News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A&P Going Bankrupt Again...second time in 5 years

Started by SteveG1988, July 20, 2015, 12:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

02 Park Ave

The A&P have 300 stores.  They are probably all in the Northeast.  At one time they had 15,000 stores, nationwide.

They have no stores in southern New Jersey anymore.
C-o-H

Pete from Boston

Overpriced stores, often trying to keep obsolete spaces viable and doing a poor job of it.  A&P lost thirty years ago when it tried a bunch of gimmickry instead of expanding stores as was critical at the time.  ShopRite and the return of Stop & Shop (and the arrival of Wegman's, which at least delivers a theme-park atmosphere for its inflated prices) have cleaned its clock. 

I always found Pathmark to have better stores and prices, yet the weaker (in my opinion) A&P instead acquired them.  Pathmark should've rejoined ShopRite instead.

A&P is basically the HoJo's of supermarkets at this point–the original gold standard that couldn't change to keep up with the industry it created.

Zeffy

I feel like there was an A&P in Manville, right next to a Walmart. Like, same complex and everything, too.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NJRoadfan

A&P has a reputation for being expensive compared to the competition, even their sister store Pathmark is a better value! There were rumors that the Delhaize Group was going to buy out the chain and expand into the Mid-Atlantic market, but with them merging with Ahold (Stop&Shop) and retreating from the South Jersey market (closing Bottom Dollar Foods), that likely isn't going to happen.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 20, 2015, 05:59:42 PM

They use the Super Fresh brand in South Jersey.

Roadgeek Adam

The unfortunate part is they are closing two extremely popular Pathmarks, the one in Edison (561 Route 1), which is in a middle of a strip mall and is always busy and the one in Linden.

I know there were rumours of companies like Kroger  jumping at the bit, so it would be nice to see these stores saved rather than closed because A&P doesn't know what it's doing.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 20, 2015, 11:48:26 PM
A&P has a reputation for being expensive compared to the competition, even their sister store Pathmark is a better value! There were rumors that the Delhaize Group was going to buy out the chain and expand into the Mid-Atlantic market, but with them merging with Ahold (Stop&Shop) and retreating from the South Jersey market (closing Bottom Dollar Foods), that likely isn't going to happen.

They did have Pathmark in South Jersey as well: The Deptford store closed during their first bankruptcy.  Of course, many people including the town's mayor blamed Walmart (there are 2 Walmarts in Deptford).  But the town approved the Walmarts, so are they trying to blame themselves?  And it's not like the company's entire bankruptcy was due to Walmart in Deptford. 

Deptford officials still says on occasion that they are trying to get a supermarket to open in their town (ignoring the fact that Walmart is a supermarket).  As there are quite a number of other supermarkets in the adjoining towns there hasn't been too much interest.

I think there were other Pathmarks in South Jersey along with Superfresh, but regardless of the brand name, they all shut down in the first bankruptcy.

SteveG1988

Acme is gaining many of their stores.

A&P (2007 State Route 35, Wall Township, NJ)
A&P (100 Triangle Center, Yorktown, NY)
A&P (137 Lake Street, Midland Park, NJ)
A&P (125 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, NJ)
A&P (1260 Springfield Avenue, New Providence, NJ)
A&P (610 Columbus Avenue, Thornwood, NY)
A&P (2160 Lemoine Avenue, Fort Lee, NJ)
A&P (520 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, NJ)
A&P (660 Mclean Avenue, Yonkers, NY)
A&P (3105 East Main Street, Mohegan Lake, NY)
A&P (123-125 Main Street, Denville, NJ)
A&P (125 18th Street, Jersey City, NJ)
A&P (45 Demercurio Drive, Allendale, NJ)
A&P (2005 Albany Post Road, Croton on Hudson, NY)
A&P (1511 Route 22, Brewster, NY)
A&P (801 Kenilworth Boulevard, Kenilworth NJ)
A&P (907D Oak Tree Road, South Plainfield, NJ)
A&P (5774 Berkshire Valley Road, Jefferson Township, NJ)
A&P (530 Route 515 Unit 1, Vernon, NJ)
A&P (1233 Nepperhan Avenue, Yonkers, NY)
A&P (507 Prospect Avenue, Little Silver, NJ)
A&P (614 Clinton Street, Hoboken, NJ)
A&P (Route 22 and Route 138, Golden Bridge, NY)
A&P (829 Route 82, Hopewell Junction, NY)
A&P (12-14 Cedar Street, Bronxville, NY)
A&P (510 Valley Road, Montclair, NJ)
A&P (1201 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT)
A&P (422 Old Post Road, Bedford, NY)
A&P (3 Village Center, Mahopac, NY)
A&P (1060 Raritan Road, Clark, NJ)
A&P (230 Saw Mill River Road, Millwood, NY)
A&P (5 Ortley Plaza, Ortley Beach, NJ)
A&P (455 Route 23, North Sussex, NJ)
A&P (261 South Ridge Street, Rye Brook, NY)
A&P (160 West Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT)
A&P (1886 Pleasantville Road, Briarcliff Manor, NY)
A&P (152 Route 94, Blairstown, NJ)
A&P (1261 East Putnam Avenue, Riverside, CT)
A&P (777 White Plains Road, Eastchester, NY)
A&P (199 Kinderkamack Road, Park Ridge, NJ)
A&P (103 Knollwood Road, Greenburgh, NY)
A&P (1366 East Main Street, Shrub Oak, NY)
A&P (55 Riverwalk Drive West New York, NJ)
A&P (23 Quaker Ridge Road, New Rochelle, NY)
A&P (Route 44 and North Avenue, Pleasant Valley, NY)
A&P (288 Elm Street, New Canaan, CT)
A&P (990 Shrewsbury Avenue, Tinton Falls, NJ)
A&P (3500 Route #9, Old Bridge, NJ)
A&P (75 Mayhill Street, Saddle Brook, NJ)
A&P (177 Washington Valley Road, Warrenville, NJ)
Pathmark (321 Stadium Plaza, Jersey City, NJ)
Pathmark (58 Broad Way, Elmwood Park, NJ)
Pathmark (481 River Road, Edgewater, NJ)
Pathmark (2101-41 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA)
Pathmark (4100 Park Avenue, Weehawken, NJ)
Pathmark (80 New Bridge Road, Bergenfield, NJ)
Pathmark (281-295 Ferry Street, Newark, NJ)
Pathmark (5100 Wellington Avenue, Ventnor, NJ)
Pathmark (7700 Crittenden Street, Philadelphia, PA)
Pathmark (100 College Square, Newark, DE)
Pathmark (4365 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington , DE)
Pathmark (643 Conchester Highway, Boothwyn, PA)
Superfresh (180 West Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA)
Superfresh (9507 Coastal Highway, Ocean City, MD)
Superfresh (1305 West Chester Pike, Havertown, PA)
Superfresh (609 East Bay Avenue, Manahawkin, NJ)
Superfresh (800 2nd Street, Pike Richboro, PA)
Superfresh (1812 Marsh Road, Wilmington, DE)
Superfresh (305 South Fifth Street, Philadelphia, PA)
Superfresh (800 West Avenue, Ocean City, NJ)
Superfresh (1001 South Street, Philadelphia, PA)
Superfresh (18578 Coastal Highway Rehoboth, DE
Superfresh (2400 Delaware Avenue, Wildwood, NJ)
Superfresh (250 East Lancaster, Wynnewood, PA)
Superfresh (1025 Youngs Ford Road, Gladwyne, PA)
Superfresh (401 New London Road, Newark, DE)
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

thenetwork

I don't remember when A&P entered the Cleveland/NE OH area, but it seemed like that majority of their stores had a "Colonial" look to them on the outside which would probably date them around the late 60's/early 70s.  At that time, there was a lot of competition on the grocery scene:  Fazios, Kroger, Stop & Shop, Heinens and Pick N Pay were the big guns -- A&P never could get a good foothold there.

NJRoadfan

Interesting that Acme/Albertsons would want the locations in North Jersey. They just retreated from this market a few years ago. Heck, that A&P in New Providence was an Acme at one point.

SteveG1988

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 21, 2015, 03:44:54 PM
Interesting that Acme/Albertsons would want the locations in North Jersey. They just retreated from this market a few years ago. Heck, that A&P in New Providence was an Acme at one point.

Well, Acme closed that one down when Supervalu took over. Albertsons is interested in expansion. They've started to remodel stores that need it that already exist, cleaning up stores that needed it badly, like replacing tainted ceiling tiles, refinishing the floors, etc. Supervalu drained the chain when they bought half of Albertsons in 2006. Now Albertsons owns them again, via Cerberus Financial, and is soon to go public again, and they've figured out how to run a store on the east coast, and how to take care of the stores. I talk to the people who work at my local store, and they've loved the changes, the store has more local management instead of having to go through Eden Prarie MN for everything. All of this happened in March 2013. Albertsons also bought Safeway to expand.
Roads Clinched

SignGeek101

A & P used to be in Southern Ontario as well. By 2009 or so, they were all gone, swallowed by other stores (mostly Metro).

02 Park Ave

Super Fresh left here several years ago.  BTW, all of the Super Fresh stores had been A&P's at one time in the past.  The Pathmarks were the last to close down here.
C-o-H

jp the roadgeek

I find it hard to believe that Acme would enter Fairfield County, CT, seeing one of Super-Valu's other subsidiaries, Shaw's, pulled out of there a few years ago.  I can see Big Y or Price Chopper snagging those if they're duplicates of Stop & Shop or Shop Rite.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Pete from Boston

I haven't found an article displaying the consummate list, but it seems the plan is to close or sell ALL locations and close up shop. 

Quote from: thenetwork on July 21, 2015, 03:01:41 PM
I don't remember when A&P entered the Cleveland/NE OH area, but it seemed like that majority of their stores had a "Colonial" look to them on the outside which would probably date them around the late 60's/early 70s.

Those were the "Centennial" design, developed from the late 1950s on.  The buildings are still ubiquitous, though rarely occupied by an A&P.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 21, 2015, 06:54:53 PM

Super Fresh left here several years ago.  BTW, all of the Super Fresh stores had been A&P's at one time in the past.  The Pathmarks were the last to close down here.

There were some Super Fresh supermarkets that were built new.  The one in Glassboro, NJ opened in a new shopping center.  After it closed down, the supermarket become some sort of "fresh food" type grocery store.  It didn't last long.

Road Hog

A&P used to have a big presence in Louisiana. I remember going with my grandmother to one in Baton Rouge when I was little. The little one in the French Quarter was a lifesaver about 10 years ago.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 21, 2015, 08:06:23 PM
I find it hard to believe that Acme would enter Fairfield County, CT, seeing one of Super-Valu's other subsidiaries, Shaw's, pulled out of there a few years ago.  I can see Big Y or Price Chopper snagging those if they're duplicates of Stop & Shop or Shop Rite.

Supervalu Pulled out of anywhere it could get away with it. Albertsons wants to expand their range into these areas again. Acme is seen as the untarnished name to use in the new england states.
Roads Clinched

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 21, 2015, 08:54:03 PM

Supervalu Pulled out of anywhere it could get away with it. Albertsons wants to expand their range into these areas again. Acme is seen as the untarnished name to use in the new england states.

Funny, decades ago I though of Acme as a second-tier supermarket, just because they seemed to have small stores in less-well-off neighborhoods.  My first thought about them moving into so many affluent suburban locations was that people would bristle at the change.  But a good product will trump a brand name, particularly one that has been absent from a lot of these areas.

It's interesting that there's no movement from any of the ShopRites.  I wonder if it's a weakness of ShopRite as an association of companies rather than a single entity that it lacks the centralized capital to move on deals like this.  Then again, they seem to do well enough to not have to over-leverage themselves to succeed.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 21, 2015, 09:05:13 PM

Funny, decades ago I though of Acme as a second-tier supermarket, just because they seemed to have small stores in less-well-off neighborhoods.  My first thought about them moving into so many affluent suburban locations was that people would bristle at the change.  But a good product will trump a brand name, particularly one that has been absent from a lot of these areas.

It's interesting that there's no movement from any of the ShopRites.  I wonder if it's a weakness of ShopRite as an association of companies rather than a single entity that it lacks the centralized capital to move on deals like this.  Then again, they seem to do well enough to not have to over-leverage themselves to succeed.

Acme was THE supermarket in the Philadelphia region for many years.  However, their high prices cost them a lot of business, especially when other supermarket chains, including Shoprite and Walmart, started expanding into the region. 

I have to say I am a bit surprised at Acme's takeover of so many A&P/Superfresh stores.  That's quite an acquisition, especially as they are still working to show that they aren't the highest-priced store on the block.

I think Shoprite has it pretty good right now, personally.  They have enough stores to have a presence in or near most towns, but aren't crowding themselves to the point where they're fighting each other for business. 

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2015, 09:10:12 PM

Acme was THE supermarket in the Philadelphia region for many years.  However, their high prices cost them a lot of business, especially when other supermarket chains, including Shoprite and Walmart, started expanding into the region. 

I have to say I am a bit surprised at Acme's takeover of so many A&P/Superfresh stores.  That's quite an acquisition, especially as they are still working to show that they aren't the highest-priced store on the block.

I think Shoprite has it pretty good right now, personally.  They have enough stores to have a presence in or near most towns, but aren't crowding themselves to the point where they're fighting each other for business. 

Shoprite is a Co-Op. where stores are owned by seperate companies operating under the same banner.
Roads Clinched

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2015, 10:48:25 AM
They did have Pathmark in South Jersey as well: The Deptford store closed during their first bankruptcy.  Of course, many people including the town's mayor blamed Walmart (there are 2 Walmarts in Deptford).  But the town approved the Walmarts, so are they trying to blame themselves?  And it's not like the company's entire bankruptcy was due to Walmart in Deptford. 
I remember when that Pathmark opened.  I grew up with small, old Acmes (and Pantry Pride - remember them?), and I thought at the time (early 80s) that the new Pathmark was so large and modern compared to anything I had seen.  These days the Pathmarks around here seem dated and small, and I am surprised they lasted this long.  I especially liked seeing the aisles of their house "No Frills" brand items with the plain white containers with black letters (clearly the producers of Repo Man shopped there...)

02 Park Ave

I wish Penn Fruit would come back to South Jersey.
C-o-H

SteveG1988

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 22, 2015, 10:21:16 PM
I wish Penn Fruit would come back to South Jersey.

Penn Fruit went poof in 1978.

We have a nice sized Shoprite near me, but i shop at the Acme due to the deli being better in my opinion, and the store brand stuff seems to be of higher quality at times. Plus... Normally there are more people on the register at the Acme. The one near me used to be a Jamesway, and a Grants, and a woolco.

Roads Clinched

Scott5114

But a good product will trump a brand name, particularly one that has been absent from a lot of these areas.

I'm not so sure about that. People will definitely pass up a good product they know nothing about in favor of a mediocre brand they recognize. The devil you know, and all of that. (Case in point: a mom & pop Italian place versus Olive Garden.)

That being said when I think of the name Acme I think of Wile E. Coyote, so there you have it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.