News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: Strider on August 04, 2017, 12:08:08 AM
Yeah I saw the news.. It is crazy. They want a interstate to connect I-85 and I-95 by upgrading US 421... meaning that the corridor will be from Greensboro to Fayetteville. I am not sure we need another interstate heading from Greensboro going southeast... (for me, I-40/73/85/I-785/I-840 in Greensboro should be enough), but with NCDOT, I won't be surprised if it is being suggested and got approved, but what will the interstate number be?

This is starting to look like a family issue:  one kid gets a new toy, and soon all the kids want a new toy of their own to play with!  Be that as it may, it'd probably receive an even number in the 30's; 36 is vacant within the state, but 38 would work as well -- it's that short route that's an extension of SC 38 that's part of the I-73 corridor. 

Question:  since the Moncure site is on the US 1 freeway that sits perpendicular to this corridor -- and if the corridor takes off down NC 87 to Fayetteville -- BTW, with a total mileage a hair under 100 -- might not there be some push to I-designate the US 1 corridor from this route near Sanford up to Raleigh -- perhaps as a I-87 extension?  Remember, this is NC -- at this point, I wouldn't put anything of this sort past these folks! 

plain

The officials in NC would be even further past ridiculous if they even think about taking such a proposal seriously. That dude really wants to squeeze a corridor in between I-40 & I-73/74? Damn they might as well keep it going and have US 421 west of the Triad become an interstate too, all the way to the Appalachian Tri-Cities smdh. Seriously though, they don't even complete much shorter urban loops and spurs but they steady dream up more long distance interstate corridors. When will I-73 and I-74 be completed? Really to me I-74 (as a different #) should've just followed US 74 to Charlotte to connect that city to Wilmington, at least it would've made some sort of sense. Logic doesn't seem to be these planners' strong suit
Newark born, Richmond bred

sparker

Quote from: plain on August 04, 2017, 01:41:47 AM
The officials in NC would be even further past ridiculous if they even think about taking such a proposal seriously. That dude really wants to squeeze a corridor in between I-40 & I-73/74? Damn they might as well keep it going and have US 421 west of the Triad become an interstate too, all the way to the Appalachian Tri-Cities smdh. Seriously though, they don't even complete much shorter urban loops and spurs but they steady dream up more long distance interstate corridors. When will I-73 and I-74 be completed? Really to me I-74 (as a different #) should've just followed US 74 to Charlotte to connect that city to Wilmington, at least it would've made some sort of sense. Logic doesn't seem to be these planners' strong suit

Planners?  We're NC -- we don't need no stinking planners!  We want a new Interstate, we get a new Interstate.  And thanks for mentioning a E-W corridor via Charlotte and US 74; we'll get around to that one soon enough!  BTW, have you met our new intern?  Some kid named Fritz!

LM117

The only way that interstate has a chance of happening is if it ends in Fayetteville. It would be much easier to get approved if it was sold as a way to link Fort Bragg to the Midwest via connections to I-77 (via I-40 & US-52/I-74), and I-73. Anytime the military is involved, support usually goes up tenfold, especially at the federal level. Eastern NC was very successful in getting their future/existing interstates because of that. I-42, I-87, and I-795 all have military base(s) along their corridors. I-587 is the only one that does not. Greenville's population and role as the economic and medical hub of eastern NC and the ease of upgrading an already freeway-grade US-264 made I-587 a shoe-in.

In addition to US-421, NC-87 would need upgraded as well as a bypass of Spring Lake along with upgrading the interchange with NC-295 (Future I-295).
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Henry

I'm not surprised by this at all. Lots of new numbers could work here, like I-79 to align with the Erie-Pittsburgh-Charleston route further north, or failing that, I-195, I-395, I-595, I-695, I-895 or I-995. Better yet, combine that with I-785 and probably make it a southern I-99! (ducks for cover)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bob7374

NCDOT has published its 2018-2027 Final STIP document. It is available in 2 volumes at:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/State-Transportation-Improvement-Program.aspx

Among items that caught my eye: Feasibility Study to upgrade US 64 to Interstate Standards from Raleigh to Williamston (I-87 corridor).
Widening I-85 from Durham to I-40 in Orange County to 6-lanes to start in 2023.
6 projects to upgrade intersections to interchanges or bridges along US 74 between Lumberton and Whiteville for Future I-74 to start by 2024.
No mention of any project to upgrade US 52 to Interstate Standards north of Winston-Salem for I-74, but a project to improve the I-40/US 52 interchange and add a lane along US 52 from south of Winston-Salem to the Future I-74 W-S Beltway interchange could help chances in getting I-285 signed.
Document now has map of projects at the start of each Division section.

Strider

I-73/I-74 will be completed in the state within 20 years, since it seems like since NCDOT is so keen on adding more freeways that have some significance (or pointless), not counting I-42. Sorry, I still think I-87 is a unnecessary freeway at this time.

I think some planners in NCDOT seem to be out of control, OR.. they are trying to stay active. Maybe a competition against Texas for most interstates?

They should always complete freeways that has been on the planning stages since 1990s FIRST before moving on new freeways. Apparently that isn't the case in here.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on August 04, 2017, 05:12:19 AM
The only way that interstate has a chance of happening is if it ends in Fayetteville. It would be much easier to get approved if it was sold as a way to link Fort Bragg to the Midwest via connections to I-77 (via I-40 & US-52/I-74), and I-73. Anytime the military is involved, support usually goes up tenfold, especially at the federal level. Eastern NC was very successful in getting their future/existing interstates because of that. I-42, I-87, and I-795 all have military base(s) along their corridors. I-587 is the only one that does not. Greenville's population and role as the economic and medical hub of eastern NC and the ease of upgrading an already freeway-grade US-264 made I-587 a shoe-in.

In addition to US-421, NC-87 would need upgraded as well as a bypass of Spring Lake along with upgrading the interchange with NC-295 (Future I-295).

Yeah I agree, if it is a Greensboro-Fayetteville corridor, it will get approved easily because of the military base near Fayetteville. 100 miles seem to be around where Fayetteville is from Greensboro. (technically it is 94 miles, but if it is to connect to I-95, it is probably another 6 miles or so via I-295)

Now, speaking of I-295/Murchison Rd interchange,  I am starting to wonder if the flyover ramps that was built from I-295 to Murchison Rd North, which is also NC-87 along with NC-210 and NC-24 is the start of a possible new interstate corridor?

Roadsguy

I-38? Yes it's more north-south, but so is parallel I-40 from Raleigh down, and we have way more even numbers to spare than odd. Maybe with all the other positional violations, it's time they broke from the directional pattern and just signed it north-south.

Ideally it could follow 87 and feed into NC 210/Murchison Rd to end at 295 in Fayetteville, but maybe they could manage to connect the All-American Fwy to the MLK Jr. Fwy to have it end at 95. Then the rest of the MLK Fwy could connect to Business 95 and we could have a legitimate I-238. :colorful:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

wdcrft63

There certainly is a big "me too" effect going on here. Let's remember that these ideas are not coming from NCDOT but from local politicians and boosters. I expect the agency may be getting a little concerned about the big backlog of upgrade projects required by these new interstate designations. Of course the danger (for NCDOT) is that Congress can jump in and declare new interstate routes without listening to anyone except the politicians/boosters.

Finrod

Make the new interstate along the US 421 corridor also run about 5 miles west cosigned with I-85 so it can be numbered I-173.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Third Strike

Charlotte should get into this action and ask the NCDOT to upgrade NC 24 from I-485 to Fayetteville. Go for a double whammy and upgrade NC 24 past Fayetteville to Jacksonville. Such a route would also cross US 1, which would directly connect the two largest metros in the state.

It's interesting how there hasn't been a new interstate in Charlotte since when I-77 was constructed. I guess the metro is more interested in upgrading its current infrastructure than creating new roads that won't be completed in several decades, with the exception of US 74.

LM117

Another upcoming project on I-95. This time in Johnston County.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14191

QuoteRALEIGH — Work will soon be underway to replace two aging bridges and repave a seven-mile section of I-95 in Johnston County. The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $53.1 million contract to Fred Smith Co. of Raleigh to smooth I-95 between south of Lizzie Mill Road and the Wilson County line and replace the bridges.

This section of road sees nearly 36,000 vehicles per day and number is expected to increase to almost 42,000 over the next two decades. In addition to paving, the contract includes grading and drainage work.

The bridges over I-95 at Lizzie Mill Road and Bizzell Grove Church Road will be replaced with longer and wider bridges to accommodate any future widening of I-95. The current bridges are 61 and 59 years old, respectively. Both are classified as functionally obsolete, meaning that they were built to standards no longer in use.

Most of the repaving will take place at night, but some daytime lane closures are expected. There will be periodic night-time closures of I-95 for the bridge construction and detours will be in place. NCDOT will notify the public ahead of these closures.

Work can begin Aug. 28 and is expected to be complete by September 2020. Additional vegetation work may continue until March 2021.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Third Strike on August 05, 2017, 04:34:46 AM
Charlotte should get into this action and ask the NCDOT to upgrade NC 24 from I-485 to Fayetteville. Go for a double whammy and upgrade NC 24 past Fayetteville to Jacksonville. Such a route would also cross US 1, which would directly connect the two largest metros in the state.

It's interesting how there hasn't been a new interstate in Charlotte since when I-77 was constructed. I guess the metro is more interested in upgrading its current infrastructure than creating new roads that won't be completed in several decades, with the exception of US 74.

I think once the Ashboro bypass is complete, you may see the slow freewayization of the NC49 corridor commence.

sparker

With the construction activity going on along or parallel to US 74 both west (Shelby area) and east (Monroe bypass toll road) of Charlotte, within the next decade or so it wouldn't be surprising to see a decided push for an east-west Interstate corridor (I-26 to Rockingham) encompassing those routes by folks from the greater Charlotte region -- giving everyone an opportunity to guess what number would be selected (my money's on 36!). 

TimQuiQui

Quote from: sparker on August 05, 2017, 02:12:05 PM

With the construction activity going on along or parallel to US 74 both west (Shelby area) and east (Monroe bypass toll road) of Charlotte, within the next decade or so it wouldn't be surprising to see a decided push for an east-west Interstate corridor (I-26 to Rockingham) encompassing those routes by folks from the greater Charlotte region -- giving everyone an opportunity to guess what number would be selected (my money's on 36!).

Problem there is that 74 through Charlotte itself is never likely to be upgraded to interstate standards. Its current upgrade is to a pure expressway from Uptown to the Monroe Expressway and that's hard to see changing again to a freeway at any point in the future. City leaders fought tooth and nail for any upgrades to be purely expressway as part of their community planning packages. They blame the original expressway portion (which is built as 2.5 miles of freeway) as killing the community in the area and have been highly involved in future upgrades.

I've always thought we'll see an Interstate designation for 74 from 85 to 26, probably some x26 designation. Charlotte to Rockingham is certainly possible, but in that case I think it would either have to end at 485 or follow 485 to 77

sparker

Quote from: TimQuiQui on August 06, 2017, 09:36:49 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 05, 2017, 02:12:05 PM

Problem there is that 74 through Charlotte itself is never likely to be upgraded to interstate standards. Its current upgrade is to a pure expressway from Uptown to the Monroe Expressway and that's hard to see changing again to a freeway at any point in the future. City leaders fought tooth and nail for any upgrades to be purely expressway as part of their community planning packages. They blame the original expressway portion (which is built as 2.5 miles of freeway) as killing the community in the area and have been highly involved in future upgrades.

I've always thought we'll see an Interstate designation for 74 from 85 to 26, probably some x26 designation. Charlotte to Rockingham is certainly possible, but in that case I think it would either have to end at 485 or follow 485 to 77

I always figured that any E-W corridor via greater Charlotte would simply multiplex over the south side of I-485 anyway; taking it through the central city would likely be an exercise in both political and logistic futility. 

LM117

Public meeting tonight regarding I-440's rebuild.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14209

QuoteRALEIGH — The N.C. Department of Transportation will hold an open-house public meeting and a combined public hearing tomorrow, Tuesday, Aug. 8, regarding proposed improvements to I-440 in Wake County.

These suggested improvements — I-440 between just south of Walnut Street in Cary and north of Wade Avenue in Raleigh — are needed to improve traffic flow, access and efficiency along the roadway. Changes include widening the roadway from four to six lanes, replacing pavement and bridges and upgrading interchanges. More information on these improvements, including project maps, is available online at https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-440improvements/.

The meeting and presentation will be held at the McKimmon Center, 1101 Gorman St. in Raleigh. Interested residents may attend the meeting any time between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.  The public hearing begins at 7 p.m.

NCDOT representatives will be available to answer questions and listen to comments regarding the project.

For questions or additional project information, contact Diane Wilson, NCDOT Senior Public Involvement Officer, at 919-707-6073 or pdwilson1@ncdot.gov.

LM117

Meredith College is having a tizzy over the amount of land NCDOT plans to take for the I-440 widening project.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article165894987.html

QuoteThe president of Meredith College says the N.C. Department of Transportation's plans to widen the Beltline in West Raleigh will eat up valuable chunks of her campus and is asking DOT to go back to the drawing board.

Jo Allen will speak at a public hearing on Tuesday, Aug. 8, that is expected to draw others who will be impacted when DOT widens the Beltline from four to six lanes and reconfigures several interchanges between Wade Avenue and Walnut Street in Cary. The hearing at the McKimmon Conference and Training Center at 1101 Gorman St. in Raleigh will begin with an open house from 4:30 to 7 p.m., followed by a formal presentation at 7 p.m.

NCDOT expects to spend at least $400 million on a 3.5-mile stretch of Interstate 440 that dates back to 1960. It's the only four-lane section of the Beltline, causing traffic bottlenecks that also result in a relatively high number of crashes, said Joey Hopkins, the DOT district engineer in charge of the project.

Hopkins acknowledged that the DOT's current plans for the project would affect property owners and institutions that line the Beltline, as the state takes land to accommodate the wider highway and reconfigured interchanges. They include N.C. State University, the N.C. Museum of Art, the owners and residents of dozens of homes and apartments — and Meredith, where parking lots and athletic fields the college plans to use for future growth would largely be taken by DOT.

"Meredith College appreciates the need to improve I-440's traffic flow,"  Allen said in a statement released Monday. "But plans put forth by the N.C. Department of Transportation are not reasonable as they could wipe out a significant portion of the western side of Meredith's campus. Meredith's students, faculty, staff and supporters call upon the N.C. Department of Transportation to come up with more equitable plans that pose fewer impacts on this historic campus."

The challenge for DOT engineers is that the I-440 corridor is narrow, with buildings and property on both sides. Shifting the road away from Meredith's campus would simply take more property on the other side, where the University Club already stands to lose all its tennis courts and its parking lot.

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on August 04, 2017, 02:15:44 AM

Planners?  We're NC -- we don't need no stinking planners!  We want a new Interstate, we get a new Interstate.  And thanks for mentioning a E-W corridor via Charlotte and US 74; we'll get around to that one soon enough!  BTW, have you met our new intern?  Some kid named Fritz!

Haha.  :-D :clap:

While we're at it, let's just extend I-87 southwest down to Rockingham and make US64 an interstate so that it bypasses Winston-Salem and Greensboro.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

plain

Quote from: LM117 on August 08, 2017, 01:00:44 PM
Meredith College is having a tizzy over the amount of land NCDOT plans to take for the I-440 widening project.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article165894987.html

QuoteThe president of Meredith College says the N.C. Department of Transportation's plans to widen the Beltline in West Raleigh will eat up valuable chunks of her campus and is asking DOT to go back to the drawing board.

Jo Allen will speak at a public hearing on Tuesday, Aug. 8, that is expected to draw others who will be impacted when DOT widens the Beltline from four to six lanes and reconfigures several interchanges between Wade Avenue and Walnut Street in Cary. The hearing at the McKimmon Conference and Training Center at 1101 Gorman St. in Raleigh will begin with an open house from 4:30 to 7 p.m., followed by a formal presentation at 7 p.m.

NCDOT expects to spend at least $400 million on a 3.5-mile stretch of Interstate 440 that dates back to 1960. It's the only four-lane section of the Beltline, causing traffic bottlenecks that also result in a relatively high number of crashes, said Joey Hopkins, the DOT district engineer in charge of the project.

Hopkins acknowledged that the DOT's current plans for the project would affect property owners and institutions that line the Beltline, as the state takes land to accommodate the wider highway and reconfigured interchanges. They include N.C. State University, the N.C. Museum of Art, the owners and residents of dozens of homes and apartments — and Meredith, where parking lots and athletic fields the college plans to use for future growth would largely be taken by DOT.

"Meredith College appreciates the need to improve I-440's traffic flow,"  Allen said in a statement released Monday. "But plans put forth by the N.C. Department of Transportation are not reasonable as they could wipe out a significant portion of the western side of Meredith's campus. Meredith's students, faculty, staff and supporters call upon the N.C. Department of Transportation to come up with more equitable plans that pose fewer impacts on this historic campus."

The challenge for DOT engineers is that the I-440 corridor is narrow, with buildings and property on both sides. Shifting the road away from Meredith's campus would simply take more property on the other side, where the University Club already stands to lose all its tennis courts and its parking lot.

Wow I'm not sure what Meredith's gripe is about.... It looks like there's ample room for the 6 laning without disrupting anything there unless NCDOT plans on some kind of super mega interchange with Wade Ave or something. Unless I'm missing something the only issue I really see is just to the south of Hillsborough St and around the Lake Cramer area. This stretch of beltline definitely needs widening, like 20 years ago

froggie

plain:  did you read the article or look at NCDOT's project website?  This project involves far more than just 6-laning the Beltline.

Finrod

Quote from: froggie on August 08, 2017, 04:36:58 PM
plain:  did you read the article or look at NCDOT's project website?  This project involves far more than just 6-laning the Beltline.

I noticed they have three different alternatives posted for how to redo I-440 at Wade Ave.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

plain

Quote from: froggie on August 08, 2017, 04:36:58 PM

What I saw a year ago was a plan for 6-laning with just a consideration for C/D lanes between Wade & Hillsborough, I had no idea they came up with all of these scenarios... admittedly I haven't kept up with the plans for this particular road because for some reason I thought they were going to try acquiring as less ROW as possible given all the important stuff there. After going over that new Environmental Assessment just now (the article itself really didn't say anything about it) I'm thinking NCDOT is a little more than ambitious with these plans. I won't be surprised if even the simplest option get watered down when it's all said and done.

michealbond

While we're at it, let's just extend I-87 southwest down to Rockingham and make US64 an interstate so that it bypasses Winston-Salem and Greensboro.

Hi all, new poster here. I moseyed on over from the city-data forums.

I know NC has been wanting an alternate highway from Raleigh to Charlotte. I would like the state to try to get I-87 to be this alternate highway.  They can run it through the US64-NC49 corridor or the US1-US501-NC27 corridor. Or they could even have it run US 64 to Asheboro, down I-74, then follow the NC 27 corridor in to 485. They could tell the feds that 87 could not only be a direct connection from Raleigh to Norfolk, but a more direct route between Charlotte and Norfolk.

I think it could become an easier, faster route between Charlotte & Raleigh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.