News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Two Quick Interstate Questions

Started by Grzrd, September 13, 2010, 06:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

ugh, left exit/exit only.  disgusting.  when I am driving in the fast lane, the last thing I want to do is be shunted off the freeway.

how many other interstates have that misfeature?  I remember there being an exit on I-84 westbound just west of Hartford (Trout Creek Road, I think?) that was a forced exit of the left lane.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

I-490 east near downtown Rochester has one onto the Inner Loop.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Grzrd

On western side of Atlanta, both I-285S to I-20E and I-285N to I-20W are left lane exit only.

CORRECTION

I drove through this intersection yesterday.  I-285S to I-20E is left lane, but NOT exit only.  I-285S to I-20W is right lane exit only.  In other words, the two I-285 ramps to I-20W are exit only.

Roadsign199qc

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 27, 2010, 07:58:01 PM
There's also a crossover on A-20 in Montréal between Route 138 and A-15/A-720.
But after the Échangeur Turcot, there's no crossover!/Mais après L'échangeur, pus d'Angleterre!
Hi!

RoadWarrior56

Many of the interstate to interstate interchanges in the Atlanta area used to have left-lane exits/entrances.  Most were rebuilt in the 80's to convert to right-lane operation.  As per the previous post, the I-20 W interchange on I-285 and the I-285 interchange with the Stone Mtn. Freeway (US 78) also has left-lane entrances onto I-285.

jdb1234

I-20/59 Southbound has a left lane exit only at 22nd Street in downtown Birmingham.  Also I-65 Northbound does a similar thing at the ramp to I-20/59 Southbound.

kj3400

I-83 North has one where it meets I-695 to multiplex it up.....if you're not paying attention, you end up on Falls Rd.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Grzrd

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on October 29, 2010, 12:31:39 PM
Many of the interstate to interstate interchanges in the Atlanta area used to have left-lane exits/entrances.  Most were rebuilt in the 80's to convert to right-lane operation.  As per the previous post, the I-20 W interchange on I-285 and the I-285 interchange with the Stone Mtn. Freeway (US 78) also has left-lane entrances onto I-285.
Although not "exit only", many HOV entrances and exits in metro Atlanta are left lane.  In 2007, apparent confusion arising from a left lane exit at I-75S/Northside Drive led to a deadly crash involving a college baseball team (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-02-atlanta-bus-wreck_x.htm).  IIRC GDOT made significant changes to the signage related to this exit after the accident.

Mr_Northside

I-376; the Parkway East section; has a couple (At least Westbound.. I think Grant. St. is the only one Eastbound.  I'm also not counting the chaos on the Ft. Pitt Bridge).  They're all well signed though, and have never really bothered me at all.  Certainly enough warning to have never felt "shunted".

Left entrances / merges are more annoying, however (PA 65 S to I-279 N... I'm looking at you), unless they become an additional lane, then it's all right (Now I'm looking at the Blvd of the Allies ramp to the Outbound Parkway East)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 29, 2010, 01:23:58 AM
ugh, left exit/exit only.  disgusting.  when I am driving in the fast lane, the last thing I want to do is be shunted off the freeway.

how many other interstates have that misfeature?  I remember there being an exit on I-84 westbound just west of Hartford (Trout Creek Road, I think?) that was a forced exit of the left lane.

I-110 NB in Baton Rouge, off ramp for Convention St.
I-71 NB @ I-670 in Columbus
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Dr Frankenstein

A-20 East Exit 312-N (A-73 North) is another one. Two dropped lanes on the left.

Bickendan

ugh, left exit/exit only.  disgusting.  when I am driving in the fast lane, the last thing I want to do is be shunted off the freeway.

Left lane of I-405 northbound exits to westbound US 30.

Duke87

I remember there being an exit on I-84 westbound just west of Hartford (Trout Creek Road, I think?) that was a forced exit of the left lane.

Trout Brook Drive (exit 42) is indeed a left exit, but it is not a lane drop. None of the left exits along that stretch of highway are lane drops in the truest sense (what was previously a continuous travel lane leaving the freeway), although there are a couple cases where a lane which was just added as a left entrance drops as the following left exit, and there are a couple of left exits that have extra-long deceleration lanes which are signed as "exit only".

The 275 example shown above isn't an actual lane drop, either... although I will grant you this: 275 in Pinnellas county does have a very bad habit of seemingly randomly picking up and dropping lanes.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Scott5114

The Oklahoma City has quite a few. Most of them are to other freeways, but notably the Shields Blvd and US 77 interchanges on I-35 south of the city are left lane exit only's.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.