News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

West Virginia circle shield

Started by agentsteel53, June 27, 2013, 01:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

What the crap? Do these actually exist?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2013, 07:50:20 PM

I have never seen that. Wiki FTL.

seicer

"Delta Road System - consists of those roads in the public domain by virtue of common public use over a long period of time, where title to the right-of-way is indeterminate; although considered to be part of the SLS System, due to the lack of title to the right-of-way, delta roads are eligible only for routine maintenance and may not necessarily meet the standards set for SLS routes; the State assumed sole responsibility for maintenance of delta roads in l966 and is currently eliminating this classification by either including these roads in the county route system or removing them from the State road inventory, depending on their current use."

"...the delta road marker has a black number inside a white triangle on a green background..."

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/wvroads/system.pdf

Is this the same with the shield modified?

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2013, 07:39:18 PM

I've never heard of a "CAR" bannered route before.

I guess if east-is-to-west, then car-is-to-truck...Sorta.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 01, 2013, 05:44:43 PM
ha, yeah, I edited my post to say "not 857; that's the only one I have seen a circle shield for".

any others?

I have seen, and have photographed, the following:

CR 120, off US 52 in the southern part of the state between Bluefield and Welch.
CR 56, at the I-77/US 33/WV 2 exit.
CR 21, fully posted from Charleston to Parkersburg.
CR 151, which is old US 33 between Buckhannon and Elkins.
CR 73, which is old WV 73 between Fairmont and Morgantown.

Quote from: Steve on July 01, 2013, 07:44:46 PM
Non-fractionals are signed often enough that it's really not worth mentioning. I've never seen a standalone fractional shield, only on green signs, although one of those "Funded by XX Agency" signs had one with a black square background as if a shield.

I actually think I've seen one, and probably photographed it, but I'd have to go wading back through my pictures to to double-check. Can't remember where off the top of my head, however.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr_Northside

As of a year ago, there were three CR-3 shields on the Brandonville Pike (Preston County), 2 in one direction, 1 the other, in between I-68 and Terra Alta.  None had cardinal direction banners.

http://goo.gl/maps/F0ZUR
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Bitmapped

Quote from: Steve on July 01, 2013, 08:01:33 PM

I've never seen HARP roads on standalone signage.  They are basically just driveways, so there would be no real point in that.  All the HARP signage is done in conjunction with the road name (like WVDOH's standard county route name sign).

NE2

Actually I'm asking whether fractional HARPs exist.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bitmapped

Quote from: formulanone on July 01, 2013, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2013, 07:39:18 PM

I've never heard of a "CAR" bannered route before.

I guess if east-is-to-west, then car-is-to-truck...Sorta.

They are trying to heavily emphasize that (normal, actual) CR 82 heading down into the New River Gorge is for cars only, not trucks.  The road is built into the side of a cliff.  A truck of any significance would get hung up and be very difficult to remove.

Bitmapped

Quote from: NE2 on July 10, 2013, 10:27:50 AM
Actually I'm asking whether fractional HARPs exist.

They do.  They're just not posted on standalone shield-only signage.

Some counties seem to use whole numbers for their HARP routes.  Some counties use fractions (where they are generally all numbered 70x/yy, no matter the route they physically branch off from).  There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern.

froggie

Pretty sure I've seen factional HARP numbers in some of the eastern WV counties.  But in my travels, aside from 857, I have not seen a standalone county route shield.  The county routes are posted on what are effectively streetblade signs (as they also include the street/road name).

logan230

Quote from: hbelkins on June 27, 2013, 10:44:27 PM
I've only seen a couple of "delta route" markers in all my WV travels. One was off of WV 49 south of Matewan; the other was off of CR 857 between Cheat Lake and the Pennsylvania state line.
I believe there might be one in Jane Lew, although it might be renumbered to a fractional route.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on July 14, 2013, 03:21:54 AM
Pretty sure I've seen factional HARP numbers in some of the eastern WV counties.  But in my travels, aside from 857, I have not seen a standalone county route shield.  The county routes are posted on what are effectively streetblade signs (as they also include the street/road name).
CR 21, CR 120, CR 151. CR 21 is of course old US 21; CR 120 and CR 151 are major enough to get control cities (as are a few others; also note that some of the listed routes, e.g. WV 204, were never upgraded to primary).

[edit]Another one: CR 17 (connects two parts of a Virginia Byway)

hbelkins

Also CR 73 (former WV 73). Signed with a standalone route marker in at least one place; on US 119 southbound climbing the hill out of Morgantown. Had the hardest time getting a picture of it because of driving rainstorms at least twice, but I finally succeeded.

Reading the list that NE2 posted the link for, there are a number of state primary routes listed that I don't recall seeing on maps. i know that some of them aren't posted with route markers (such as WV 6 or the east end bridge in Huntington).

Also, LSR? Never seen that abbreviation for county routes before. Any ideas what it means?

amroad17

On the control cities link, why would I-64 need Williamsport, MD as a control city?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NE2

Quote from: amroad17 on October 17, 2014, 03:32:57 AM
On the control cities link, why would I-64 need Williamsport, MD as a control city?
Obvious cockup; look at what route's in the right column.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

formulanone

Quote from: Alps on July 01, 2013, 08:01:33 PM

Major thread-bump, but it turns out they're the real deal.

Here's one alongside US 11 in Marlowe / Falling Water, and there were several more:

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on October 18, 2019, 07:35:13 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 01, 2013, 08:01:33 PM

Major thread-bump, but it turns out they're the real deal.

Here's one alongside US 11 in Marlowe / Falling Water, and there were several more:

Those are called "HARP" routes. Basically, glorified driveways serving more than one home. SP Cook has the details on how they came into being. They're close to, but not exactly, a successor to the "delta" routes that WV used to post.

Quote from: SP Cook on June 29, 2013, 07:07:14 AM
There are no more Delta routes in WV.  The political history is that there was a big federal government take everybody to jail event in the 1960s at the then called State Road Department.   In WV there are a lot of roads that just developed.  Coal company built it, early settlers built it, railroad built it, whatever.  People live there, somebody has to keep it up and, as noted, WV has no real county highway departments, "County" (the circle signed routes) is just a lesser quality (generally) state highway.  So, the state was in the practice of fixing all of these back roads, but there was no accounting.  A "road" a crew "fixed" might be some pol's driveway, or might just be "we took the gravel and sold it and split the cash".  Since there was no way to account, there was no way to check.  So, as a result of the investigation, they came up with the "Delta" route, which were roads to which the state made no right of way claim but which none-the-less repaired by the state.   All road work has to be "charged off" to a route number  and a mileage.  So, if you say you did X to Delta 78, 3 miles from the JCT of CR 6/89, then an inspector can go look at it and there better be X there.  However, this was just a short term way to get the corruption under control.    By the mid 70s all Delta routes were either established right of way in the state and became County routes, or were abandoned and no longer are under state maintainance.  Any Delta signage you see today is just old signage that never got taken down.

As to the "pentagon", this is not the standard county route pentagon sign used in most states, which has equal sides and rounded corners.  Its supposed to be a picture of a little house (think monopoly houses) with unequal sides and sharp corners.   The program was under a single term governor, Underwood.  The program was called "HARP", for Home Access Roads Program.  It was all politics.  People up a holler, or in a subdivision, filled out a petition and got a sign and "maintain at the current standard" status.  There was no right of way check.  The next gov cancelled it on day one.  But the state is stuck with all of these HARPs, which it has to keep up.  Technically, they are County routes, you would account for work on one as "County HARP 456" for example.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 01, 2013, 05:35:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 28, 2013, 08:25:55 PM

Very few WV county routes have standalone shields. Most are signed with the road name and the arrow in a rectangular green sign. They have always been signed like this dating back to my memory in the 60s.

now that I think about it, I have not ever seen a standalone shield for a fractional route.  just green signs.

anyone got a photo of a standalone?

Ask and ye shall receive, eons later.

Rothman

Yeah, I have seen the fractional HARP route before and "glorified driveway" was an exaggeration.  One particular one I saw was a two-track with some gravel on it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on October 29, 2019, 08:47:01 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2019, 11:41:31 AM

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 01, 2013, 05:35:42 PM

Ask and ye shall receive, eons later.

I'm pretty sure Jake won't see that, bro.

Nobody will see it until they get my domain name registration straightened out.

Mapmikey

Thread bump because I found one in the field...

This is off WV 28 just outside Romney.  It is a full-size fractional route reassurance shield, a circle inside a normal WV state route marker (the GMSV is 4 years old - the black fill-in between circle and edges of sign has faded out a lot more).  Looks to be from the 1970s:

https://goo.gl/maps/82s7QnxYnSY4uMZf7

Thing 342

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.