News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which is the best freeway through Orange County to travel on?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, September 17, 2016, 04:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

I wonder which is the best freeway through Orange County to travel on?  Some have suggested Interstate 5, the Santa Ana Freeway which has HOV lanes built since 1999.  I have been in Anaheim and crossed over the Katella Avenue exit or interchange when Caltrans District 8 was rebuilding that interchange, where it used to be an overpass in Anaheim, CA near the Disneyland Resort.  This was from a trip that I took during March of 1999 and seeing the construction of the HOV lanes, there in that city.  It was a great job that Caltrans widened Interstate 5, the Santa Ana Freeway.

sparker

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on September 17, 2016, 04:17:26 PM
I wonder which is the best freeway through Orange County to travel on?
Depends upon where in the county you're traveling to -- or where out of the county you're going.  But avoid CA 91 through the Santa Ana Canyon from 6-10 AM WB and 2:30-7:30 PM EB -- that's a constant!

coatimundi

What about the 22 west of the 405? Seems like a freeway that goes to a surface street quickly and doesn't necessarily go anywhere or connect to anything else in the system could easily be the "best freeway" "to travel on".

Max Rockatansky

CA 73 always seems empty...but that's probably because of the super high tolls.  Sometimes it can be useful if I-405 is backed up to I-5 and not moving. 

DTComposer

Quote from: coatimundi on September 17, 2016, 05:14:39 PM
What about the 22 west of the 405? Seems like a freeway that goes to a surface street quickly and doesn't necessarily go anywhere or connect to anything else in the system could easily be the "best freeway" "to travel on".

Since it almost immediately crosses the L.A. County line, I don't know if it would qualify as an Orange County freeway. But in any case, it is often surprisingly congested, mostly due to CSULB traffic and congestion at the 7th Street/PCH/Bellfower intersection.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 17, 2016, 05:36:05 PM
CA 73 always seems empty...but that's probably because of the super high tolls.  Sometimes it can be useful if I-405 is backed up to I-5 and not moving.

I might vote for the 73. The average speed along there, back in 2011, was 81 mph, which according to Inrix, was the third fastest average speed for a road anywhere in the country. The road itself seems well enough maintained as well.

mrsman

Are you asking this question based on how busy the road is or how scenic the road is?

To me, I have always liked the 55 freeway, but it does get busy at times.

The El Toro Y is also a sight to behold with many lanes, but again quite busy.

And the 91 through Santa Ana Canyon - depsite its great beauty, the traffic will distrupt your mood.  Only take that at 2 AM.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Occidental Tourist

The Richard Nixon Freeway.  Pastoral and never backed up.

coatimundi

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 20, 2016, 12:30:56 AM
The Richard Nixon Freeway.  Pastoral and never backed up.

I believe the same was said about the man. Fiber...

If you're opening it up to tollways, then I prefer 241. It's scenic and a very pleasant drive overall because, just like 73, there's just no one on it.

emory

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 17, 2016, 05:36:05 PM

Agreed. I always take the 73 when heading to/from San Diego. Plus you get a great view from atop the hills.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.