Ask a professional truck driver questions.

Started by SteveG1988, July 26, 2014, 08:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky roads

I like this thread and hope to learn more about truck courtesy. I'm a 4 - wheeler but I always have Ch 19 on when I'm on the road.
What are the most common, or worse mistakes we 4 - wheelers make when interacting with rigs on the highway?
And is there a truckers' code that they don't communicate with a 4 - wheeler even in a "situation" on the road, like pulling out to pass or pulling in front of me?
Thanks.

SteveG1988

Quote from: rocky roads on July 26, 2014, 09:29:23 PM
I like this thread and hope to learn more about truck courtesy. I'm a 4 - wheeler but I always have Ch 19 on when I'm on the road.
What are the most common, or worse mistakes we 4 - wheelers make when interacting with rigs on the highway?
And is there a truckers' code that they don't communicate with a 4 - wheeler even in a "situation" on the road, like pulling out to pass or pulling in front of me?
Thanks.

I do not know about the CB thing, but one of the "Sins" you can commit as the driver of a passenger vehicle, Maverick hates the term 4 wheeler, it dehumanizes the car, since by saying 4 wheeler, you take the person out of it.

The main one, if you see us trying to change lanes, do not zoom past us, particularlly on the right hand side, you will dissapear into a blind spot. The other sins, do not ride the rear bumper, remember this fact, the vehicle weighs up to 80,000 lbs, and it takes a lot longer to stop than your car, and that is not even including the ammount of time it takes to react and throw on the brakes, and if i lock up the brakes i will jack knife. If you see my turn signal on, do not try and go around me though, as that will just cause issues.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Arkansastravelguy

I try at all costs not to pass on the right hand side of a rig unless the driver flat out refuses to get over (which isn't often). The only problem I have with trucks is when they impede the flow of traffic. I try to be as cordial as possible, most truckers are good people just tryin to make a living

iPhone

6a

I drive a smaller truck every day and I must say it does seem that large trucks are considerate for the most part. Downtown Columbus especially is a confusing stretch for unfamiliar motorists but in general I can count on the trucks to get right into the middle lane after the heavy merge points and hang out, so thanks for being predictable and leaving the right lane open for grandmas to croak along :)

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 09:34:14 PM

The other sins, do not ride the rear bumper, remember this fact, the vehicle weighs up to 80,000 lbs, and it takes a lot longer to stop than your car, and that is not even including the ammount of time it takes to react and throw on the brakes, and if i lock up the brakes i will jack knife. If you see my turn signal on, do not try and go around me though, as that will just cause issues.

Pretty sure that me riding your rear bumper will have no impact on your stopping distance (unless it's in the positive).  In fact, you getting up my ass is a lot scarier, especially in traffic where stops happen suddenly.

andrewkbrown

How often are runaway truck ramps actually used?
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

Pete from Boston

Are there more of you on the road late at night, or does it just seem that way because there are fewer of us?  This is when the car-truck negotiations seem to be most involved.

Brian556

When I was working for the city street department, I drove a Peterbilt Automatic Transmission tandem real axle dump truck. It was really nice not having to shift manually, especially since almost all of or driving was in the city.

SteveG1988

Quote from: 6a on July 26, 2014, 10:29:27 PM
I drive a smaller truck every day and I must say it does seem that large trucks are considerate for the most part. Downtown Columbus especially is a confusing stretch for unfamiliar motorists but in general I can count on the trucks to get right into the middle lane after the heavy merge points and hang out, so thanks for being predictable and leaving the right lane open for grandmas to croak along :)

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 09:34:14 PM

The other sins, do not ride the rear bumper, remember this fact, the vehicle weighs up to 80,000 lbs, and it takes a lot longer to stop than your car, and that is not even including the ammount of time it takes to react and throw on the brakes, and if i lock up the brakes i will jack knife. If you see my turn signal on, do not try and go around me though, as that will just cause issues.

Pretty sure that me riding your rear bumper will have no impact on your stopping distance (unless it's in the positive).  In fact, you getting up my ass is a lot scarier, especially in traffic where stops happen suddenly.
It is more like, you may run Into me, due to me having to make a quick stop. Since you will be unable to see it, you will have less reaction time.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cjk374

I used to have a CB in my old car.  If a truck driver had a tire sparking because the steel belt was showing, or a light out on their tractor or trailer, I would let him/her know about it.  Do y'all, as truck drivers, appreciate those reminders?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

J N Winkler

Quote from: andrewkbrown on July 26, 2014, 11:57:08 PMHow often are runaway truck ramps actually used?

It varies by location, but I recall (from an Arizona DOT study of the I-17 truck ramps) that a typical ramp is used several times a year.

My own questions:

*  If an eighteen-wheeler goes down a runaway truck ramp, is it still drivable, or is the undercarriage completely ruined?

*  Is there a trucking firm for which use of a ramp is not grounds for instant termination?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SteveG1988

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 27, 2014, 01:43:25 PM
Quote from: andrewkbrown on July 26, 2014, 11:57:08 PMHow often are runaway truck ramps actually used?

It varies by location, but I recall (from an Arizona DOT study of the I-17 truck ramps) that a typical ramp is used several times a year.

My own questions:

*  If an eighteen-wheeler goes down a runaway truck ramp, is it still drivable, or is the undercarriage completely ruined?

*  Is there a trucking firm for which use of a ramp is not grounds for instant termination?

First question, depends on speed and ramp design. Some have flipped trucks.
Roads Clinched

hbelkins

Surely that would have to be decided on an individual, case-by-case basis. Equipment can fail on anybody at any time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rocky roads

For runaway ramps my faves are at Fancy Gap on I-77 coming into NC. If you get distracted by the gorgeous view to your left on that 7 mile descent you can count on a runaway ramp every mile or so on the right.

SteveG1988

Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2014, 04:39:41 PM

Surely that would have to be decided on an individual, case-by-case basis. Equipment can fail on anybody at any time.

Correct. Some companies consider certain accidents avoidable/preventable, rear end something, you could have prevented it, stuff like that.
Roads Clinched

empirestate

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 26, 2014, 10:00:03 PM
I try at all costs not to pass on the right hand side of a rig unless the driver flat out refuses to get over (which isn't often). The only problem I have with trucks is when they impede the flow of traffic. I try to be as cordial as possible, most truckers are good people just tryin to make a living

Is it still considered discourteous to pass on the right when the truck has chosen to stay in the middle lane (of 3) to avoid repeated lane changes? If I'm cruising in the right lane and I come up on a truck going slower in the lane to my left, does the driver prefer that I cut over two lanes just to go around him on the left instead of the right?

rocky roads

I used to have a CB in my old car.  If a truck driver had a tire sparking because the steel belt was showing, or a light out on their tractor or trailer, I would let him/her know about it.  Do y'all, as truck drivers, appreciate those reminders?

This is the typical situation that I was wondering about in my above post about truckers not talking to non-trucker vehicles on the road.  Is it a waste of time to tell someone he left his blinker on for the last 5 miles or one of his running lights is out?

rocky roads

I'm just full of trucker questions here tonight and this is the place I might get some answers.
For example, when breaking channel for a rig you're following most drivers call out the carrier name on the back of the trailer.  When responding to a break and if you don't know who you're talking to you just hail that person as "driver".
Protocol for truckers? Do I dare use these terms as a non trucker?

SteveG1988

Quote from: empirestate on July 27, 2014, 07:10:20 PM

Is it still considered discourteous to pass on the right when the truck has chosen to stay in the middle lane (of 3) to avoid repeated lane changes? If I'm cruising in the right lane and I come up on a truck going slower in the lane to my left, does the driver prefer that I cut over two lanes just to go around him on the left instead of the right?

As long as you do it in a quick manner, and not ride along the side, I have no issues with this, I try to ride the right lane, only using the center as needed or if there is a left exit
Roads Clinched

bugo

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 26, 2014, 09:05:00 PM

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2014, 09:01:28 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 05:31:29 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 26, 2014, 03:54:51 PM
Why do truckers drive side by side down an interstate for 20 miles so no one can pass? I've had this happen late at night many times

iPhone

When your truck is governed at 64, and you're passing a truck that's governed at 62, or even doing it on a hill, you will have problems

And you should stay behind the guy doing 62.  You're making your problem everybody else's.
I kinda agree with this. When I'm traveling and I'm on an unfamiliar stretch of road (particularly mountain roads) if I'm holding up traffic I pull over and let the faster traffic pass. It's road etiquette.

Texas drivers are great.  They will actually pull over onto the shoulder to let you pass them on two lane highways.  It doesn't hurt that many Texas 2 laners have nice wide paved shoulders.

bugo

Quote from: Steve Gum on July 26, 2014, 09:10:48 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 26, 2014, 09:05:00 PM

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2014, 09:01:28 PM
Quote from: Steve Gum on July 26, 2014, 05:31:29 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 26, 2014, 03:54:51 PM
Why do truckers drive side by side down an interstate for 20 miles so no one can pass? I've had this happen late at night many times

iPhone

When your truck is governed at 64, and you're passing a truck that's governed at 62, or even doing it on a hill, you will have problems

And you should stay behind the guy doing 62.  You're making your problem everybody else's.
I kinda agree with this. When I'm traveling and I'm on an unfamiliar stretch of road (particularly mountain roads) if I'm holding up traffic I pull over and let the faster traffic pass. It's road etiquette.

iPhone

Sometimes though you do not wanna be behind that unit because you want to have a better sight line ahead, and also more reaction time. it is actually safer in the long run to pass, also it doesn't take that long to pass a 62mph truck at 64, the truck i am in has an automatic braking thing for the cruise, it will keep some space between me and a slower vehicle, and that can be annoying when you are going down an declinewhere you can pick up speed to use to get up the next incline

It's not safer for the "four wheelers" behind you.  They tend to get bunched up and will often ride your ass until you are allowed to pass them.  They also have to slow down which is dangerous.

Once I was on I-40 eastbound between Webbers Falls and Sallisaw in Oklahoma and a UPS truck pulled out in front of me to pass another truck.  He stayed even with the truck for at least 15 miles despite me flashing my lights at him and honking my horn.  He was obviously doing this just to be an asshole.  When I exited onto US 59, he was still micropassing the other truck.  So I lay on the horn and flipped him off when I exited.  What a dick.

bugo

I have to pass trucks on the right all the time.  I'll be driving on a 6 lane highway and the truck will be in the far left (passing) lane and there will be no cars in the other two lanes and they will refuse to get over.  They get honked at and/or brake checked when they pull that shit.

bugo

Quote from: Steve Gum on July 27, 2014, 06:48:20 PM

Correct. Some companies consider certain accidents avoidable/preventable, rear end something, you could have prevented it, stuff like that.

Do they punish you if, say, your brakes fail?  That seems unfair.

amroad17

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on July 26, 2014, 10:35:26 AM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 26, 2014, 10:05:53 AM
As someone who is seriously considering getting a Class A CDL: Why do drivers put up with driving for Schneider Nat'l when you're limited to well under the speed limit on most non-urban freeways?

Seeing how they don't pay their OTR drivers very well, I'm not quite sure; but then, people drive for Werner, Swift and C.R. England... the 3 worst companies to drive for, period.  And Werner pays OTRs worse than Schneider.  Schneider is at least a halfway decent company to drive for.

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 26, 2014, 08:50:31 AMWhen you're off the clock, how much time do you get to actually enjoy wherever you've stopped for the night?

10 hours minimum by law.  That said, I usually have enough time to where I can take an extra hour or two, and still make delivery with time to spare.
Swift: Sure Wish I Finished Training!

I also was a professional truck driver for eight years (October 1999-January 2008).  I drove for an expediting company out of Cincinnati with a six-wheel truck that maxed at 65 mph.  I had a Class B CDL and drove all across the country.  It was a job I enjoyed a lot.

In response to the opinions on the slow trucks "racing", I knew the limitations of my vehicle and would pass only when I knew I could complete it.  There were some times I started to pass, realized I could not get by, and just settled in behind the vehicle ahead of me.  Of course, out in the Midwest and West, I lived in the right lane in the lands of 75 mph speed limits. 

I hated the split speed limits in some of the states, especially Ohio and Illinois where it used to be 55 mph.  It sure would be better to drive a truck in those states now as the speed limit is now uniform.  I could go further in 10 or 11 hours if I had to go to the Northeast or Upper Midwest.

So, if anyone has questions about driving for an expedited company or for a company which uses the six-wheel trucks (I dislike the term "box truck"--sorry) and does local only deliveries, feel free to ask me.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Quote from: bugo on July 27, 2014, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: Steve Gum on July 27, 2014, 06:48:20 PM

Do they punish you if, say, your brakes fail?  That seems unfair.
It depends on the company.  I would say that 3 out of 4 times that the brake failure is preventable.  It also depends on how much the payload weighs.

There are many places along our interstate system where they have trucks six wheels and over pull off to check brakes before heading down a mountain.  Some of these places are:

-I-64 east of Beckley, WV at exit 133 before heading down Sandstone Mountain
    -I-68 east of Morgantown, WV at exit 15 before heading down the mountain toward Cheat Lake
    -I-24 eastbound at the top of Monteagle Mountain

This does not necessarily mean that the brakes may not fail.  I did smoke my brakes heading down Sandstone once because I was carrying 12,000 pounds in my six-wheeler.  Once I saw they were smoking, I pulled over by the runaway truck ramp (the first one) and sat there for 30 minutes until the brakes cooled down.  I sure did not want to start a fire as that would engulf not only the tires but the box as well.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

The Nature Boy

How many states have split speed limits still? I know Michigan does, but are there others?

Is there a good reason for them?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.