Petaluma lad has ticket, but no ride, to last Beatles concert

Started by ZLoth, July 22, 2014, 03:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Petaluma lad has ticket, but no ride, to last Beatles concert
QuoteTerry Dilbeck got the call just a couple of hours before the concert. After months of anticipation, the 15-year-old Petaluma resident was told his ride to Candlestick Park had fallen through - the driver was grounded, and couldn't use his father's truck.

"For me, it might as well have been 1,000 miles away," Dilbeck remembers. "There was no time to really recoup from it. I just knew that it was not going to happen. It was depressing for a long, long time."

It wasn't just any concert. It was the Beatles' Aug. 29, 1966, appearance at Candlestick Park in San Francisco - what turned out to be the band's last commercial performance.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bandit957

I think the closest I came to missing a major event for a stupid reason was in 1988 when I was in high school. Michael Dukakis was campaigning in Cincinnati one Saturday, and I wanted to see him. But it turned out that my high school had its ridiculous computer contest on the same day, and I was on the computer team, even though I didn't want to be. Actually, I didn't even know I was on the team until someone told me the contest was that day.

When I insisted on going to Cincinnati to see Dukakis, my parents threw an absolute fit. Representing the worst high school in the nation at the computer contest was more important to them.

But I got to attend both events - though just barely. I was almost late getting to the computer contest. Heaven forbid.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.