News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 03, 2011, 03:11:23 PM
I ... asked ... if KYTC had thought about trying be included in the Texas I-69 legislation because upgrades to parkways will be relatively inexpensive to upgrade & could be done relatively soon ($$$ permitting), but completion of Ohio River bridge and Memphis to Union City sections are so far off that signage could be a problem.  My email got sent over to Ted Merryman, the I-69 Project Manager.  After reading his response, I realized I had overlooked the connections to I-24 as enabling signage :
"Congress passed H.R. 1195 in April 2008 which amended SAFETEA-LU. The bill designated Interstate 69 as the Ford Western Kentucky Parkway from I-24 to the Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway and the Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway from the Ford  Western Kentucky Parkway to Henderson.
The Cabinet is partnering with FHWA to develop an agreement for physical improvements to the parkways which will allow conversion into the Interstate System. We do not have to complete the Ohio River Bridge project prior to conversion.
EX.- There is a short section of I-69 in Mississippi."
Oh, well.  :banghead: ...

Yesterday's announcement regarding I-69 signage in Kentucky is still based on the notion of being connected to I-24.  I think it would still make sense for the Kentucky delegation to insist on amendments to the Texas I-69 legislation (HR 1535) that would allow the Kentucky parkways to be included in that bill.  Doing so might accelerate I-69 signage in Kentucky and allow Kentucky to hit an I-69 home run far exceeding 55 miles.  Here is a link to an article describing how Kentucky is starting in the middle of the state and that the agreement with FHWA announced yesterday might serve as a model for getting I-69 signage on the Pennyrile and Breathitt Parkways:
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/sep/01/no-headline---ev_i69/

Indiana has started building its portion of new Interstate 69 near Evansville and is moving north. Tennessee has started building its portion at the Kentucky state line and is heading south.
But it looks as though Kentucky will start work in the middle of its section of the Canada-to-Mexico highway.
Gov. Steve Beshear announced Wednesday that Kentucky soon will be permitted to install I-69 signs along the Western Kentucky Parkway as well as a short section of Interstate 24 near Eddyville.
That will mean a 55-mile stretch from Madisonville to near Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park will bear the red, white and blue I-69 shield – the first in a series of efforts to extend the interstate across Western Kentucky.
"The first domino has fallen,"  Henderson Chamber of Commerce President Brad Schneider said.
"For the average person, they need a tangible sign – pardon the pun – that I-69 can actually happen in Western Kentucky,"  Schneider said. "We've been talking about and talking about this. ... To see actual I-69 signs hung in Western Kentucky is a tremendous achievement."  ...
Aside from the moral victory of being permitted to hang I-69 signs along the Western Kentucky Parkway and I-24, Schneider said the agreement may pave the way for a future agreement to identify the Breathitt/Pennyrile Parkway as part of the I-69 corridor from Henderson to south of Madisonville.
Upgrading the Pennyrile will include completing the Kentucky 416 interchange at Robards in Henderson County and reconstructing the Kentucky 56 interchange at Sebree in Webster County to interstate standards.
Final phases will include upgrading the Purchase Parkway in far-Western Kentucky to reach the Tennessee border and the Henderson-Evansville bridge.

Here's a link to a summary of HR 1535:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d112:2:./temp/~bdhfHD:@@@D&summ2=m&

SUMMARY AS OF:
4/14/2011--Introduced.

Amends the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 to include U.S. Route 83 from U.S. Route 281 to U.S. Route 77 as part of the high priority Lower Rio Grande Valley Corridor of the National Highway System in Texas.
Declares that the requirement of connection to an existing Interstate System segment shall not apply to segments of the Lower Rio Grande Valley Corridor or to the U.S. Route 59 Corridor from Laredo through Houston to near Texarkana, Texas.

Stephane Dumas

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 15, 2011, 09:37:07 PM
Someone on Google maps decided to put the I-69 signs
http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.429069,-87.503357&spn=0.845158,1.757813&t=m&z=10&vpsrc=6

Google has been doing that for awhile on any "Future" Interstate that has the "Future Interstate Corridor" signage.

Anthony_JK

Gee....does that mean, then, that LA can now drop I-49 shields on the completed freeway segments of US 90 and automatically designate them as Interstates, too?? AWESOME...Lafayette now has its own "Cajun Breezwood"!! (Evangeline Thruway)  :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:

And...I've seen no I-49 shields as of yet on US 90 segments in Google Maps or Google Earth..but it's been a while.

Anthony

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 16, 2011, 12:22:15 AM
AWESOME...Lafayette now has its own "Cajun Breezwood"!! (Evangeline Thruway)  :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
Anthony

I like the sound of that.  :-D :-P
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ssummers72

It appears Kentucky is going to sign I-69 according to this contract:

http://transportation.ky.gov/Construction-Procurement/Pages/lettings.aspx?letting=10/21/2011

Then select "Notice to Contractors"

See Call 200 for details.

It involves signing for I-69 along I-24 from the Purchase Parkway to the Western Kentucky Parkway, then along the Western Kentucky Parkway.

ssummers72

It is official according to this article.
I-69 is going to be signed in Kentucky.
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/oct/18/i-69-unveiling/

agentsteel53

will the shields have the state name on them?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Our sorry excuse for a governor is holding a re-election campaign event sign unveiling ceremony next Tuesday. After that, Kentucky will have the third-most miles of I-69, following Michigan and Indiana.

Don't know if the signs have the state name on them or not, but I have heard that the sign assemblies will be "I-69, Formerly WK Parkway" so it appears as if the WK Parkway will be truncated to the Pennyrile Parkway interchange.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2011, 10:34:59 PM
Don't know if the signs have the state name on them or not, but I have heard that the sign assemblies will be "I-69, Formerly WK Parkway" so it appears as if the WK Parkway will be truncated to the Pennyrile Parkway interchange.

Please let me know if the WK Parkway is officially truncated so I can update it on the CHM project correctly. ;)

codyg1985

I wonder what the sign below the I-69 shield will look like. That's almost worth a trip up there to find out. ;)
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Probably the existing shield. My guess is it will look similar to this:

Alex

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 21, 2011, 07:31:40 AM

I wonder what the sign below the I-69 shield will look like. That's almost worth a trip up there to find out. ;)

I am probably gonna do it as part of an AARoads trip somewhere.

Grzrd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 20, 2011, 01:44:18 PM
will the shields have the state name on them?
Here's a link to an article with some photos from the ceremony - no state name:
http://isurfhopkins.com/local/13407-beshear-says-i-69-is-now-on-the-kentucky-map.html

agentsteel53

rats!

I know some districts in KY are going back to the state name but apparently this is not one of them.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

That looks like it might be a sign for a BGS.  I bet once we see some pictures of the shields on the highway itself, we'll see some state named I-69 signs.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 25, 2011, 06:14:53 PM
rats!

I know some districts in KY are going back to the state name but apparently this is not one of them.

This is I-24 country, and I have never seen a state-name I-24 shield.

Grzrd

Here's a link to a TV news report with a good closeup of an in the field "SOUTH" I-69 no-state shield assembly next to a "FORMERLY WEST" "FORMERLY WESTERN KY PARKWAY ["Wendell H. Ford" is also above Western Ky Parkway] sign assembly (closeup is approximately at 1:55 mark):
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/ky-state-news/Beshear-Puts-I-69-On-The-Map-132568533.html

The "Kentucky Unbridled Spirit" logo is also at the bottom of the "Formerly" sign assembly

NE2

Anyone know for sure if the overlap with I-24 has been signed? The above link says "Eddyville to Nortonville" but 55 miles, which includes the I-24 overlap west of Eddyville.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

What I'm wondering is if they have changed any exit numbers yet.  Both I-69 and the Western KY Parkway will both need to be renumbered.  Plus, when they do approve I-69 South of I-24, they'll start running into duplicate numbers if they don't go ahead and change them on the new I-69 segment.  I mean, come on, they already know the route, the mileage for that section of I-69, so just put up the dang new exit #'s.

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on October 26, 2011, 06:45:31 PM
Anyone know for sure if the overlap with I-24 has been signed? The above link says "Eddyville to Nortonville" but 55 miles, which includes the I-24 overlap west of Eddyville.

This article indicates that the overlap with I-24 has been signed:
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/oct/25/kentucky-gov-steve-beshear-unveils-i-69-signs/

Under a gleaming October sky, Gov. Steve Beshear in essence saluted the red, white and blue on Tuesday afternoon.
It wasn't the American flag – he was talking about the new Interstate 69 signs that have been placed along 55 miles of the Western Kentucky Parkway and Interstate 24 from just south of Madisonville to just past Eddyville.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 26, 2011, 08:48:30 PM
What I'm wondering is if they have changed any exit numbers yet.  Both I-69 and the Western KY Parkway will both need to be renumbered.  Plus, when they do approve I-69 South of I-24, they'll start running into duplicate numbers if they don't go ahead and change them on the new I-69 segment.  I mean, come on, they already know the route, the mileage for that section of I-69, so just put up the dang new exit #'s.

Did you mean I-24 would have to be renumbered instead of I-69?

My prediction is that I-24 will retain its exit numbers. The Purchase Parkway segment will be able to keep its exit numbers because no matter whether the route is Purchase Parkway or I-24, the numbering scheme will start at 0 at the Tennessee state line. There shouldn't be any exit number duplication between the I-69 Purchase Parkway exits and the 24-69 concurrency. And even if there is, it won't matter. The 64/75 concurrency has an Exit 113 in Lexington (based on 75's exit numbers) and I-64 has an Exit 113 just 30 miles east of Lexington at Mt. Sterling.

They'll have to change the exit numbers on the WK Parkway east of the Pennyrile, but that's no big deal since Kentucky uses demountable copy. They can just take a bucket truck and take the old numbers off the signs and bolt some new ones on.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2011, 10:52:31 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 26, 2011, 08:48:30 PM

Did you mean I-24 would have to be renumbered instead of I-69?

No, I did mean I-69 in reference to the newly posted segment that's NOT part of I-24.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2011, 10:52:31 AM
They'll have to change the exit numbers on the WK Parkway east of the Pennyrile, but that's no big deal since Kentucky uses demountable copy. They can just take a bucket truck and take the old numbers off the signs and bolt some new ones on.

Yeah, that's the section I was talking about.  That's the section that if it's using the old WKY Parkway's numbers, would have to be renumbered.  I'm just wondering when that will be happening (so I can do the I-69 file for the CHM project correctly).  If the numbers aren't going to be changed soon, I'll just use the WKY Parkway's numbers on the file for now.  I'll also use the old numbers for the remaining segment of the WKY Parkway if they aren't going to be changing them soon.

hbelkins

If I hear anything, I will let you know. Someone posted a question about exit numbers on one of the KYTC district FB pages in that area, but I don't know if it got answered or not.

Exit numbers on the Natcher are changing as a result of that route's extension from I-65 to US 231. They are increasing by two. So Exit 1 becomes Exit 3, Exit 40 (hypothetical) becomes Exit 42.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.