News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Development of Highway Legislation in Arkansas

Started by bugo, June 10, 2014, 09:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

M86

Quote from: bugo on June 10, 2014, 09:05:10 AM
http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/policy_analysis/publications/dev%20hwy%20legislation.pdf

Lots of good info here.

Saved it for reading tomorrow.

I have to say that this state is messed up when it comes to departments, the governor, etc.  I can't quite figure out the "chain of command"... It just seems like its just whatever.

bjrush

Governor appoints commissioners

commission directs the director of AHTD
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on June 15, 2014, 09:30:34 PM

Thank you... I've read things about how the Governor has little power here (when it comes to the state lawmakers)

I'm sick of the old guys...  Clean. The. House.

bugo

Quote from: M86 on June 19, 2014, 02:14:29 AM

+1

This not only applies to Arkansas, but also to my adopted state of Oklahoma.  Oklahoma's legislature somehow manages to be even worse than Arkansas' legislature.

bjrush

Oklahoma government is just a poor man's Arkansas government. OK even admits they just copied and pasted Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality when they made ODEQ, for example
Woo Pig Sooie

bjrush

Quote from: M86 on June 19, 2014, 02:14:29 AM
Quote from: bjrush on June 15, 2014, 09:30:34 PM

Thank you... I've read things about how the Governor has little power here (when it comes to the state lawmakers)

That is what they have tried to do via term limits in the house and senate, but Arkansas highway commissioners get 10 year terms so it is very slow to cycle
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

No wonder the south is the last in everything.  GRRRR.

bjrush

With all due respect, why did you move here? You seem to hate just about everything the South/Arkansas has to offer
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

This sounds like a great opportunity to interject something about Amendment 42 to the Arkansas Constitution. It's the Mack-Blackwell Amendment that set-up the Arkansas Highway Commission as it stands today.

Check it out here: http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4149

Has there been "troubled waters" in the history of AHTD? Yes. Mack-Blackwell has solved most, if not all of this.

Read up on it and we'll be glad to answer any questions.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

M86

Quote from: bjrush on June 30, 2014, 09:41:33 AM
With all due respect, why did you move here? You seem to hate just about everything the South/Arkansas has to offer
I'm sorry that I came off as negative... and my last post was uncalled for, I'll admit that.
I came to NWA like most... Jobs/growth.
I'm quick to judge the streets, roads, and highways here based on what I'm used to and what I've encountered in my travels.

I hate stereotypes of all kinds, and I need to shed myself of them.

The only thing I hate about down here is the damn heat! :)

AHTD

Look at it this way...

You, among other others have an AMAZING opportunity to shape NWA as it continues to grow. Many folks have migrated from both coasts and Chicago, expecting all the comforts of home to follow you.

Study the history of the region- it's just now coming alive. They will get there... already the area enjoys more amenities than Central Arkansas. The demand is there.

So don't criticize because it's not what you are used to in a former life, be excited that the area is just now exploding with growth and you are there to witness it all.

And by the way... we are GLAD you're here! Arkansas is a wonderful state and a great place to raise a family.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

I moved to Arkansas from what most people would consider a more "refined" state

All I have found is more nice folks, history, culture, warm weather, opportunities and amazing scenery than I ever could've imagined. Now I can't imagine living anywhere else

It just comes down to what's important to you. For me, the above is the definition of "quality of life" to me. Other states can beat their chests over having 5% more residents with bachelor's degrees, 10% less smoking population or 10% less adult obesity, but I wouldn't trade the above to bump a few spots in the Census.

Everywhere has it's problems, and Arkansas is no exception. But our society loves to pick on the Southern states while often giving the Northern ones a pass. Who doesn't know about Selma, Alabama? But how many know about Cicero, Illinois? Why it is this way, I don't know and I don't much care. I know where I want to be, and everyone else can believe what they want to believe.
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

I think we as NWAs give AHTD a hard time without remembering Arkansas is mostly a poor state with a huge highway system. If anyone has attended an AHTD meeting the state is vastly short on funds and works the best it can. They are trying to keep up with the population explosion with NWA but there is only so much money. And despite some of is bashing AHTD, they ar still on this site releasing information and responding to our questions. That's a classy move by AHTD. I don't see MOdot posting about I-49 or widening I-70. Although I don't always agree with their decisions, I have the utmost respect for AHTD and what it tries to accomplish with the little resources it has.

iPhone

M86

Quote from: AHTD on July 01, 2014, 06:28:41 PM
Look at it this way...

You, among other others have an AMAZING opportunity to shape NWA as it continues to grow. Many folks have migrated from both coasts and Chicago, expecting all the comforts of home to follow you.

Study the history of the region- it's just now coming alive. They will get there... already the area enjoys more amenities than Central Arkansas. The demand is there.

So don't criticize because it's not what you are used to in a former life, be excited that the area is just now exploding with growth and you are there to witness it all.

And by the way... we are GLAD you're here! Arkansas is a wonderful state and a great place to raise a family.
AHTD, you are amazing.  You're like the Applebees on Facebook!

I have been lucky enough to go to Devil's Den State Park (and no fee!) and the Monte Ne site... I love ghost towns!  And free State Parks!

I'll admit I get wrapped up in the congestion here, and the studies, and looking up random stuff.

On a road note, the "Fayetteville Flyover" is open now, and it looks great (from the news reports). 

AHTD, are you going to remove the jughandle at College Ave & Joyce Blvd?  Everyone treated that as a right turn lane, not as its intended use.  If removed, it would create less access points.

Arkansas is a great place to live... http://benstarr.com/blog/big-creek-cave-falls-the-easy-way/ ... I want to go there!

US71

Quote from: M86 on July 03, 2014, 03:31:01 AM
Quote from: AHTD on July 01, 2014, 06:28:41 PM
Look at it this way...

AHTD, you are amazing.  You're like the Applebees on Facebook!

I have been lucky enough to go to Devil's Den State Park (and no fee!) and the Monte Ne site... I love ghost towns!  And free State Parks!

I'll admit I get wrapped up in the congestion here, and the studies, and looking up random stuff.

On a road note, the "Fayetteville Flyover" is open now, and it looks great (from the news reports). 

AHTD, are you going to remove the jughandle at College Ave & Joyce Blvd?  Everyone treated that as a right turn lane, not as its intended use.  If removed, it would create less access points.

The jughandle makes a good right-turn lane for Eastbound Joyce Blvd.  I say keep it, but post "No Left Turn".
Besides, most people I see make a U-Turn at the signal.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mrsman

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 02, 2014, 03:52:44 AM
I think we as NWAs give AHTD a hard time without remembering Arkansas is mostly a poor state with a huge highway system. If anyone has attended an AHTD meeting the state is vastly short on funds and works the best it can. They are trying to keep up with the population explosion with NWA but there is only so much money. And despite some of is bashing AHTD, they ar still on this site releasing information and responding to our questions. That's a classy move by AHTD. I don't see MOdot posting about I-49 or widening I-70. Although I don't always agree with their decisions, I have the utmost respect for AHTD and what it tries to accomplish with the little resources it has.

iPhone

I agree.  It's a very classy move that AHTD is participating in this forum and is answering our questions in a very forthright manner.  I'm not terribly familiar with this part of the country, but I tend to read through most of these posts to get some general insight into the way that the highway departments think.

As far as I'm aware, there is no official representative of any other state highway department on this forum at all.

M86

Quote from: US71 on July 03, 2014, 11:56:11 AM
The jughandle makes a good right-turn lane for Eastbound Joyce Blvd.  I say keep it, but post "No Left Turn".
Besides, most people I see make a U-Turn at the signal.

They do/did (The U-turn). The jughandle put in never served its purpose.  But by having that, it creates more areas/points for collisions... There's a technical term for that among engineers, and I can't think of it.

I'd get rid of the jughandle, and install a right turn lane... Dual right turn lanes, if needed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.