PA - US 219 Expressway Could Begin This Year

Started by PAHighways, January 20, 2010, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

Regarding the 219 / Turnpike interchange, what is the "official"/preferred current connection routing?  It seems from GSV that the Turnpike is signed on 219 at the exit about 2 miles north of Somerset, routing people via PA 601.  Meanwhile, it appears if you're coming from the Turnpike, signage directs you through Somerset to 219 via PA 281.  It would seem that this wouldn't be preferable to Somerset for the truck traffic in that direction.  Was there possible intention that the long exit ramp/roadway from 219 to 601 be possibly extended across 601 to the SW to connect to the Turnpike, taking advantage of a less developed area (although a much longer distance, and possible other significant constraints)?

Tom958

Quote from: wphiii on October 13, 2014, 04:48:18 PMI hope I-68 doesn't get too popular, I like how empty it is now  :)

Judging from the discussion in the I-68 thread, maybe you'll get your wish.  :hmmm:

Quote from: Roadrunner75Regarding the 219 / Turnpike interchange, what is the "official"/preferred current connection routing?  It seems from GSV that the Turnpike is signed on 219 at the exit about 2 miles north of Somerset, routing people via PA 601.  Meanwhile, it appears if you're coming from the Turnpike, signage directs you through Somerset to 219 via PA 281.  It would seem that this wouldn't be preferable to Somerset for the truck traffic in that direction.

And, for the DC-Pittsburgh axis, the shortest route would be via former US 219, which has no route number now except for a bicycle route.  :-o

QuoteWas there possible intention that the long exit ramp/roadway from 219 to 601 be possibly extended across 601 to the SW to connect to the Turnpike, taking advantage of a less developed area (although a much longer distance, and possible other significant constraints)?

I didn't notice that, but it seems like a credible theory, especially since the signs on US 219 mention only the Turnpike and its Interstate routes and control cities, not PA 601, Somerset or any other local town (there's a brown supplemental sign for "Somerset Historical Center," though the PA 281 interchange is the one that's signed as being for Somerset).

That connection would be a shortcut for what little traffic goes between the Turnpike westward and 219 northward, too. Maybe the idea will be resurrected at some point. Who knows? Maybe they'll even eliminate the at-grade intersection at PA 601, as un-Pennsylvania as that'd be.

Next item: Breezewood. Without knowing, I'd guess that through traffic on the Turnpike is reluctant to patronize the businesses at Breezewood because connecting from Breezewood to the Turnpike westward requires backtracking for nearly two miles on the former Turnpike roadway. Therefore, I suspect that Breezewood's businesses rely mainly on I-70 traffic. If I-70 traffic starts diverting to 68-219 instead, they'll suffer mightily. However, if the I-70-Turnpike connection was reconstructed in in such a way as to allow access from the Turnpike to the I-70-Breezewood connection instead of to the former Turnpike roadway, then it would shorten the backtracking by a mile or so, and Turnpike traffic might be more inclined to make a stop at Breezewood.

We had to destroy Breezewood in order to save it.  :bigass:

OTOH, maybe spending $100m or more to improve I-70 after much of the traffic has decamped for another route isn't such a great plan.  :spin:

In case anyone finds it useful, I made this sophisticated graphic illustrating the corridor, with Breezewood marked appropriately:

Bitmapped

Quote from: Tom958 on October 11, 2014, 07:07:07 AM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 07, 2014, 09:24:39 PM
Leaders rev up for final stage of Route 219 South

The way page 2 of this article makes it sound, Maryland seems more financially determined/capable of getting actual work done on the Meyersdale/I-68 section than PA.  (And the re-established web page for the project has a section showing maps of possible temporary "tie-ins" should all the work not be done at once)

Well, yeah. PA would do the fiscal heavy lifting and endure most of the impacts, while MD would receive substantial benefit.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'd like to think that somewhere there's an analysis of the potential for for diversion of I-70 traffic to the US 219-I-68 corridor. Right now, according to Google Maps, the latter route (using the Garrett Shortcut) is only eight miles and eighteen minutes longer than I-70 and avoids $4.49 in tolls ($6.45 for those who don't use EZPass). Completion of the Meyersdale-Somerset section will further shorten the travel time. Beyond that, the 219-68 route will likely become more appealing when construction begins at the Allegheny Tunnel and/or six-laning the Turnpike.

It isn't often that a highway project has such potential for rearranging a significant portion of a region's highway network, and the ramifications fascinate me.

I know I'm digging up a couple month old thread, but here goes...

Speaking as a frequent I-68 traveler and Morgantown resident, I don't think this new US 219 routing is really going to result in much of a shift in routings on a network basis.  For Morgantown-Somerset, I-68/WV 26/PA 281 is currently the preferred routing.  The new US 219 freeway will still be 10-12 miles longer, but given they'll have a better alignment and will allow driving at 65mph, I could see them becoming preferred or at least competitive. 

For Morgantown-Harrisburg, I-68/I-70/I-81 is the preferred routing now.  US 219 to the PA Turnpike wouldn't offer any real advantages and you'd have to pay tolls.

For Pittsburgh-DC traffic, I would expect diversion to a US 219/I-68 routing to be small.  I-68 has a many more mountain crossings.  Somerset and Garrett Counties get a lot of snow, and I-68 is prone to very dense fog from Keysers Ridge to Frostburg pretty much any time of the year.  Especially without a direct Turnpike interchange, I think most people are probably going to just figure that US 219 isn't worth the hassle.

ARMOURERERIC

FWIW, Back from 1985-1996, I made frequent trips from DC to Pittsburgh, once 68 was finished east of Cumberland, I switched from 270-70-70/76, off at PA8 to a 270-70-68-40-43-70-79 off at Mt Nebo Rd route.  it took EXACTLY t same amount of time, had only the toll on 43, and was sooooo much less stressful than the PA Pike.  Now that you got 43 down into Uniontown, I bet it is easier still.  AND I bet, with still at only 4 lanes from Somerset to New Stanton, the PA pike is significantly worse.

1995hoo

Quote from: Bitmapped on March 22, 2015, 10:51:12 AM

For Pittsburgh-DC traffic, I would expect diversion to a US 219/I-68 routing to be small.  I-68 has a many more mountain crossings.  Somerset and Garrett Counties get a lot of snow, and I-68 is prone to very dense fog from Keysers Ridge to Frostburg pretty much any time of the year.  Especially without a direct Turnpike interchange, I think most people are probably going to just figure that US 219 isn't worth the hassle.

I suspect "most people" won't even know the option exists since it's not how they've gone for however many years. It's always interesting when the Washington Post's Dr. Gridlock column features alternates to the I-95/NJ Turnpike route to New York and people write in to say they had no idea you could go through Pennsylvania. Same principle would apply here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ARMOURERERIC

Is there any type of progress site for the Somerset to Meyersdale portion?

BigRedDog

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 22, 2015, 06:18:37 PM
Is there any type of progress site for the Somerset to Meyersdale portion?

I don't know of any progress site, but this video was released back in January. It's an aerial view of the construction zone starting at the south end (just north of Meyersdale) moving north. (Credit: Joseph B. Fey Co., as found on the (Somerset) Daily American website.)

okc1

continental1.org has links to press reports on the project.  It is an advocacy page, so problems and delays would not necessarily be reported.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

ARMOURERERIC

I do know that the structures contract has been awarded.

BrianP

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 23, 2015, 11:21:49 AM
I do know that the structures contract has been awarded.
From the press release the real work should soon be starting up.
QuoteConstruction on this phase of the contract is anticipated to begin with tree cutting over the winter months followed by the main construction activities in Spring 2015.

Mr_Northside

Some pictures, though most are ~1 year old now.  (I don't think I saw this posted before)
http://greatercc.org/assets/SR-6219-020-Update.pdf
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Henry

If the expressway ever reaches I-68, it would more than make up for the failure to extend I-99 south to Cumberland!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I doubt there are plans to extend the 219 freeway south of Meyersdale or even north of Ebensburg. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never been anywhere near those places.

wphiii

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 30, 2015, 04:56:27 PM
I doubt there are plans to extend the 219 freeway south of Meyersdale or even north of Ebensburg. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never been anywhere near those places.

There aren't actual concrete plans in place to do that as of right now, but the Continental 1 folks (and others, I'm sure) are definitely lobbying hard for it.

qguy

Quote from: wphiii on April 30, 2015, 05:59:32 PM
There aren't actual concrete plans in place to do that as of right now, but the Continental 1 folks (and others, I'm sure) are definitely lobbying hard for it.

North of Ebensburg, no, but south of Meyersdale, I think this qualifies as plans.

froggie

Definitely being studied again.  But I'd stop short of calling them actual plans unless they're funded (my guess from the project website is "no").

qguy

When I worked in the PennDOT District 6 office, we would refer to projects that were funded only to the study or initial design phase as plans. As in, "We have plans to build a facility paralleling route XX." A project still in location studies would be said to be "in early planning."

But semantics can come and go, and it's certain that the informal terminology that transportation agencies use internally changes from state to state, so I suppose you can call them plans or intentions, or anything else you like, no worries. If the project isn't in at least the initial design phase, you can certainly make the case that there aren't really "plans."

As to what step in the process this particular project is funded to (location study, initial design, etc.), the one to ask is District 9's CRC (Community Relations Coordinator), Tara Callahan-Henry. She can be reached at 814-696-7101.

Henry

Quote from: qguy on April 30, 2015, 06:31:38 PM
Quote from: wphiii on April 30, 2015, 05:59:32 PM

North of Ebensburg, no, but south of Meyersdale, I think this qualifies as plans.
Well, at least it would complete the expressway all the way to I-68.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

BigRedDog

According to the Joseph B. Fay Company facebook page, the bridge construction phase has begun.

See more - including a picture - here: https://www.facebook.com/140742682673246/photos/a.143853109028870.39165.140742682673246/835975806483260/?type=1&permPage=1

Bitmapped

They've been widening the existing US 219 bridges at the northern end of the Meyersdale bypass for months.

BrianP

It looks like Maryland is going to do it's part of this route. 
QuoteFollowing through on his campaign pledge to provide funding for highways and state-owned local roads, Governor Larry Hogan today announced $1.97 billion for highways and bridges from Western Maryland to the Eastern Shore. The priority projects, which will get underway by 2018...
QuoteUS 219 - Upgrading US 219 north of I-68 and building a new interchange at I-68 (Garrett County's #1 priority);
http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/News/Releases2015/2015June25_Hogan_Announces_Nearly_2Billion_for_Roads.html

ARMOURERERIC

I lived in MD from 1985-91, and dang what a smart list.   Maybe next cycle they can find a way to hook up with VA and WV to complete the missing link in US 340.

Rothman

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 17, 2015, 10:06:08 PM
I lived in MD from 1985-91, and dang what a smart list.   Maybe next cycle they can find a way to hook up with VA and WV to complete the missing link in US 340.

You should keep track of what projects they actually do and what ones slip.  You'd be amazed with how many projects are announced with great fanfare and then are delayed, delayed, delayed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mr_Northside

Took I-68 & US-219 on the way back from Chincoteage, VA this last weekend.  The pics aren't great, but this is what is going on....

Approaching the north end of the Meyersdale bypass, going under the Great Allegheny Passage, where the construction begins....

The barrier where traffic gets routed 2-way across the NB bridge over Bus/Old US-219.

Crossing over the widened bridge (with some new lights)

It was hard to tell while driving, but this looks to utilize the new NB side off-ramp to Bus-219.  Also neat supersize keystone shields for the 4-digit state routes put up for the construction.

From current US-219 north of Garrett; the construction of the piers to cross over the valley the current road is in.  I think there is an article posted saying this will be the highest crossing in Somerset County when done.

I traversed up Crossroad School Rd to get this shot of the embankment & earthwork north of where the new highway crosses the valley (with the one pier visible in the lower right corner).

A look at where 219 will start bridging the valley, starting with crossing Crossroad School Rd.

Further north, just west of the intersection with Garrett Shortcut Rd.... The overpasses over E. Mud Pike look built (with a lot more needed done before there's road on either side of them).  Last I saw any plans, there will be an interchange here.

From the spot in the prior picture, looking south at some of the earthwork.

I wanted to get a pic of the earthwork where Garrett Shortcut Rd will go under the future highway, and the clearing at the stub end of the current freeway near Somerset, but it didn't work out that way.  I wanted to get more in general, but after all the driving I had already done back from the beach, this was about all I had left in me (since I still had to make it the rest of the way to Pittsburgh.)

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Tom958

Thanks! I enjoyed the photos and the narrative.  :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.