News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Five more years of work on Arizona I-15

Started by Kniwt, March 21, 2016, 08:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The Spectrum in St. George UT reports today:
http://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/2016/03/21/more-work-planned-virgin-river-gorge/82092638/

QuoteAbout $40 million worth of additional projects are planned in the next five years along Interstate 15 as it crosses through the Virgin River Gorge in Arizona, according to a tentative plan made available Monday for public comment.

... Additional bridge work is forecasted in each year from 2017 to 2019 in the proposed five-year plan, including a $35 million bridge overhaul starting in 2019 that would be similar to the one currently under construction, according to the plan made public last week by the Arizona Department of Transportation.

Additional projects include a smaller bridge project for $300,000 in 2018 and a combined $3.3 million for two additional projects in 2019.

The tentative-five year plan is available online at azdot.gov/fiveyearplan.

Rothman

All for it.  Last time I was through there, the pavement was teh suck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Kniwt

Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2016, 01:24:35 PM
All for it.  Last time I was through there, the pavement was teh suck.

The pavement part is just about done already; a big project from MM 0-13 is wrapping up after weeks of all-night work (and lane closures). The rest of it will be bridges.

Sonic99

Must be a contractor up there who has "friends in high places" with ADOT. Just keep a contract or two going every couple years and the contractor is all set.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Max Rockatansky

So basically a couple more years of avoiding the Gorge and taking old US 91....great...and that was one of the few scenic and fun parts of the Interstate system.  Incidentally I have an old wooden AZ I-15 sign sitting in my garage, I would speculate from the late 60s given it's the original Interstate font format...thought that was a neat recent find.

andy3175

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2016, 11:45:00 PM
So basically a couple more years of avoiding the Gorge and taking old US 91....great...and that was one of the few scenic and fun parts of the Interstate system.  Incidentally I have an old wooden AZ I-15 sign sitting in my garage, I would speculate from the late 60s given it's the original Interstate font format...thought that was a neat recent find.

Last time I went through the Gorge (last summer), the majority of I-15 shields had been replaced with the state name no longer present. I'm guessing these signs were second or third generation after the end of the wooden shields in Arizona, but I could be wrong. There might still be some wooden shields in Utah, however.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: andy3175 on March 24, 2016, 12:45:08 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2016, 11:45:00 PM

Last time I went through the Gorge (last summer), the majority of I-15 shields had been replaced with the state name no longer present. I'm guessing these signs were second or third generation after the end of the wooden shields in Arizona, but I could be wrong. There might still be some wooden shields in Utah, however.

Actually I found an I-70 Utah that was wooden a couple months after.  That guy had about six of them for sale so I would speculate they probably were fairly recent pull downs out in the Swell.

andy3175

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2016, 08:01:26 AM
Actually I found an I-70 Utah that was wooden a couple months after.  That guy had about six of them for sale so I would speculate they probably were fairly recent pull downs out in the Swell.

Perhaps it was one that looked like this one (photographed in 2004, now long gone) as profiled on page https://www.aaroads.com/west/i-070_ut.html:

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: andy3175 on March 25, 2016, 12:10:12 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2016, 08:01:26 AM

Perhaps it was one that looked like this one (photographed in 2004, now long gone) as profiled on page https://www.aaroads.com/west/i-070_ut.html:

Yep, same font and all except mine is a lot more faded out.  The white outline basically turned green but the red and blue are still the correct color. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.