News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 169 routing in Kansas City?

Started by Alps, May 03, 2013, 11:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Every map I consult has US 169 on the Broadway Freeway. However, field signage has US 169 following I-635 to US 69. What's going on??

ETA: Broadway Fwy. also has US 169 signage. One of the SB mileposts is 113.6. What the hell??

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

US 169 in KC is a complete clusterfuck.  It has been rerouted 587 times and is not on the quickest route between two points.  Kansas needs to get rid of their ridiculous rule that a state highway cannot enter only one town and reroute 69 and 169 onto the freeways.

route56

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2013, 11:31:11 PM
Every map I consult has US 169 on the Broadway Freeway. However, field signage has US 169 following I-635 to US 69. What's going on??

You mean this?

36382 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr - 10 March 2009

Write it off as laziness on the part of MoDOT. 169 was routed on 7th Street in KCK (meeting up with 635 at the north end of the Fairfax) until the tolls were removed from the Broadway Bridge. 169's official routing is via the Broadway Extension (no one here calls it "Broadway Freeway")

EDIT -- Photo moved from route56.com gallery to flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Alps

Richie, that was one of them, the other one had US 69/169 SB approaching the twin spans Now about that MP 113.6... (It's a shielded milepost, so it was clearly done with intent.)

Revive 755

ETA: Broadway Fwy. also has US 169 signage. One of the SB mileposts is 113.6. What the hell??

I always thought the extra high numbers on those mileposts was so if someone got the route number wrong when reporting an incident, it would be easier to tell which route they were on.  Almost all the routes in that area would have duplicate milepost values since they are near the state line or not that long.

apeman33

Quote from: bugo on May 04, 2013, 03:08:17 AM
US 169 in KC is a complete clusterfuck.  It has been rerouted 587 times and is not on the quickest route between two points.  Kansas needs to get rid of their ridiculous rule that a state highway cannot enter only one town and reroute 69 and 169 onto the freeways.

Wait. That's a rule? Many Kansas highways enter only one town and a few (especially ones leading to state parks like K-277 and K-95) don't enter any town at all. (Or am I misreading you?)

NE2

A state highway cannot exist entirely within the limits of one (or more than one?) town. But if it's part of a longer route via ridiculous routings, that's apparently OK.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

apeman33

Quote from: NE2 on May 04, 2013, 07:33:49 PM
A state highway cannot exist entirely within the limits of one (or more than one?) town. But if it's part of a longer route via ridiculous routings, that's apparently OK.

That's more like I remember. A highway cannot exist entirely within an urban area, even if it crosses a city boundary into another city. It's why the eastern K-150 was decommissioned even though it crosses from Olathe into Overland Park. Once those two cities grew far enough to share a boundary, it was eliminated.

Alps

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 04, 2013, 11:49:32 AM

I always thought the extra high numbers on those mileposts was so if someone got the route number wrong when reporting an incident, it would be easier to tell which route they were on.  Almost all the routes in that area would have duplicate milepost values since they are near the state line or not that long.
They seem okay with having 23 Exit 2's, though. How about Mile A3.6, B3.6, etc.?

J N Winkler

Quote from: apeman33 on May 05, 2013, 03:39:43 AM
Quote from: NE2 on May 04, 2013, 07:33:49 PMA state highway cannot exist entirely within the limits of one (or more than one?) town. But if it's part of a longer route via ridiculous routings, that's apparently OK.

That's more like I remember. A highway cannot exist entirely within an urban area, even if it crosses a city boundary into another city. It's why the eastern K-150 was decommissioned even though it crosses from Olathe into Overland Park. Once those two cities grew far enough to share a boundary, it was eliminated.

State routes in Kansas are composed of state highway (generally rural highway within KDOT jurisdiction) and city connecting links--this particular rule is "no city connecting link without a state highway to connect to" or, alternatively, "no orphan city connecting links."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.