News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on SR 641 Terre Haute Bypass

Started by US 41, March 31, 2014, 07:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Well as slow as this project has been it looks like construction will finally begin on the last 2 phases of SR 641 this year. All the trees have successfully been cleared. Power line poles are currently being moved. The delay was caused because of 3 reasons. The first was that the Indiana bat was found along the construction limits. The 2nd reason was because of wetlands. The US Engineering Corps took forever to approve the 641 routing. The 3rd reason was because a lawyer was angry the highway was going through his property and claimed the state gave him less than what the property was worth. It went to court and the judge sided with INDOT.

Now that all that crap is out of the way, SR 641 construction is about to begin. Since I live in Terre Haute I will keep you all updated on the project.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mukade

The roadway designed to circumvent southside Terre Haute's traffic congestion and connect major transportation arteries to the city's south and east won't be completed for nearly another three years. If popularity of the portion of Indiana 641 already open is any indication, that completion date will be eagerly anticipated...

Still a long road: Completion of Terre Haute's $150 million bypass almost 3 years away (Indiana Economic Digest)

SW Indiana

Geez... I remember that road being worked on when I drove to ISU weekly....8 years ago!

US 41

Dirt work has started at the future SR 641 / 46 interchange. The section from SR 46 to I-70 is supposed to have lane restrictions on or after June 30th according to a sign. Power line removal is pretty much done. Now just 2-3 more years and it will all be done. I think the first project is supposed to be building Tucker Street (the east side frontage road). Once the overpass is finished at the SR 46 interchange, Moyer Drive will be shut down and they will begin work on the Moyer Drive overpass. The whole project is supposed to be finished in 2016. I'm not sure if the section from McDaniel - SR 46 will be opened before that date or not (dirt work has started on that section too).

bmeiser

The company my dad works for own the contract for phase 4. I'm sure I'll be hearing stories about the ups and downs of this project for the next few years. I know he will be feeling the pressure!

westerninterloper

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

US 41

To add to this. They have poured blacktop on the future 641 north of McDaniel Road at least up to Feree Road. The future ramps at McDaniel are also paved. As mentioned on the video you now have to use the future eastbound 70 to southbound 641 ramp to get on 46 north. SR 641 has moved along at a snails pace, but at least they are getting closer to completing it. It was supposed to be complete by the end of 2014, but I knew it would take longer. It took about 8 years to open up the US 41 - McDaniel section.

mgk920

Are there plans to eventually extend this northward as a full US 41 bypass?

Mike

jnewkirk77

Quote from: mgk920 on September 03, 2015, 12:01:24 AM

Mike

Last I heard, it's on the "dream list," but dreams cost $$$ and big ones at that ... not saying it'll never happen, but I HIGHLY doubt it becomes a reality in my lifetime.

US 41

Quote from: mgk920 on September 03, 2015, 12:01:24 AM

Mike

Plans yes. Reality no. The fact is that north of US 40 (Wabash) there are a lot of houses and along Clinton St (old 41 north of Terre Haute) there is no good place for the road to cross over, because of all the houses up there. They would be better off making a bypass on the west side of Terre Haute. Since the west side of the river is basically all wetlands from the river I highly doubt Terre Haute will ever have a real bypass for US 41 / SR 63. 3rd Street will probably always be US 41.

The Ghostbuster

I reported on Midwest-Great Lakes/Indiana Notes that SR 641 is going to become Interstate 170. I won't repeat what I said there, but should SR 641 be an Interstate Highway? I'm not so sure.

US 41

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2015, 05:12:22 PM
I reported on Midwest-Great Lakes/Indiana Notes that SR 641 is going to become Interstate 170. I won't repeat what I said there, but should SR 641 be an Interstate Highway? I'm not so sure.

I think it should. It will meet interstate standards. It would've been I-69 had it come to Terre Haute.

2trailertrucker

I hope it becomes an interstate, only to avoid what happened to the Kokomo Bypass years ago.

NE2

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on September 03, 2015, 10:47:10 PM
I hope it becomes an interstate, only to avoid what happened to the Kokomo Bypass years ago.
The new Kokomo bypass isn't an Interstate...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

2trailertrucker

Quote from: NE2 on September 04, 2015, 12:39:33 AM
Quote from: 2trailertrucker on September 03, 2015, 10:47:10 PM
The new Kokomo bypass isn't an Interstate...

True, but being limited access, it isn't littered with lights and left turns that slow or stop the flow of traffic like the first Kokomo bypass (now SR 931) did.

US 41

SR 641 is being built as an interstate. If it's signed as an interstate or not, it will always be limited access. They wouldn't be building interchanges on it and overpasses over/under county highways if they were just going to let businesses build on it.

I wish INDOT would've extended SR 641 north to Wabash Ave (US 40) and put interchanges up at New Margaret and SR 42. When you allow Walmart to build on the highway, that's just the beginning of a disaster. Unfortunately the city leaders (I've talked to them about this subject before) want stoplights on SR 46 between I-70 and US 40. They are trying to negotiate with the state to build a northeastern bypass around 2025. I always ask why build the bypass if the whole east side is just going to be littered with stoplights? At the worst (hopefully) there will be 9 too many stoplights on SR 46 on the east side of town. I guess that's still better than what's on 3rd Street, but it would be better to have 0, which has always been my plan when talking to city leaders. Unfortunately they never seem to agree with me.

Now I'm going to talk about south of SR 641 (between Sullvan County and SR 641 on US 41). Anyone can build on US 41 that wants to. Frontage roads are not required in Vigo County. The counties south of Vigo County have smarter leaders. They decided to make a no build law on US 41 from Sullivan to Vincennes. That means that frontage roads are required down there. Pretty smart if you ask me. In Vigo County though we let anyone build anywhere they want to. So Vigo County and Terre Haute are their own worst enemies.

So you guys shouldn't be concerned with what happens on SR 641 as it is limited access. You should be concerned with what happens around the bypass, mainly on the north (SR 46) and south (US 41) sides of the bypass.

andy

Idle curiosity: Its been 30 years since I more than passed through Terre Haute.  Was this bypass designed when they were trying to attract I69?  I'm sure someone will love this road, but I don't see much purpose in it. Has the east side has grown that much in the last 30 years?

2trailertrucker

Traffic going from Indy to Evansville (cars and trucks) use I 70 west to US 41 south. 41 is now littered with malls, shopping centers and the like all the way down to Allendale. The bypass is very much needed. It comes to US 41 at the old ISP post which is a rural area.

It will be used once it opens up. No doubt!

Pete from Boston

It will be interesting to see how traffic counts change here when 69 is complete to Indianapolis.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 07, 2015, 01:08:14 AM
It will be interesting to see how traffic counts change here when 69 is complete to Indianapolis.

I think that the traffic counts should start changing when I 69 connects to SR 37 this year.
The last time I ran I 69, there was quite a bit of traffic from Bloomfield on south to I 64.
Those that are going to Sullivan, Vincennes, etc will still use the bypass.

Henry

I don't think it will become I-170 unless there's a credible source that can confirm this. And Terre Haute is too far off to be served by I-69, so there you go.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ARMOURERERIC

The southern trumpet at US 41 appears to be designed in a manner that would allow southern extensions.

US 41

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on September 07, 2015, 04:31:05 PM

I think that the traffic counts should start changing when I 69 connects to SR 37 this year.
The last time I ran I 69, there was quite a bit of traffic from Bloomfield on south to I 64.

What will be the fastest way to get from Vincennes to Indianapolis; SR 67, US 41/I-70 or US 50/I-69?

westerninterloper

Google Maps says that Vincennes to Indy via TH is 130 miles; via Bloomington (and SR 45), 136 miles; these mileages will likely decrease slightly with the completion of the respective highways. SR 67 is the shortest route, but it has more stops and takes quite a bit longer, maybe 30 minutes. It's one of the prettiest fall drives in Indiana, with light truck traffic, but it is still mostly two lanes, with a few passing lanes.

Once I-69 is fully complete, it will be a stoplight-free route from Vincennes to Indy, though SR641 will mean that motorists only have four lights to go through between Vincennes and I-70; it'll probably take almost the same amount of time, but anyone north of Vincennes should go up 41/150. 

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

andy

Quote from: westerninterloper on September 10, 2015, 11:40:44 AM

Google Maps says that Vincennes to Indy via TH is 130 miles; via Bloomington (and SR 45), 136 miles; these mileages will likely decrease slightly with the completion of the respective highways. SR 67 is the shortest route, but it has more stops and takes quite a bit longer, maybe 30 minutes. It's one of the prettiest fall drives in Indiana, with light truck traffic, but it is still mostly two lanes, with a few passing lanes.

Once I-69 is fully complete, it will be a stoplight-free route from Vincennes to Indy, though SR641 will mean that motorists only have four lights to go through between Vincennes and I-70; it'll probably take almost the same amount of time, but anyone north of Vincennes should go up 41/150.
Another route to consider when I69 is complete will be Bloomington/Bloomfield. I'm not sure the route you used after getting onto 45 south of Bloomington for 136 miles, but if you get off to SR54 and go through Bloomfield to SR67, the mileage shows 122. This will be close to the same when I69 to SR445 is available with the advantage of a fast escape of Indy (vice SR67 through Mooresville and Spencer) and the relatively open SR67 near Vincennes. The only real slow down will be Bloomfield.

Also, not sure I've followed your thoughts, but when 69 is complete, a traveler staying on it will need to use US50 from Washington to Vincennes.  IIRC, that will be five lights (for now; exit, Bus50, SR257, SR57, Wheatland).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.