News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How do you pronounce these city names?

Started by Zeffy, August 17, 2014, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on August 19, 2014, 02:16:29 PM
OK, it's time to stump folks.

Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans.  No south Louisianans need answer.

Uh...

I'll take Chow-Pit-Too-Las, final answer.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

US81

Chop-uh-too-lus, emphasis on "too," schwa for the unstressed second and fourth syllables.  As an aside, asking directions in New Orleans used to be a fun experience - east and west were pretty straightforward, but instead of north and south, you heard "lakeside" and "riverside."

Brandon

Quote from: US81 on August 19, 2014, 02:52:57 PM
Chop-uh-too-lus, emphasis on "too," schwa for the unstressed second and fourth syllables.  As an aside, asking directions in New Orleans used to be a fun experience - east and west were pretty straightforward, but instead of north and south, you heard "lakeside" and "riverside."

And we have a winner!  :cool:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rainking75

I've on occasion heard N.O. locals say "chop-toolas", but I agree correct pronunciation is most certainly chop-pi-too-las.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Brandon on August 19, 2014, 02:16:29 PM
OK, it's time to stump folks.

Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans.  No south Louisianans need answer.

North Louisianians know how to pronounce that stuff too  :)

english si

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 17, 2014, 09:16:17 PMA few other Massachusetts oddities:

--Our second largest city is Worcester (NOTE: No H.), pronounced WUS-ta by the locals.
--Leicester:  LES-ta
--Leominster:  LEM-ins-ta
--Woburn:  WOO-bun
--Needham:  NEED-um
--Dedham:  DED-um
--Stoneham:  STONE-um
--Stoughton:  STOWT-un
--Peabody:  PEE-buh-dee
--Quincy:  QUIN-zee
Not odd if you are British, except maybe WOO-bun.

Our Leominster is simply LEM-sta

NBC's Premier League promos are making a big deal out of how to pronounce Leicester, given Leicester are a newly promoted team, and one non-Mass Americans struggle with (How to spot an American tourist in London - they are the ones asking "How do you get to Lie-ces-ter Square?". Everyone else can say it roughly correctly, even if Kiwis say 'Lister'!)

'wich' and 'wark' suffixes also are unintuitive, esp to Americans. Never pronounce the 'w' and perhaps shorten the first bit. Southwark is 'Suv-uk' (with a weak 'k' - Londoners don't pronounce strong sounds), Greenwich is 'Gren-ich', but Woolwich is 'Wool-ich'.
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 17, 2014, 10:38:40 PMFor Newark, NJ, it's New-irk.
For Newark, DE, it's New-Arc
For Newark, Nottinghamshire, it's New-uk (with a strong 'k')

ET21

Quote from: corco on August 17, 2014, 02:11:58 PM

Quote3. Detroit - Duh-troy

What

I agree, that is not how you pronounce Detroit lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US81

Regarding the pronunciation of Bexar: I hear about an equal mix of "bear" and a version with a long A vowel sound with a light diphthong "Bay'r" - not quite two syllables.

busman_49

Quote from: vtk on August 17, 2014, 03:19:08 PM
Ohio placenames:

Wooster: WOO stir (rhymes with rooster)

Nope.

I grew up in Orrville, which is right next to Wooster.  Think of it as calling someone "wuss," then tacking "ter" on the end.

Incidentally, note the two Rs in Orrville.  It's named for Judge Smith Orr and NOT Orville Redenbacker.  Pronounced ORR-ville, and not "orvul"

jakeroot

Quote from: empirestate on August 19, 2014, 09:52:41 AM
Quote from: jake on August 18, 2014, 10:50:07 PM
Yes. CLEE-ell-um. But ell-um is one syllable.

Got it. Drop the "u": "CLEE elm".

Almost. Here's a video that demonstrates the pronunciation (go to 0:11):

english si

Quote from: busman_49 on August 20, 2014, 12:56:43 PMI grew up in Orrville, which is right next to Wooster.  Think of it as calling someone "wuss," then tacking "ter" on the end.
Were they going for 'Worcester' but with more phonetic spelling that like the original hasn't aged well?

golden eagle

Here's a couple more:

Tchoutacabouffa River

Lafourche Parish

agentsteel53

Quote from: golden eagle on August 20, 2014, 07:23:13 PM

Lafourche Parish

if this is anything like Belle Fourche, South Dakota, then it is "la foosh".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

agentsteel53

Quote from: golden eagle on August 20, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
Tchoutacabouffa River

I'll give this one a shot. 

"tchou" as in "Tchoupitoulas"; which is more of a "chaw" than the "choo choo", like a train, as I had surmised. 

"ta" and "ca" are short, schwa-based syllables.

"bou" is like a ghost jumping out at you.  "boo!" - primarily accented syllable, though maybe not as explosively spectral; only a tiny bit more forceful than the first syllable.

"ffa" - is one final schwa.

any good?

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

Choo-ta-ca-buff is how I've always heard it pronounced.

agentsteel53

Quote from: golden eagle on August 20, 2014, 07:35:50 PM
Choo-ta-ca-buff is how I've always heard it pronounced.

so this one is a "choo" and the other one is a "chaw"?  well, color me baffled.  or, rather, since we are apparently in the habit of silencing everything after an "ff"... color me baff.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: busman_49 on August 20, 2014, 12:56:43 PM
Quote from: vtk on August 17, 2014, 03:19:08 PM
Ohio placenames:

Wooster: WOO stir (rhymes with rooster)

Nope.

I grew up in Orrville, which is right next to Wooster.  Think of it as calling someone "wuss," then tacking "ter" on the end.

I see. So central Ohioans have been misinformed.  The pronunciation you describe seems like the most natural choice, but somehow Wooster gets thrown in lists of oddly-pronounced placenames.

Also, I'm second-guessing myself on New Albany.  I've heard the Albany in NY is pronounced differently, but I can never remember if ours has an "Al" sound or an "all" sound.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

Quote from: hbelkins on August 17, 2014, 10:33:32 PM
Monticello -- mon-ti-sell-oh

I learned this one first hand a couple months ago while passing through there. I used the Thomas Jefferson pronunciation of "Monticello" while ordering a pizza, and was corrected by the guy on the phone. He also told me that "mon-ti-hell-hole" was a locally used alternative.

empirestate

Quote from: jake on August 20, 2014, 01:29:02 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 19, 2014, 09:52:41 AM
Quote from: jake on August 18, 2014, 10:50:07 PM
Yes. CLEE-ell-um. But ell-um is one syllable.

Got it. Drop the "u": "CLEE elm".

Almost. Here's a video that demonstrates the pronunciation (go to 0:11):

Ah, okay. I definitely still hear that as three syllables; that's where you threw me. So what you originally wrote: "CLEE-ell-um" is the way to go!

Arkansastravelguy

In NW Arkansas we have a town named Gravette. I'm not sure if it's grav-it or grah-vette like corvette

iPhone

vtk

In Columbus we have Alum Creek, and a nearby roadway called Alum Creek Drive.  I'm pretty sure that's pronounced AL-um, like the mineral, but some people say a-LUMM, like the stupid false singular form of "alumni" that people are starting to use.  Just...no.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

busman_49

Quote from: vtk on August 20, 2014, 09:13:11 PM
Quote from: busman_49 on August 20, 2014, 12:56:43 PM

Also, I'm second-guessing myself on New Albany.  I've heard the Albany in NY is pronounced differently, but I can never remember if ours has an "Al" sound or an "all" sound.

It has the "all" sound.

Also, while I'm thinking about it...the little burg of Dalton is pronounced with the "Al" sound and not the "all" sound

DandyDan

Nobody's said anything for Nebraska yet and while I think most are straightforward, some are not, or different from how other places with the same name are pronounced.
1. Norfolk- actually pronounced nor-FORK.  The city wanted to be Norfork, because it's on the North Fork of the Elkhorn River, but the postal service thought it was a mistake and called it Norfolk.  I hear nor-FOLK, but I believe most of them are people not from Nebraska.
2. Beatrice- Be-AT-riss, not like how you pronounce a person with the name
3. Louisville- Lou-IS-ville, essentially like how it looks, not like how the TV people pronounce the city in Kentucky
4. Plattsmouth- PLATTS-muth
5. Hooper- Hoo-per, with the short oo like in hooker
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

national highway 1

A few from New South Wales:
Wollongong: Woolen-gong
Tuggerah: Tuggra
Leichhardt: Lyke-art
Wee Waa: Wee War
Sydenham: Syden-nm
Ourimbah: Oo-rim-ba
Wagga Wagga: Wogga Wogga or just shortened to 'Wagga'
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.