News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Finally beaten Minesweeper in expert mode!

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, October 26, 2015, 04:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

After hours of procrastination, thousands of flags raised and tons of explosiæ* (and thus games lost), at last I've managed to beat the expert mode of the good old Minesweeper. That game took 206 seconds (3:26 minutes) to be completed, far from the world record. Now I feel realized.

* Of all the words coined in the 'Plurals' thread, my favorite is what I call the 'explosive series'. Taking 'explosion' as a base, Duke87 coined 'explosia', and I coined 'explosiæ'.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

How large is the Expert grid (dimensions and number of mines)?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CNGL-Leudimin

16x30 with 99 mines. So many.

PS Off-Topic: Not only your signature has Unicode characters, but also mine. In fact, every damn written thing in the internet has Unicode characters.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

froggie

That's nice. Now try it in custom mode in 24x30 with 149 mines...

SignGeek101

I used to play that game. I was never good at it, and never really got it.

Congrats.

Duke87

I'm kinda surprised you've never done this before. What have you been wasting your finite existence doing instead? :-P

My best time at clearing Expert Minesweeper is 150 seconds, achieved on August 27, 2007 at approximately 11:20 PM (thank you screenshot metadata).

Been years since I've played, though. I tend to avoid such timewasting distractions these days - and besides which, newer versions of Windows don't come with it preloaded, so it isn't even on my current computer. I could go and harvest the EXE off an older machine, but why bother?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alex

Our mutual friend (dbrim on the forum here) introduced me to Jake back in 2006 and the first thing I recall about him that he was a record holder for Minesweeper.

Alps

My Expert record I think was in the 60s. I know my Beginner record was 6 and my Intermediate was in the low 30s.
My favorite version was max size (24x30) and 200 bombs. It was a nice step up from Expert with just a few guesses but also a few islands and some really fun gameplay. I beat that about 7 times in my playing days.

formulanone

Twice I'd come to the final two spots of expert-level Minesweeper, and had chosen incorrectly both times.

At some point, your realize your strengths lay elsewhere, and I don't think I've played since (that was on Windows 3.1, so it's been a while).

mrsman

A game that I haven' t played in a long time.

An old job did not remove the games that were loaded on the machine, so during slow times, I got familiar with the game and did pretty well.

My current job has removed all pre-installed games, so I don't have the same time.

But in this day, there are much more interesting games to play and theads on this forum to read, so haven't played minesweeper in a while.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.