News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 10, 2014, 08:59:25 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 10, 2014, 11:44:35 AM
Yeah, I think the proposed number and southern endpoints make perfect sense.  And really IDOT won't have to invest heavily in signage.  US-41 heads off less than a mile and a half south of the WI line.  You are talking about a BGS or two and a reassurance marker.

I think that the tollway does maintenance on that small free part of I-94 / US 41

Easy way to tell is to look at the broken white lane lines:
ISTHA: – – – – –
IDOT: –   –   –
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 10, 2014, 12:50:04 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 08, 2014, 11:55:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when this is completed, Wisconsin would be the only state that has 2 interstate triple concurrencies?  There's I-39/90/94 and now they'll have I-41/43/894?

Once the new bridge opens in St. Louis, Wisconsin will be the ONLY state with ANY triple concurrencies.  For a time at least.
NC sure comes close with the I-73/I-74 mess. Almost had I-40/73/85 until they chickened out.

NE2

Quote from: Alps on February 11, 2014, 09:44:01 PM
Once the new bridge opens in St. Louis, Wisconsin will be the ONLY state with ANY triple concurrencies.  For a time at least.
NC sure comes close with the I-73/I-74 mess. Almost had I-40/73/85 until they chickened out.
Not quite - I-73 uses the C/D roads on both sides of I-85.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: vtk on February 11, 2014, 05:38:53 AM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 10, 2014, 08:59:25 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 10, 2014, 11:44:35 AM
Yeah, I think the proposed number and southern endpoints make perfect sense.  And really IDOT won't have to invest heavily in signage.  US-41 heads off less than a mile and a half south of the WI line.  You are talking about a BGS or two and a reassurance marker.

I think that the tollway does maintenance on that small free part of I-94 / US 41

right now that part is a big work zone

--quote fix -- ms

CtrlAltDel

I recently noted that. Does anyone know why the Tollway paints the lines as it does?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Brandon

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 17, 2014, 04:09:57 AM

I recently noted that. Does anyone know why the Tollway paints the lines as it does?

No idea.  The NJTP does the same thing.  Personally, I like them (1:1) better than what I've seen in most places (1:3).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on February 17, 2014, 12:52:15 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 17, 2014, 04:09:57 AM

No idea.  The NJTP does the same thing.  Personally, I like them (1:1) better than what I've seen in most places (1:3).
NJTA says the 25/25 are more visible to truckers than the 10/30. Of course, there are many other roads with high truck percentages (Indiana Toll Road, for example) that use the standard 10/30.

DevalDragon

The Illinois Tollway and Indiana Toll Road do as well.

IDOT uses reflectors, but ISTHA does not - perhaps they think the longer lines serve the same purpose?

Brandon

Quote from: DevalDragon on February 18, 2014, 11:31:17 PM

IDOT uses reflectors, but ISTHA does not - perhaps they think the longer lines serve the same purpose?

ISTHA does indeed have reflectors, just not everywhere.  A good percentage of their mileage is lighted at night.  Most of their reflectors seem to be on curves in the lighted areas such as along I-355 by I-88.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Alps

Quote from: DevalDragon on February 18, 2014, 11:31:17 PM

Well, if I knew that about Indiana, I would have contacted them a year or two ago to find out if they had a reason!

JoePCool14

I think that IDOT's lines are probably better, because I do not find it necessary to use that much paint.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

skluth

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 08, 2014, 11:55:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when this is completed, Wisconsin would be the only state that has 2 interstate triple concurrencies?  There's I-39/90/94 and now they'll have I-41/43/894?

The new Mississippi River bridge in STL carrying I-70 is now open.

FightingIrish

So, any updates on I-41? As far as I've heard, the Senate hasn't voted on the House-approved waiver yet (guess they're still trying to repeal healthcare). So far, all I've seen is covered-up signs on Greenfield Av, North Av and Blue Mound Rd.

GeekJedi

There's some "oranged out" construction signs along westbound 94 and westbound 894.  I also noticed a few covered up signs along WI-175 in Dodge county (I think I saw one in Lomira).
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

halork

So, I'm hoping to see I-41 signage this summer when I'm up for vacation.  Anything moving to get the signage accomplished this summer?  :hmmm:

SSOWorld

not likely - haven't heard a peep.  I assume the change is still tied up in Congress
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadman65

I do not understand why it is being signed concurrent with I-94 into Illinois.  To me that is a useless overlap, as Illinois has no intention of continuing the route from where it will end just south of the WI-IL State Line.  Heck it does not even intersect another major roadway at point of termination.

Why not just end it at the Zoo Interchange and just run from Milwaukee to Green Bay?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SEWIGuy

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2014, 08:52:52 AM
I do not understand why it is being signed concurrent with I-94 into Illinois.  To me that is a useless overlap, as Illinois has no intention of continuing the route from where it will end just south of the WI-IL State Line.  Heck it does not even intersect another major roadway at point of termination.

Why not just end it at the Zoo Interchange and just run from Milwaukee to Green Bay?

Because its north endpoint will be at US-41 north of Green Bay...and its south endpoint will be at US-41 just south of the WI/IL border.  I-41 is basically replacing US-41 for its entire length except for the Milwaukee area.  For instance, US-41 duplexes with I-94 from Milwaukee into Illinois already.

roadman65

Yeah I understand that part, but it makes no sense to have it end in the middle of nowhere along a concurrency already.

At is northern end is understandable as it is not concurrent with another interstate number.  It ends just like I-39 or even I-35 does for that matter.  It would be like extending I-80 into NY via I-95 and it dropping at the point where I-95 changes from the Bruckner Expressway to the NE Thruway.  If I-80 were to end, lets say, at I-87 along I-95's way that would make sense somewhat, but to do it at the Pelham Parkway would be totally useless. 

It is better just to make it end at I-94 and I-894 and just leave the rest as is unless Illinois picks it up to go further south.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SEWIGuy

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2014, 09:22:08 AM
Yeah I understand that part, but it makes no sense to have it end in the middle of nowhere along a concurrency already.

At is northern end is understandable as it is not concurrent with another interstate number.  It ends just like I-39 or even I-35 does for that matter.  It would be like extending I-80 into NY via I-95 and it dropping at the point where I-95 changes from the Bruckner Expressway to the NE Thruway.  If I-80 were to end, lets say, at I-87 along I-95's way that would make sense somewhat, but to do it at the Pelham Parkway would be totally useless. 

It is better just to make it end at I-94 and I-894 and just leave the rest as is unless Illinois picks it up to go further south.

I-41 will end at US-41.  It's unusual, but I understand why they did it.

mgk920

The planned 'I-41' routing is a very popular through traffic routing.  An amazing amount of overhead traffic uses it between the Wisconsin's Fox River Valley (Oshkosh, Appleton, et al - 400-500K population in total) and points south (ie, Chicagoland and beyond) and this would give that traffic's logical corridor a single route number.

In fact, until this interstate proposal became likely, I was constantly hounding WisDOT to reroute US 41 to that corridor since the 1980s - just to help keep unfamiliar people from getting lost while transiting Milwaukee County.

Mike

FightingIrish

One of the reasons is to avoid replacing the mile markers and exit numbers.

billtm

Will Interstate 894 be decommissioned? :confused:

On another note, it seems like it would make much more sense grid wise that I-41 follow current I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay, while I-43 follow future I-41 from Milwaukee to Green Bay. In that case, I-894 definitely wouldn't be decommissioned.

Brandon

Quote from: billtm on May 22, 2014, 04:19:15 PM

On another note, it seems like it would make much more sense grid wise that I-41 follow current I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay, while I-43 follow future I-41 from Milwaukee to Green Bay. In that case, I-894 definitely wouldn't be decommissioned.

WTF!?!  Grid-wise, I-41 should be west of I-43, and that is the plan as far as I have seen for Milwaukee to Green Bay.

As for decommissioning I-894, since the original reason for I-894 was a bypass of downtown Milwaukee (I-94), I suspect it will stay.

billtm

Quote from: Brandon on May 22, 2014, 04:29:52 PM
Quote from: billtm on May 22, 2014, 04:19:15 PM

WTF!?!  Grid-wise, I-41 should be west of I-43, and that is the plan as far as I have seen for Milwaukee to Green Bay.

As for decommissioning I-894, since the original reason for I-894 was a bypass of downtown Milwaukee (I-94), I suspect it will stay.
Sorry! I didn't know what I was thinking! :banghead: I drank way too much coffee. :wow: Also, its finals week...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.