News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

In N Out vs. Five Guys

Started by OCGuy81, September 30, 2015, 11:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Kind of continuing on the Chili's vs. Applebee's debate posted here, which of these two burger chains is your favorite?

I think both are pretty impressive.  I think I enjoy the fries at Five Guys a bit more, as they're cut a little thicker, but overall, I'm still going to go with In N Out.  Great burgers, fries, and the prices are great.

AlexandriaVA

I don't think the comparison is apt. Five Guys is a full-sized burger with a load of toppings (interestingly the default is a double burger). The burgers are cooked (from raw) to order and the fries are bigger (and better).

In N Out is cheaper but less impressive in taste, and the fries don't compare. I view it is a competitor to the Golden Arches. Their orders are cheaper, however, than Five Guys.

Fun fact, I've clinched the original Five Guys outlets in our area (where they originated).

nexus73

In-N-Out is what it's all about!  Oregon just got it's first one in Medford.  The next two will also be on the I-5 corridor (Grants Pass, Roseburg). 

Five Guys came in and so far has not made a real impression on Oregonians.  The one time I ate there it was so noisy and dirty with all those peanut shells on the floor that it just killed any desire to return.  Five Guys has no drive up as well.

None of the chains in Oregon really wows me with their fries.  Wendy's Natural Cuts are as good as I have found here for chain fries.  Indie places sometimes have real good old-fashioned big greasy ones from the Fifties and those are real treasures as well as a pleasure to eat.  The best burger I ever had in Oregon was at Cornucopia in Eugene.  It was made from natural beef with the patty being thick.  Go across the street to Steelhead Brewery for their in-house root beer, then find whoever can make the greasy fries to get the ultimate combo in my eyes!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US71

I've not tried In n Out. For me, CJ's in Russellville, AR beats 5 Guys.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

nexus73

Quote from: US71 on September 30, 2015, 12:05:58 PM

In-N-Out is a big presence in the DFW area.  Maybe you go there sometimes?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

freebrickproductions

I love Five Guys. Never been to In n Out before. Five Guys was actually voted as the best place to get a burger here in Huntsville, AL a few years back, and all of the Five Guys locations I've been to have been rather clean.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

OCGuy81

Quote from: nexus73 on September 30, 2015, 12:13:58 PM

Rick

They're that far east now?  I wasn't aware of that.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 30, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on September 30, 2015, 12:13:58 PM

Rick

They're that far east now?  I wasn't aware of that.

I am very surprised at this too.  But yeah, he's right.  Here's their location guide:  http://www.in-n-out.com/docs/default-source/downloads/Locations_Printable.pdf

signalman

I've never had In N Out before.  I do like Five Guys though.  I think they make a damn good burger and have never left there dissatisfied.  I'll echo nexus73 that it does tend to be noisy in there, (both from the loud music and loud patrons and employees) I've never found one to be dirty though.

1995hoo

I have never been to In n Out. I understand they have locations in Phoenix, so maybe we'll get to one this week to see what all the hype is about.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 30, 2015, 11:15:04 AM
I don't think the comparison is apt. Five Guys is a full-sized burger with a load of toppings (interestingly the default is a double burger). The burgers are cooked (from raw) to order and the fries are bigger (and better).

In N Out is cheaper but less impressive in taste, and the fries don't compare. I view it is a competitor to the Golden Arches. Their orders are cheaper, however, than Five Guys.

That incomparability, plus many In-n-Outs have drive-throughs, while I've never seen one at a Five Guys. Drive-throughs might not be conducive to food quality, but they are a big convenience for me, and besides food quality is not a high priority for me when it comes to fast food.   

I've never been to a Five Guys, but usually on a trip out west I'll do one and only one visit to an In-n-Out.

Fun fact, I've clinched the original Five Guys outlets in our area (where they originated).

Another fun fact, In-n-Out's printable location guide has check boxes to help you track the ones you've been to. As a family-owned regional business, resistant to franchising, clinching all the In-n-Outs is much less of a moving target than for some other chains, though your arteries might still clog up first.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Never been to an In-n-Out, and unless they come to Kentucky, I will likely never get the chance.

I like Five Guys, but it's very expensive for what you get.

Some people throw Smashburger into this comparison scenario. I've had Smashburger once (was within walking distance of a Louisville hotel where I stayed for a conference) and was unimpressed.

To be quite honest, I think Culver's has just as good of a burger as Five Guys.

Quote from: oscar on September 30, 2015, 12:44:15 PM
I've never been to a Five Guys, but usually on a trip out west I'll do one and only one visit to an In-n-Out

And you're right in Five Guys' home area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ET21

No In and Out for me in the area, and I'm not a fan of Five Guys.

I'll go with Chicago Burger Company  :)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

AsphaltPlanet

yeah, i'd say no contest for In'n'Out.  I actually don't very much care for five guys.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

DTComposer

I enjoy both. In N Out's basic burger is slightly tastier, but their lines (both drive-through and in-store) pretty much guarantee a 20 to 30 minute wait for your food.

Five Guys has a lot more variety on their menu, and now they have shakes. I do like Five Guys fries more.

There are two locations of each within easy reach of my house, and all locations are well-staffed and clean.

If you want a really pricey but pretty damn tasty burger for a chain, try The Counter.

OCGuy81

Quote from: DTComposer on September 30, 2015, 05:07:16 PM
I enjoy both. In N Out's basic burger is slightly tastier, but their lines (both drive-through and in-store) pretty much guarantee a 20 to 30 minute wait for your food.

Five Guys has a lot more variety on their menu, and now they have shakes. I do like Five Guys fries more.

There are two locations of each within easy reach of my house, and all locations are well-staffed and clean.

If you want a really pricey but pretty damn tasty burger for a chain, try The Counter.

Say, DTComposer, do you have Habit Burger up there?  I tried one for the first time recently, and those too are worth throwing into the mix alongside In N Out and Five Guys.

Scott5114

You're not going to get much of a meaningful response in this thread because Five Guys is much more prolific than In N Out. There's a Five Guys within a ten-minute drive of me and the nearest In N Out is an hour and a half away in another state (and I'm comparatively close to them).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

nexus73

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 30, 2015, 05:11:55 PM

Say, DTComposer, do you have Habit Burger up there?  I tried one for the first time recently, and those too are worth throwing into the mix alongside In N Out and Five Guys.

Habit has been slow to expand considering they are a franchise and that their burger was voted as the tastiest.  I have yet to try one but a close friend of mine did.  He said they were good. 

Rick

Duke87

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 30, 2015, 07:47:52 PM
You're not going to get much of a meaningful response in this thread because Five Guys is much more prolific than In N Out. There's a Five Guys within a ten-minute drive of me and the nearest In N Out is an hour and a half away in another state (and I'm comparatively close to them).

Given the propensity of some of us to travel, the response will be better here than in your average forum. I've eaten at In N Out and I live 1500 miles away from the nearest one.

As for the aptness of the comparison, In N Out and Five Guys are very similar in my mind for this reason: both have a menu which is focused entirely on burgers. Neither offer any chicken options, unlike most burger-type fast food places in the US.
Since I do not eat burgers, this is very significant for me personally. It means that neither is terribly attractive to me since if I order food from one all I will get is fries.

But on that note, Five Guys has better fries than In N Out.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

noelbotevera

In-N-Out...the closest one is too far away to be worth it. I really don't want to drive 1000 miles till I get a driver's license. Five Guys is 21 miles away from me in Hagerstown and I love it. They have those new touchscreen Coke machines, peanuts are served, and I love their burgers and fries.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

DTComposer

Quote from: nexus73 on September 30, 2015, 08:35:32 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 30, 2015, 05:11:55 PM

Habit has been slow to expand considering they are a franchise and that their burger was voted as the tastiest.  I have yet to try one but a close friend of mine did.  He said they were good. 

Rick

Forgot about Habit! I used to go to both the Long Beach and Torrance locations.

They do have them up here - not a location terribly convenient to my home or work, but very possible if I'm running other errands. I need to remember to keep them on my list.

Rothman

Five Guys trounces In-N-Out.  The burgers and fries are much, much tastier at Five Guys.  In-N-Out is a notch above Burger King, if that.

I think In-N-Out has simply done a good job at developing a fan base -- a fan base that lives in constant fear of a tastier burger. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SD Mapman

In n Out has a much better burger, in my opinion. When I went to Five Guys, I came away feeling like I was going to get a heart attack in the next 30 minutes; as the burgers and fries were ridiculously greasy (and I didn't think they tasted particularly good). Seriously, that sat in my stomach for the rest of the day and probably half the day after that.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Jardine

I concur.

The 5 Guys fries I had were so greasy as to be inedible.

Seriously, I did not eat more than a couple to confirm they were that bad.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.