News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Local businesses that kept the name of the store they replaced.

Started by SteveG1988, July 20, 2014, 12:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

For example a pizza shop that uses the same name as what came before. In my home town we have Alba Pizza, it was named that before the current owner, Sal, took over. Everyone calls him Mr. Alba, and nobody remembers the prior owner/resturant.

It does not count if it is a franchise, except when the franchise itself is no longer in existance. For example West Coast Video has a few locations that are independent, even though the main company itself closed in 2009. Or the 50 franchised BlockBuster video stores left that are now independent stores.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

corco

In the North End of Boise, we had a store called the Hollywood Market that was run by a crazy old lady and was a North End institution. The lady ran the store and was basically the only employee from the time it opened in the early 60s until her passing in 2011.

http://www.idahoincamera.com/p250873656/h2B9CDFC3#h2b9cdfc3

After she passed, her kids sold the building and it was gutted and replaced with the Hollywood Market Yoga Studio, much to the chagrin of surrounding folks and perhaps the most visible, painful blow in the gradual gentrification of the North End of Boise from being the weird, diverse liberal part of Boise into the rich people who like old houses part of Boise. Some call it revitalization, I call it a travesty as the neighborhood has been losing its character for about a decade now.

I actually lived a block north of it for a few years- it was a really neat place, and the lady was always really nice to us kids. I used to walk down there and get beer for my Dad- she'd put it on his tab and that was that, and this was as recently as 2002 or so. She got in trouble for doing that in later years, I know, but she was too stubborn to ever stop and the community outrage if the fuzz would have ever actually done something to this lady would have been too great, so it was never more than a slap on the wrist.

Alps

Mario's Pizza in Bloomfield, NJ, has changed owners at least once, maybe twice, since I was a kid. The pizza is still great, but I've read it's different. Not sure if I ever met Mario, it's quite possible, but I'd never remember him anyway.

formulanone

Many automobile dealerships. Sometimes, the original owner just passes the keys over to the new owners, because the kids don't want to bother. Rather than losing the local goodwill and history the name has, the new dealer principal(s) will quietly change hands without a name change.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on July 20, 2014, 12:57:40 PMHollywood Market Yoga Studio

that title is one "jeggings" and/or "Kardashian" away from being the perfect storm of suck.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

doorknob60

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 20, 2014, 12:38:52 PM
Or the 50 franchised BlockBuster video stores left that are now independent stores.
Today I learned the 3 remaining Blockbuster stores in Bend (there used to be 4 or 5) are 3 of only ~50 left in the country. Holy crap. I hope they stick around, I like them. I assumed when Blockbuster closed, they closed a bunch of stores, but left a good number open. Guess not. Here's this list: http://www.blockbuster.com/franchise.html

SSOWorld

lots in Alaska - looks like the Netflix of Alaska hasn't established itself yet ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

The Nature Boy

There was that little diner in Milwaukee that was frequented by this greaser and his dorky friends. It went from a nice Asian man to an overweight Italian man all while keeping the same name. I hear that little Asian guy even bought it from some guy named Arnold without changing the name.

hbelkins

This sorta happened with Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. A lady named Ruth bought out Chris Steakhouse, so it became Ruth's Chris.

I'd like to eat there once before I die, but I will have to win the Powerball before I can afford it. Same with Jeff Ruby's. Every time I go to the Galt House in Louisville for a conference, I look at the menu. Then I see the prices, realize that I only get a $15 dinner reimbursement no matter how much it actually costs, and open a pack of Nabs I brought with me from home.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bulldog1979

Quote from: formulanone on July 21, 2014, 02:45:47 PM
Many automobile dealerships. Sometimes, the original owner just passes the keys over to the new owners, because the kids don't want to bother. Rather than losing the local goodwill and history the name has, the new dealer principal(s) will quietly change hands without a name change.

Something somewhat similar, but still different happened with the dealership here in my hometown. When I was a kid, it was Fisher Chevy Olds, and they used a dealer sticker in the shape of the Upper Peninsula. The sticker was black with metallic silver letters spelling out "FISHER" with "NEGAUNEE" in smaller print. When the Fisher who owned the dealership sold it, it became Nelson Chevy Olds, and the dealer stickers were modified with the new name.

Around 2001, the second generation of Nelsons running the dealership sold to the Crown Motors chain out of the Grand Rapids area. They retained the stickers, but updated them to a blue and white color scheme. Later, Crown purchased a Ford dealership in Marquette and used the same design in the chain's black and gold scheme. Sadly, when Crown sold some of their dealerships to Fox Motors, the Upper Peninsula-shaped stickers were retired in favor of the chromed plastic fox head. In time, I've owned cars bearing Fisher, Nelson and Crown stickers.

DandyDan

For many years in Omaha, there was an old Phillips 66 station at 60th and F Street which was later called Omaha 66.  I'm surprised the Phillips 66 people allowed that one to keep that name for as long as they did.  It recently closed and I just noticed this weekend the site has been demolished.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jeffandnicole

A small diner opened up about a mile away from me.  About 6 months after they opened, someone managed to start up a bulldozer from a construction site down the road near midnight, drove it up the road and crashed it thru the diner.  A getaway car was waiting nearby, and they took off.  The diner's owner said he would fix it up quickly.  It did take a few months, but by then I guess the diner owner didn't want to deal with the diner, and sold it.  The new owner kept the same name.  The new owner was also the son of the former owner of the Brooklawn Diner (which sat on the Brooklawn Circle).  That diner, btw, closed down.  The state basically closed them down - they hadn't paid their taxes in quite some time! 

hbelkins

^^^

Was that just a random act of vandalism, or did the perp have a specific gripe about the diner?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: DandyDan on July 22, 2014, 08:22:24 AM
For many years in Omaha, there was an old Phillips 66 station at 60th and F Street which was later called Omaha 66.  I'm surprised the Phillips 66 people allowed that one to keep that name for as long as they did.  It recently closed and I just noticed this weekend the site has been demolished.

There was a Plaza 66 convenience store in DeQueen, AR for a couple years, complete with a knock-off Phillips 66 sign.  Last time I was through there, I noticed the sign was gone.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2014, 10:42:35 AM
^^^

Was that just a random act of vandalism, or did the perp have a specific gripe about the diner?

Sounds kinda random, as they found beer bottles in the loader.  I don't think they ever caught the guys.  There was security camera footage, but I don't think it was able to clearly show the guys involved, and the owner never said anything about having issues with someone.

Here's one story of the incident with pics:

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2013/03/stolen_front-end_loader_plows.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.