in Louisiana) now owned by Utz I believe.

I wondered about that, we just started carrying them at my work in Columbus.  Around here the big locals are Conn's, Grippo's (BBQ is great) and Ballreich's. Grippo's and Ballreich's both get delivered to us by guys in beat up box trucks, it's awesome.

Edit: just saw SP Cook's post, I knew I was forgetting one.  Mike-Sells is here too.

on_wisconsin

Old Dutch and Jay's here. Although Herr's is trying to make inroads into this region.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

hbelkins

Mike-Sell's, Grippos, Tom's (grew up on Tom's potato chips and other snacks since the country store less than a mile from home carried them).

I've also seen Route 11 brand potato chips in Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2014, 07:03:42 PM
I've also seen Route 11 brand potato chips in Virginia.

I've seen them in northeast Massachusetts (Cracker Barrel). I'm not sure which part of US 11 the chips are from.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Oscar will know. I think he brought some to Laura at one of the meets they both attended.

bing101

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny_Goose

http://www.snakking.com/grannygoose.aspx

This brand was a Northern California only Snack company

But Snak King (Owners of Granny Goose) is now based in the Los Angeles area.

kurumi

Another from central PA: Middleswarth, especially the sour cream and onion. I can't say they had bad quality control, but the chips sure weren't consistent from bag to bag: sometimes a tart salty flavor with a hint of SC&O, and sometimes thickly coated with the SC&O powder. They were kind of nasty in a fondly remembered way and paired well with cheap beer.

I haven't been back to I-99 country since college, but if that ever happens again, I'm grabbing a 1-ounce bag of those chips.

(CT, as I recall, has Wise and State Line; but there's a lot more of the Lay's conglomerate presence now)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman

Growing up in Lynn (MA) in the 1960s and 1970s, we lived within a stone's throw of not one, but two, local potato chip factories.  Boyds of Lynn, which also had a candy store as well. and Vincents of Salem (MA).

Another local company was Granite State Potato Chips of Salem (NH).  Stopping at Granite State was always a special treat coming back from visits to our grandparents, who lived in Manchester (NH).

Boyds and Vincents both closed up shop in the mid-1980s, but Granite State solidered on until a few years ago.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

getemngo

We have Better Made, which, similar to Faygo and Vernors, is available throughout the whole state but is just sorta "there" unless you live in metro Detroit - then it's a source of pride. Growing up, I didn't even know Better Made was a Michigan product.

There's also Cheeze Kurls in Grand Rapids, who mostly makes private label snacks for Meijer and such, but they also sell their own brand of (really thin and crunchy) Cheetos knockoff.
~ Sam from Michigan

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2014, 09:59:36 PM
Oscar will know. I think he brought some to Laura at one of the meets they both attended.

Mt. Jackson VA, on US 11 but the company is on the other side of I-81.  I stocked up at the factory store there.

Route 11 chips have fairly uneven distribution even in Virginia.  Whole Foods usually carries them.  The Italian grocery store in my county carries some varieties.  I've seen them at 7-11s in the Shenandoah Valley along I-81.  But not the major grocery stores in my area (Giant/Stop & Shop, Safeway, Shoppers Food, Harris Teeter), nor at Wal-Mart.

Some varieties of Route 11 chips are featured in vending machines at some of the newer rest areas in Virginia, but not the regular food vending machines but rather the same machines that also sell "Virginia Is For Lovers" merchandise and other local specialty items. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

I've seen the Route 11 chips at Cracker Barrel, but I don't remember where.

I have also seen brochures for them at various rest areas/welcome centers in Virginia.

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2014, 02:05:12 PM
Herr's, Wise & Utz. :-)

These, plus Route 11 (which I have seen at random places in Virginia and in Maryland). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.