News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

ON 417's Exit Numbers

Started by vdeane, March 14, 2009, 09:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I was in Ottawa over the weekend and I noticed something odd about the way ON 417 has its exit numbers - they are backwards.  Are there any reasons for this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

haljackey

Simple. 417 starts at the Quebec boarder and ends west of Ottawa.  As it is extended further westward (eventually it could go all the way to Manitoba) its easier to make exit numbers because you are just adding them to the existing length.

If it was the other direction, every new extension of the 417 would come with new exit numbers for the entire highway, which would be very costly and confusing.

mightyace

A number of unfinished highways have the exits numbered from the proposed starting point.  Of course, if the powers that be aren't sure how far 417 will eventually go, then this system makes more sense even if it is "backwards."
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

aridawn

There is currently construction going on now to extend the hwy west through Arnprior which is expected to open to traffic sometime late 2012.  Plans are in the works to extend the road west to Renfrew, and then ultimately Pembroke.   Not sure on the time line but I do know some to the mayor's along 17 want a freeway connection to complete the road to Sault Ste-Marie.

Dr Frankenstein

I wonder when (and if) it'll ever get finished all the way to Sault Ste. Marie.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on March 26, 2011, 01:26:49 AM
I wonder when (and if) it'll ever get finished all the way to Sault Ste. Marie.

I honestly don't think that will ever happen.  And if it does, not before 2050 I would think.

vdeane

Looks like ON 17 has the same issues with lines of cars that US 11 has north of Fort Drum.  I don't understand why Ontario is prioritizing this - other provinces have their portions of the Trans-Canada Highway as freeway or at least divided highways, why not Ontario?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

aridawn

Quote from: deanej on March 27, 2011, 02:17:09 PM
Looks like ON 17 has the same issues with lines of cars that US 11 has north of Fort Drum.  I don't understand why Ontario is prioritizing this - other provinces have their portions of the Trans-Canada Highway as freeway or at least divided highways, why not Ontario?

The reason is, Ontario like to spend most of it money in its emconomic centres. Manly Toronto and the Golden Horseshoe.  MTO has a lot of plans in various stages of devolopment or EA studys being done.  Ontario's priority plan at the monent is the 400 corridor to Sudbury, and the Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway and new bridge iin windsor.  Their second priority is the Mid-Peninsula freeway progect. 

On the books to be completed on or before 2020 is: Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway, The Downriver Bridge, ON-407 extension to ON-115/35, completion of the ON-400 Corridor, construction of a new ON-7 freeway from KWC (Kichener/Waterloo/Cambridge) to Guelph, ON-7/8 Stratford bypass, extension of the Collingwood bypass ON-26, Extionsion of ON-404 beyond Ravenshoe Rd to it possible terminus at ON-12. 

As it is, the likely completion of ON-417 will not happen much before 2035 unless another 8-10 car pile-up happens again near Pembroke.  As you can see most of the work the provoince has prioritized, is in and around the GTA.  There was a plan to widen ON-24 to 424 from ON-403 to Cambridge at ON-401, but NIMBY is taking care of that as we speak.

Ontario just anounced a new Premier, The Honourable Kathleen Wynne.  Her platform is mostly Education and the Economey.  the likely chance of any new construction unless othewise already funded and contracted out, is not good.  She has alrealy asked to have an inquiry into the Gas Power Plan work stoppage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.