News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New OK designations: SH-351 and SH-364

Started by Scott5114, March 06, 2014, 11:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I just got home from driving the entire length of the Muskogee Turnpike in both directions and there are no OK 351 signs along it.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on May 27, 2014, 03:10:19 PM
I just got home from driving the entire length of the Muskogee Turnpike in both directions and there are no OK 351 signs along it.

Aw, you know they were there, but hidden in the tall grass :)
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Rick1962

Signing plans are now online on the OTA website: https://www.pikepass.com/pdf/SP-54%20Plan.pdf.

Be forewarned, the signs look to be of the usual OTA quality design, but for those who are fans of FHWA Series "C", you just might enjoy them!

Scott5114

It looks like the Creek and Muskogee turnpike shields will be completely retired and replaced by SH-351/SH-364 shields. These are actually Series B, which is part of the standard for three-digit state routes. There are a couple of instances of SH-51 shields in this document that are diagrammed to three-digit width, complete with Series B font.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rick1962

The Series "C" I was referring to is on some new BGSs in the plan set. I don't know why OTA likes narrow fonts (look at the signage on the Will Rogers Tpk.), but it looks awful. Like much of their signage.

Kindle Fire 2

rte66man

Since the new standard for Turnpike signs is purple, I wonder what OTA's excuse is for still creating yellow signs.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

route56

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 29, 2014, 03:29:35 PM
Interesting that there's no Clearview...

They must have gotten the FHWA memo regarding the plan to revoke interim approval of Clearview.

It also means that the butt-ugly sign for the Creek Turnpike near the 169/Creek split will be replaced. Unfortunately, I lost my photo of that sign. Could someone in Tulsa get a new "before" picture (and an "after" to verify that the new sign is actually an improvment)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

bugo

Quote from: route56 on August 30, 2014, 10:34:06 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 29, 2014, 03:29:35 PM
Interesting that there's no Clearview...

They must have gotten the FHWA memo regarding the plan to revoke interim approval of Clearview.

It also means that the butt-ugly sign for the Creek Turnpike near the 169/Creek split will be replaced. Unfortunately, I lost my photo of that sign. Could someone in Tulsa get a new "before" picture (and an "after" to verify that the new sign is actually an improvment)

I think somebody has a picture of it.  If not, I can get one.

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on August 31, 2014, 07:40:37 AM

There was a thread in the Road Related Illustrations forum it seems for the sign in question, but following it back to a post in the Worst of Road Signs thread only turns up a blank image.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8913.0

(Keep following the quotes and you should arrive at Scott5114's post where the image should be)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

route56

Quote from: Zeffy on August 31, 2014, 08:54:23 AM
Quote from: bugo on August 31, 2014, 07:40:37 AM

There was a thread in the Road Related Illustrations forum it seems for the sign in question, but following it back to a post in the Worst of Road Signs thread only turns up a blank image.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8913.0

(Keep following the quotes and you should arrive at Scott5114's post where the image should be)

The picture you are referring to is from my photoset. The image link is dead because I have moved my photos from route56.com to Flickr.

45781 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr

There was a second guide sign, located just downstream of this gantry. I got a pic of that one; however, it is irretrievably lost.

(The loss of that picture is partially what led me to move my photos to flickr.)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Scott5114

I don't think these are going to be replaced, actually. Looking at the sign plan, while the sign with this legend looks totally different (it is in EM with much better kerning and such), it is grayed out and only the SH-364 shield is highlighted, with the text "New Placard". I think the Creek Turnpike shield is just going to be patched over with a SH-364 shield.

bugo

OK 364 is now signed on US 412 eastbound. No signs on the WB Creek mainline yet. I'll get pics ASAP.

bugo

US71

Quote from: bugo on September 09, 2014, 08:58:24 AM

Taken less than an hour ago.
WIN for first sighting, but the overall sign with the different size fonts is ugly
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

That sign may be goofy looking, but it's still better looking than any Clearview sign.

okc1

With that size font, they could have put "Oklahoma" instead of "Okla"
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on September 09, 2014, 09:32:13 AM
That sign may be goofy looking, but it's still better looking than any Clearview sign.

Yeah, I second this notion. Though I'm really unsure how someone could mess up the scaling that bad on something like GuidSIGN or SignCAD...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Rick1962

Quote from: Zeffy on September 09, 2014, 10:22:01 AM
Though I'm really unsure how someone could mess up the scaling that bad on something like GuidSIGN or SignCAD...

OTA + Local Contractors = Amateur Hour  :banghead:

bugo

Along Creek Turnpike/US 64/US 169/OK 364 looking due east:

Creek Turnpike/OK 364 eastbound C/D lanes at Muskogee Turnpike/OK 351 cloverleaf:

The signs along the mainline haven't been changed but the signs on Yale Avenue pointing towards the turnpike are OK 364 meat cleavers.

bugo

More OK 364 goodness:

I-44/US 412 eastbound:

US 412 eastbound:

Creek Turnpike just south of 11th Street:

Stratuscaster

I'll disagree.

Scott5114

Quote from: Stratuscaster on September 10, 2014, 10:49:18 PM
I'll disagree.

X gets the square...

Stephane Dumas

I guess the OK-351 signs are now posted as well?

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.