News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NY: New Disabled Persons Symbol

Started by burgess87, July 27, 2014, 01:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

mgk920

'Watch for wheelchair racers'

:nod:

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on July 28, 2014, 11:35:02 AM
Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 28, 2014, 09:39:02 AM
It's silly season folks.  Election time in the most dysfunctional state government in the Union. :rolleyes:

I take it you've never been to Indiana Illinois.

FIFY.  Indiana actually functions when compared to highly dysfunctional Illinois.  Hell, 48 other states are functional when compared to Illinois.  Maybe 49 if California is having a good day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

This is not a new symbol. It's a modified version of the International Symbol of Accessibility, as designed by the Accessible Icon Project. According to the group, the new icon is ADA-compliant.

Sorry the image is so blurry...you can thank the project for that.

I prefer the headless design created by Susan Koefoed.

It's worth noting that I've sen the Brandan Murphy design from 1994 in British Columbia parking areas.

EDIT: Here's what the website says the new design is about:

"The Accessible Icon Project provides supplies and services to transform the old International Symbol of Access into an active, engaged image. We think visual representation matters. People with disabilities have a long history of being spoken for, of being rendered passive in decisions about their lives. The old icon, while a milestone in ADA history, displays that passivity: its arms and legs are drawn like mechanical parts, its posture is unnaturally erect, and its entire look is one that make the chair, not the person, important and visible. As people with disabilities of all kinds–not just chair users–create greater rights and opportunities for social, political, and cultural participation, we think cities should evolve their images of accessibility too".

Scott5114

Quote from: jake on July 28, 2014, 03:01:14 PM
This is not a new symbol. It's a modified version of the International Symbol of Accessibility, as designed by the Accessible Icon Project. According to the group, the new icon is ADA-compliant.

It's worth noting that I've sen the Brandan Murphy design from 1994 in British Columbia parking areas.

I think it's pretty funny that the Koefoed design is clearly meant to be an empty wheelchair. Someone was probably like "Oh, there should be a person in it", so they stuck a head onto the wheelchair's chair back and voila, instant person.

I like the Murphy design the best of all of these.

The first Street Art Campaign one looks like the wheelchair has a temporary second occupant, and the two are enjoying each other's company, if you know what I mean.

Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 28, 2014, 09:39:02 AM
It's silly season folks.  Election time in the most dysfunctional state government in the Union. :rolleyes:

I fail to see what Oklahoma has to do with this story!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: jake on July 28, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

I concur.  It gets the point across about what most of these spaces and ramps are for - wheelchair access.  If you have a cane or walker, you can use things like stairs (some are actually easier than ramps) or spaces further out.

The new NY design lacks the uniformity of understanding that the ADA and Koefoed designs have.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

I can't wait to see what happens when the first person who sees one of these signs gets confused and parks into the wrong spot.  The new design does not say "handicapped" or "wheelchair" but rather "cartoon physics running with extra legs".  Plus when was the last time you saw someone in a wheelchair lean forward like that (well, aside from one guy I knew that has an unnaturally curved spine)?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zmapper

I'm also in favor of Murphy's design; it doesn't connote that wheelchair users are all fully-able paraolympic athletes with a semicircle shooting out of their rear, yet still suggests movement and emphases the person over the devise.

corco

Quote from: Zmapper on July 28, 2014, 09:11:50 PM
I'm also in favor of Murphy's design; it doesn't connote that wheelchair users are all fully-able paraolympic athletes with a semicircle shooting out of their rear, yet still suggests movement and emphases the person over the devise.

Agreed fully- that's a nice compromise design.

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 28, 2014, 11:37:47 AM
Symbol dates to 1968:

Ah... you know, that makes sense. There are clearly handicapped parking signs out there that are of 70s vintage. :P

I always assumed the symbol was created by ADA in 1990. But I suppose it was merely first mandated by it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jakeroot

Quote from: corco on July 28, 2014, 09:13:26 PM
Quote from: Zmapper on July 28, 2014, 09:11:50 PM

Agreed fully- that's a nice compromise design.

Here's how Brendan Murphy justifies the design (from 1994):

The present wheelchair symbol and its designation as a symbol for all disabled people has been reviewed because of the rigid image it portrays, and its association with the word "handicapped"  which literally means "cap in hand"  or "beggar."  It is our feeling that under no circumstances should the term "handicapped"  be used in conjunction with this new symbol or efforts to comply with the ADA.

The new symbol tries to be sensitive to both the message and the audience – the person is no longer imprisoned by the chair – the chair is merely the vehicle with which he or she gains access. Activity and movement are suggested with body positioning – the angle of the torso, and the "pushing position"  of the arm. It attempts to portray an active, independent person, in sharp contrast to the former symbol which has been described as dependent, rigid, and helpless.

We think this is a perfect example of how to progressively communicate easy access and consideration to citizens who have disabilities.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GaryV

Quote from: jake on July 28, 2014, 11:12:19 PM

The present wheelchair symbol and its designation as a symbol for all disabled people has been reviewed because of the rigid image it portrays, and its association with the word "handicapped"  which literally means "cap in hand"  or "beggar."  It is our feeling that under no circumstances should the term "handicapped"  be used in conjunction with this new symbol or efforts to comply with the ADA.

Sorry Mr. Murphy, but no.  http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/handicap.asp

If one is going to promote changing something, one should do the proper research.  (It took me more time to read it than to find it.)

jakeroot

Quote from: GaryV on July 29, 2014, 06:50:41 PM
Quote from: jake on July 28, 2014, 11:12:19 PM

Sorry Mr. Murphy, but no.  http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/handicap.asp

If one is going to promote changing something, one should do the proper research.  (It took me more time to read it than to find it.)

To be fair, he conducted his research in 1994. But I understand your point.

JMoses24

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 28, 2014, 09:11:28 AM
I think it's like this:

OLD
Wheelchair user static
Passive
Invalid

NEW
Wheelchair user engaged in moving self
Active
Living productive life

It's silly to spend money on new signs, but as they replace them, I don't see the problem in updating the symbol. 

For the record, I am that one person here on AARoads that uses a wheelchair.

As for the new signage, Pete's comments above sum it up for my opinion. I like that symbol as an update for the 21st century. Despite my being paralyzed below the waist, I still try to lead a fairly active life. No two physical impairments are alike, of course. But to capture all the different types of disabilities, you'd need multiple symbols. 

SP Cook

Seems PC to me, but the big problem is the lack of universality.  If you travel, you know what a "whatever" sign or symbol is.  If every jurisdiction goes its own way, then we hurt the people we are trying to help.

vdeane

To me, the new symbol looks like either:
a. a wheelchair racer going at speeds that rival what my cousins and I would do when screwing around with Grandpa's wheelchair
b. a cartoon runner with a dust cloud generated by his cartoon legs before the cartoon physics cause him to shoot forward like a rocket with speed lines behind him.

And why does the wheelchair have two semi-circles rather than one circle?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2014, 12:16:56 PM

Because it broke.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on August 02, 2014, 12:21:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2014, 12:16:56 PM

Because it broke.

The description offers the explanation that this invokes movement, and makes stenciling easier.

vdeane

IMO they're invoking too much movement by making the wheelchair person look like he's in a race.  Personally, I never read anything into the old symbol, so I don't see the issue.  It was just there.  I was never once thinking "is the person passive or active" etc.

Revive 755

Dusting off this topic since FHWA has weighed in on the alternative symbols:  link.

freebrickproductions

So... The FHWA says that the new symbol shouldn't be used.
Interesting.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

noelbotevera

This is not a wheelchair symbol. It is a symbol that says "you may lean to one side if a circle is cut in a half unequally".
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

mapman1071

City of Phoenix, AZ is using the new Symbol/Graphic however is only placed on new/resurfaced pavement at on street parking meters/pay station spaces and on replacement & New Signs. Do not know if the Graphic is going to be used on Valley Metro buses owned by the City of Phoenix.   

noelbotevera

Symbol Understandings (literally)

1968 - a nice little wheelchair  :D

1969/1984 - Add a head, now a sudden stickman appeared! He looks like he's sitting peacefully on a bitten orange.

1994 - Stickman is doing his yoga/gymnastics routine on a C.

2000 - More detailed than 1969/1984

2011 - Picture 1
You know that they're bros by sharing that wheelchair...how nice of them!

2011 - Picture 2
It looks like somebody is riding two circles and leaning forward for confidence. Watch for that stairstep that's about to come in 50 feet there.

2012 - Two magnets stuck together, and this guy used the magnets as a wheel and is a little bit overconfident. There's a car coming for you in about 50 inches.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.