News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York - Interstate 86

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 06:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on June 01, 2009, 06:28:09 AM
Well, there's the traffic signal at "Exit 98" in Parksville...

Last time I passed through Parksville, a few weeks ago, some clearing of trees was being done to start the construction of NY 17/Future I-86.  The new alignment through Parksville will actually pass just south of town, and south of where NY 17 currently is.

Dougtone

Quote from: us44mt on February 01, 2009, 07:16:09 PM
I would think that it can't be a very long stretch as I remember that there are still homes with driveways along the route, I think within 20-25 miles of Binghamton.

I was really thinking of the areas down closer to where I am. The Parksville area is still a problem and many of the exit/entrance ramps in Orange County are sub standard. Exit 122 eastbound is awful.

My understanding is that some of the NY 17 on/off ramps around Rock Hill will be removed starting in 2010 or 2011, due to not being up to standard.

Dougtone

Quote from: dougtone on January 23, 2009, 06:58:28 AM
There is also a section in Chemung County that needs to be upgraded, east of Elmira.

And apparently, the at-grade section of NY 17 between Exit 56 and Exit 59 will be reconstruction beginning this fall.  I want to say that the current westbound lanes will become a service/frontage road, while the freeway will be built on the current eastbound lanes, plus a new alignment next to the current eastbound lanes.  This is similar to the construction that took place on NY 17 between I-81 and NY 79 around 2000.

After that, most construction for the I-86 conversion west of Binghamton should be complete.  No work really needs to be done in Tioga County, and there is some minor bridge work currently taking place around Endicott.  Of course, there's also the reconstruction of the Prospect Mountain interchange (most people call it the Kamikaze Curve), which is where NY 17, I-81, the Chenango River, US 11 and NY 7 all meet up.  Expect a Binghamton road meet once construction begins there.

WNYroadgeek

Quote from: AARoads on April 07, 2009, 12:23:49 PM
That is assuming they would take Interstate 99 north to Interstate 490, then would New York 390 change to New York 99?

That would work as there's no NY 99 at the moment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.